Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

neck joints on "top of the line" guitars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck joints on "top of the line" guitars.

I've never seen this posted here, and I thought it was about time.
    I just followed a link to a auction for a PRS custom 24. (the fred durst one).
    What the fu#k are these companies doing when they build a beautifull guitar and put you an extra 4 - 12 speaker cabinet at the damn neck joint!!!!! [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Fender USA guitars have the big block of shit there.
    Gibson USA guitars have the big block of shit there.
    And that auction was the first time I've seen the neckjoint on a PRS custom 24, and low and behold there is that damn big block of shitty wood sticking out.

It is not the 1950's. Someone needs to tell the bastards at Gibson and Fender and PRS that.
    Fender, Gibson, and PRS surely can't say "it costs to much" to put a sweet-ass neck joint like Jackson USA select series. Their guitars are way more money that what you can get a Jackson for. (well maybe not Fender USA, but still, you see where I'm at on this topic)

Gibson saw fender's neckjoint, and made it a little better with the dovetail joint or whatever they call it. But come on! Really! I would love to own a USA Gibson Les P. or a USA Strat, but I'm not gonna spend the money on one, those neck joints are ridiculous for the amount of money they charge.

I feel very strongly about the neckjoints on my Soloists. Since owning them, I will never buy another bolt on, or dovetail, or whatever the hell that PRS had on it.

The only thing that stops my hands from going up my fretboard it that it only has 24 frets. I've played some other guitars recently and when you get to about the 14th, if you're not looking, you think you've reached the end of the road because of the anti-ergonomic square edge of the joint.

Just had to let it out as this was the first time I've ever seen the PRS neckjoint, and my previous feelings about the issue.

I'm not saying that all other guitars suck. I don't think that at all, but for these big companies who are expecting (and getting) people to pay top dollar for their instruments, they should be making a better neck joint.
    Feel free to comment,
    thanks
    Nandrewjackson

Re: neck joints on "top of the line" guitars.

"Gibson saw fender's neckjoint, and made it a little better with the dovetail joint or whatever they call it."

Gibson had set necks eons before Fender existed. Leo made a removeable neck so when the frets were shot (or if the neck warped), you bought a new neck and threw the old one away. You couldn't do that with glued in necks.

Comment

"I feel very strongly about the neckjoints on my Soloists. Since owning them, I will never buy another bolt on, or dovetail, or whatever the hell that PRS had on it."

Well thats great, but to slag off every other guitar made is a little much.

21 or 22 fret bolt on guitars with a full heel are the only way a guitar ever should be made, cause thats what I like so I say so. Everything else sucks.

Comment

The extended heel on PRS didn't come around till '95. It was an attempt to remedy dead spots, particularly on the 24s. Btw, if you think the heel/joints on Fenders and Gibsons are "huge", you must have tiny hands. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

99% of people buying guitars today won't play beyong the 12th fret anyways....

Comment

Sorry fella's.
            I didn't mean it to come off as a guitar bashing thread, but more a Jackson praise type of thing.

I've heard the old "if you break the neck you can replace it theory" , it makes sense, but a stiff thousand bucks for a guitar, (USA fender) you should be a little more carefull.

I knew it was gonna attract attention, but I had to put it on the board and get it off my mind.

I was always under the impression that Fender built the first solidbody electric guitar, and that Gibson was next. (as far as the stuff that's still around)

Anyway, It's good to get it off my chest, and I know you all will respect that in some sort of "I wish this guy would shut up" kind of way.

nandrewjackson

Comment

Fender made the first mass production solidbody electric guitar, not the first solidbody electric (Bigsby can't even claim to be the first). They had been around before made by many other companies. Gibson only modified how they attached necks as they were making acoustic and electric hollow guitars beforehand.

I love my Soloists, but I don't want my Strats changed a bit. They are two totally different tools.

Comment

Originally posted by nandrewjackson:
                low and behold
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Re: neck joints on &quot;top of the line&quot; guitars.

I share your frustration with bulky neck joints.

It seems odd to me that people will put up with those large wood blocks in the way, but many of the best players do (e.g., EVH).

Looking on the bright side, we have our Jackson neck-throughs to play. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got smaller hands, and I think the bolt-on neck joints are just fine! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I kind of agree with you, because neck joints are something that have bothered me for a while. I like how Music Man and Ibanez do their bolt-on joints, and several other companies do a nice neck-thru joint like Jackson etc. I think it's interesting to see how many different ways there are to do the same thing...that is what makes life great!

Comment

Working...
                      X