BC Rich & The Ohio Custom Shop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Rich & The Ohio Custom Shop...

Well, I finally bought a BC Rich out of the Ohio Custom shop Sight unseen, and I'd like to share a quick review for anyone who has been asking about quality issues within the last year or so.

What better way to start a new relationship with a guitar company than getting a Bich with full active electronics. I bought it off the same dealer I am getting my GMP through (it was his personal guitar). He bought it about a year ago and it sat in a case most of this time. He is thinning out his collection, and offered it to me at a rock bottom price.

Let me start by saying the guitar is phenomenal. There is incredible attention to detail that was not present during the final years of Bernie Rico. It features a Fabulous quilt top in Pagan gold, meticulous binding and frets, flawless finish and perfect construction. Even the Abalone used in the "R" on the headstock is nicer than on my 1999 custom shop warlock.

It actually plays very similiar to a Les Paul (Rounded Neck, but not like a baseball bat). Suprisingly, the neck is super fast and if you bypass all the electronics and just crank the bridge humbucker, you can really shred. Of course with the electronics, the sound combinations are almost endless. Between the Varitone and Coil splitting, I had some of the best clean sounds floating around over here in quite some time. The Preamps with the 10DB boost are absolutly killer for anything from classic blues to classic rock, and I havene't even scratched the surface of combinations.

I know you guys are a picky bunch (rightfully so) and I too am used to the quality Jackson & GMW produce. In all honest, I do not feel let down in the least with the quality of this guitar. I'm stoked, because The Big 3 for me were always Jackson , Gibson & BC Rich. We all know where Gibson is headed. I had almost written the "new" BC Rich off. This guitar has all the luxury a Les Paul should have, with 10x the sound.

Here is a closeup of the quilt:

Here is a Desktop Wallpaper I made of the guitar:

<center></center>

I hope you guys take a chance, and would love to see what you pickup!

Rich

[ March 23, 2004, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: TEKKY ]

Re: BC Rich &amp; The Ohio Custom Shop...

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Wow!

And check out the Toggle Switch Heaven! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

LMAO..now that's the RacerX we know and love! BTW, I printed out a graphic and keep it on the desk memorizing what the different toggle's do. You've got 2 Coil splits (one per pickup), 2 preamps (one per pickup), One 3 way pickup selector & one Phase Switch.

Aside from that, you've got the Varitone, 2 Volumes (1 per pickup), and then 2 more volumes (1 per preamp). And the last knob is a tone.

Rich

Comment

BTW, the Grover Imperial tuners have got to be the most comfortable tuners I've ever used, and their "art deco" casing is a trip.

rich

Comment

Originally posted by deviltronix:
          I printed out a graphic and keep it on the desk memorizing what the different toggle's do.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Bwahahaha! I can just see Rich onstage with his cheat sheet!

"Dude, killer axe!"
          "But what's with the music stand?"

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Wow, nice guitar, and nice to see them using a AAA top.

Matt

Comment

Nice to see BCR is getting on track again. I love the big Grover tuners on my Beast. Gonna get them on my MCS guitar too.

Comment

damn, looks like a control board for some computer, or something! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] very nice axe!

kevin
                the trend is dead r.i.p. dime

Comment

Wow. Just wow.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

very very cool. mahogany backs on the wings & maple or Mah, neck. also how wide is the nut. isnt it a master volume & a seperate volume for the neck pickup or are they volume for each pickup now. just trying to figure what spec they are using now. i see they are using the shallow cut.

trust me you can spends hours with a nice tube amp getting some really cool tones out of that. if you can i do suggest changing the bridge to a badass, i think they sound alot more defined than the quads.

also fit & finish on the vintage ones wasnt all that great. they actually all have flaws or just about everyone ive owned. but they were really handmade.

Comment

That Bich is really nice. It makes me want to fix up my old NJ series even more. I know it'll never be as nice as that thing, but it was my first guitar.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Killer.I love Biches!
                        I just got this KKV from Boogie Street Guitars (I mean it literally just now showed up!) I haven't had a chance to play it yet since I'm at work, but after looking over it, I can concur that the craftsmanship is awesome. No finish flaws of inlay filler madness like I've heard about lately. I'll post a more in-depth review and post better pics tomorrow, but so far so good.

Comment

Here's a better shot of the top:

Comment

Originally posted by deviltronix:
                            BTW, the Grover Imperial tuners have got to be the most comfortable tuners I've ever used, and their "art deco" casing is a trip.

rich
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gorgeous guitar!

I totally agree about the Imperials. I have them on a Hamer hollowbody and had them on my old Bich and they feel so much better than the Schallers. I also absolutely love the white binding. The ebony fretboard w/ clouds looks awesome with it.

Here are a couple of pictures of my departed Bich. It not only looked the part, but played as well as any other guitar I've tried, and it was one of the two best sounding guitars I've heard (the other being a rather unattractive $250 hamer diablo). I'm talking just the basic pickup tone w/ the preamps off. Congrats again!

Comment

That's a gorgeous V, Circle. I really like the R inlay at the first fret.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X