What is 'wrong' with Epi V '76 RI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is 'wrong' with Epi V '76 RI?

So I sold my Concept V and my professional V, and am starting to jones for a Gibby 1976 RI. Since I already know I'll hardly ever play it, I'm wondering what the big diffs are from Gibson to Epi 1976 Reissue V's. I plan on swapping electronics, and maybe tuners if it doesn't at least have grovers. Epi's got the basic Mahogany Neck, and Alder body, knockoff electronics/Pups, and cheesy HW, but is the setup that bad? Fret dressing crap? What gives? I know, only $250 more for a gibson faded, what's so bad about them (gibson faded), other than the finish?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: What is \'wrong\' with Epi V \'76 RI?

as far as the gibson faded series V's gibson swears up and down that it's the exact same guitar as their RI's, just a cheaper finish. supposedly the same construction, materials, and quality. as for the epi, i have an LP, and yea, the tuners suck, and the pickup selector switches suck, but the rest is ok. i don't think the pickups sound too bad even, but they are a little weak.

by the way what year is your W30? i have a '68 W30 hardtop....

Comment

It was a 1970. I loved that thing, but sold it for school money. I probably should've found another way.
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I had a Gibson faded V along with two 67's (a black one and a white one) and IMO the only difference was the finish, and the faded has ebony while the 67 has rosewood. You could even strinp the satin and refin it however you want. And it already has the 500T/496R pickups and decent hadware (although I don't like the Klusen style deluxe tuners that are actually made by Gotoh).

Comment

Working...
        X