X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamer Mirage II

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33042
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33042

Has anyone ever played or owned one of these Mirage II's, koa or maple top? I would love to get one to go with my Mirage I, but the funds are not quite there yet. I assume they are dimensionally the same as my Mirage differing only in the pickup arrangement. I would love to hear a comparison of the koa and maple tops on these two. Also, I'm guessing the sound would be pretty simialr to a studio or special FM with the longer scale and offset cutaway being the only differences from these two.

Re: Hamer Mirage II

[img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

I played a koa-topped Mirage II in a store a number of years ago. As I haven't played a Mirage I, I can't compare them, but I wasn't overly impressed with the Mirage II. It's beautiful, and beautifully made, but it seemed to lack some 'oomph' in the sound department--of course, it wasn't made to be a shredder, but more as competition for a PRS in a clean/moderately overdriven blues or classic rock setting. But I prefer the PRS overall--better playability and more 'bite' to the sound. Maybe a maple-topped Mirage II would given you the right amount of 'bite'--koa is a darker-sounding wood and doesn't seem like it would add anything functional to a mahogany guitar (apart from its beauty, of course).

Comment

My Mirage I has a Hot Rails in the bridge and it does a fantatic job at giving me a shred tone. It cuts right through the mix. My only complaint is that the lower cutaway gets in the way of my hand around the 19th fret and above. The only saving grace is that I don't travel that far up very often. Stupid, stubby fingers. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

travis,
          You're likely to get a lot more opinions on the mirage on the hamer fan club than on the JCF [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, I know. But I feel like that would be like cheating on my wife. I'm a member of jemsite and the duncan forum as well but I never go there anymore. You guys do me the best. Plus I checked out the Hamer forum one time, and it just didn't seem as nice. Maybe I'll suck it up and go over there.

Comment

Working...
            X