Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.B. Player....What's with that ?

Ok,

So wtf is a J.B. Player guitar. I've seen pics of 'em but what about the history and/or quality ? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Re: J.B. Player....What\'s with that ?

They were very cheap guitars offered back in the eighties, comparable to maybe a Cort or Series 10.
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Some of the JB Player stuff is really pretty good.The neck thru soloist style is a good one and the strat headstock neck thru ones are very cool.The ones with the decent hardware are the ones to look for,Kahler, OFR,Duncan,DiMarzio etc.
      JB player endorsed lots of bands in the 80s Vixen was one that I can recall that had some killer JB Players. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Agreed. Made in Korea, I have a neckthru
        Strat, a bolton Strat and a Tele, with the Fender style headstocks. The worst thing about them is the Kahler knockoff
        trems, made with pot metal and weak springs. They're notorious for the back end of the trem ending with it's ass up in the air. My neckthru I put a real Kahler on, the Tele I blocked the bridge,
        and the bolt-on Strat the trem's still OK
        though I don't use it on that one; no sense pushing my luck.

The necks are very nice, nicer than Mexi
        Fender necks! As cheap guitars go, they're real nice, but the fact they have real Strat and Tele headstocks is a big plus. I haven't even wanted to try the ones with the new dumbass headstock, just because even if they play and sound good. they look bad with the ugly headstock.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I agree with lerx the necks are very nice.The one neckthru I've been looking at is a fender style strat headstock SD /s/s Kahler USA pro pat pend.Black nitro cellulose paint.I don't like the pickup rings on the single coils very cheezy looking but the rest of the guitar is killer.BTW body is maple and the tone is very George Lynch.
          I know where a few bolt ons with the imitation Kahler are but I dont know what the body wood is.

Comment

How can I identify a JB Player? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

The name on the headstock maybe? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

But you gotta watch out for the fake ones, which is tricky.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Richard. Good one.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks Ron coming from you that means a lot [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by quadperson:
                      They were very cheap guitars offered back in the eighties, comparable to maybe a Cort or Series 10.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Holy shit... Series 10 [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . I saw one in a local shop that was beat to hell. It had a $400 price tag on it. I nearly pissed my pants with laughter. Needless to say, the store doesn't get much business.

Comment

That's another difference between the JB Players and the Corts and Series 10. he JB Players have solid wood bodies, wheras
                        Cort and Series 10 are often plywood. The JB PLayers are better than those guitars.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

There definately are a few classes of these guitars. There are neckthrough Stratheads that are shitbags no matter what you do. These tend to have plywood bodies (yes on neckthroughs!).I have had several, but only one really good Strathead that was definately made in a totally different factory and waas solid wood.

I have a later Soloist knockoff that had a really nice recessed Floyd copy (made by Schaller). The body and neck appear to both be solid basswood. Someone started stripping the neon yellow paint job and never finished it. Now it sits in my shed.

Comment

Basswood NECK? Never heard of that!
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I took a close look to the stripped back and the neck is three pieces, a center maple strip with two basswood strips on the outside.

Comment

Working...
                              X