Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here own a Peavey V-type bolt on..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here own a Peavey V-type bolt on..

MF has these for $169 and I'm seriously considering dropping the coin on one, just to have a fixed bridge guitar to do drop D and other tunings on..

Does anyone here have one, or know the body wood specs for this guitar.. MF doesn't list what the body is made of, and if it's laminated "tonewood", I think I'll pass.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just curious, has anyone played one.. For that kind of money, I'd just about take the chance on it..

Re: Anybody here own a Peavey V-type bolt on..

I've got one...at that price I say go for it. I'm not real sure on the wood. Either basswood or maybe agathis. Short scale, very thin neck and the pickups are decent.

Comment

I don't think it's a laminate, could be wrong. They have a hard time deciding on the price of this thing. I got mine for $169, then the price went to $250, and now back down. I'd buy it again if I didn't already have it. The action was perfect right out of he box which really surprised me. I've still got 9's on it and keep it 1/2 step down. I used to have a USA Vandy back in the day, loved it, but practically gave it away. That was the main reason I got the exp. But, was pleasantly surprised with it. Here's a pic of it. V-type exp

Comment

ACK! My eyes... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Nice background!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm gonna study on it a bit, but I'm thinking I'm gonna get it.. I've got a set neck USA Vandy right now, with the double hums and Kahler.. And I've had the H/X/S USA version before too.. Sweet guitars..

Thanks again man... [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

No problem. Sorry for the wicked background [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . I took a bunch of pics of my fiddles with that blanket not even thinking of the "eye fuck" factor [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .

Comment

I have the Tangerine color fixed bridge, bought it after getting the V-type NTB (which I had to get has I have two early Vandy's). I was super impressed with the fixed bridge one. Paid $140 thru ebay. It plays great, sounds great. Good sustain. I'm pretty sure the body is solid wood, when I had the back control cover off, I didn't see anything that made me think plywood.

I originally bought it as I wanted a decent but inexpensive guitar for a particular bar gig where the layout has drunk people always walking by my equipment (I don't want to take the 'good' guitars for fear of damage). Again, I was totally impressed with the V-type/fixed. I usually prefer floating trems, but the short scale of the V-type made the strings feel similar to my strat scale floating trem guitars.

So I highly recommend this, especially for the MF price! (Besides, you KNOW you have to get one just to complete your Vandy collection!)

Comment

Originally posted by Creepy:
              Here's a pic of it. V-type exp
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dude, you need to get the whole guitar in the frame! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You been taking lessons from Toejam? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks Creepy, but your sure it's solid? I might just have to get one of these.. For the price, it seems hard to beat..

I checked the MusicYo site for the Baretta too.. double hum, with TOM style bridge, IIRC.. it's only $199 and you can get it in any color as long as it's red! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I know. My photography skills are non existant.I took these pics after a 12 hour night shift so I'm surprised they came out as good as they did [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I grabbed one of these from MF because I need a 24 fret guitar that I can use to switch tunings a lot without being too worried about screwing up my setup. My RR1T and Kramer LP style are both set up for down a full step and they feel perfect to me so I don't want to mess up the setting and my RR1 only has its electronics in it and nothing else. My Y2KV also is tucked away because I'm thinking about selling it to someone locally and I don't want to play it too much since I recently cleaned it up and the guy might come by and check it out in a few days.

Anyways, to the review... The guitar arrived today and I plugged it in after tuning it up and I was pretty surprised. It played really nice for the price. Bridge pickup sounded good, neck pickup sounded decent, but overall the pickups sounded a lot better than the newer Kramer I have but I haven't really tested it at high volumes yet (can't because I live in a condo and I share a wall with neighbors who hate my mom because she reported them for doing stuff that didn't follow with the bylaws of the community). Neck is pretty fast and the frets are small (which takes a little getting used to). The only thing I really see that might become a problem is that the body of the guitar seems a bit oversized for the neck. The upper left portion of the body in the picture Creepy posted seems a bit big. Also the pickup switch is a little far away from the strings (in fact I'd say the entire control section is a little far away) but I like to be able to have quick access so it is probably just personal preference. One thing I do like about the guitar is that I tuned it up just once and everything stayed in tune without any further adjusting. The tuners feel quality to me as well as the rest of the parts on the guitar. Typically guitars that you drop under $200 on are falling apart or have the most crappy hardware imaginable on there but everything feels really solid on this. The guitar is obviously geared towards playing in rock music or metal so...

I can't really post any samples though, I can't mic my Tri-XXX because of the noise it'll create. Plus I don't have a mic.

Comment

One of the guitar mags had a review of these a few months back. Basically they said they were of great quality, and would really benefit from a pickup swap. I believe they said the pickups lacked "spank"....whatever that is.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                        One of the guitar mags had a review of these a few months back. Basically they said they were of great quality, and would really benefit from a pickup swap. I believe they said the pickups lacked "spank"....whatever that is.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">"Spank"? Never heard that term before.. Must be some sort of new and hip term. I do agree with it needing new pickups.

Comment

Working...
                        X