Ibanez Explorers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Explorers

I've noticed a few Swedish bands using em and Abbath from Immortal used a Ibanez V. Are these from Japan? I'd like to get my hands on an Explorer. Glenn from In Flames used to use em and I dig the sound.

Re: Ibanez Explorers

You've probably seen Destroyers in Iron Maiden and Def Leppard videos, too. The current production Destroyers aren't MIJ. The older ones ('80s) are, and there was a limited edition MIJ model a year or two ago. Outstanding guitars, especially those with set-necks.

Here's a crappy pic of my bolt-on limited model:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...21827737wUfygR

These are vids of Jeff Seal (amp builder/modder/tech extraodinaire) playing his vintage Destroyer through one of his amps:

http://s93550867.onlinehome.us/ampfest/Jeffrocking.mpg
    http://s93550867.onlinehome.us/ampfest/Jeffrocking2.mpg

Comment

Back in the late 70s Ibanez made dead on copies of a bunch of Gibsons including the Explorer and V; Ibanez called these the Destroyer and Rocket Roll. They looked like Korina but weren't actually Korina. Gibson sued Ibanez. Supposedly these guitars were in many cases better than the Gibsons. In the Early 80s Ibanez issued the Rocket Roll II and Destroyer 2. They had flametops and set necks. Soon bolt on models followed in different finishes (mostly solid red and blue). The headstocks were changed and the bodies got slight tweaks (except the body shape of the Rocket Roll II). Around 1985 or so Ibanez tweaked the shape of the Rocket Roll II a bit.

I have an 82 Rocket Roll and 83 Destroyer. They're fantastic high quality guitars.

Comment

Ibanez produced the Destroyer in Japan for quite some time but US production stopped around the late 80s I believe. Ibanez created a small body Destroyer that didn't last long recently. Then the reissued bolt on Destroyers with binding. Now there's a bolt on Destroyer with natural finish that *might* be made of mahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy:
          Ibanez called these the Destroyer and Rocket Roll. They looked like Korina but weren't actually Korina.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, they're actually ash! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I was watching the In Flames vid for Jotun. The guitar Glenn has definitly seems to be an old Destroyer then. The body looks fucking huge!
            Anyone seen that vid? I'd like to try and get one like that with the larger body. How much do those run?

Comment

Originally posted by Iced In Flames:
              Yeah I was watching the In Flames vid for Jotun. The guitar Glenn has definitly seems to be an old Destroyer then. The body looks fucking huge!
              Anyone seen that vid? I'd like to try and get one like that with the larger body. How much do those run?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Flametop? $450-700, but less if you shop around enough.

Comment

the older setneck ones are great. awesome players, good hardware, OK pickups & the quality was far better than the newer stuff.

There is a flame topped destroyer, TOM bridge, cherryburst(most were), in a GC near me. if i remember the price wasnt too bad either, around $500. & its a older one not a reissue. PM me if you want it.....if i wasnt in the doghouse with the lil woman i would have bought it. she says I have TOO many, & is still pissed about the one i got off ebay. & doesnt know about the one on order....yeah im in trouble.

Comment

I used to have a flame top V. It was a cheap guitar, but it was pretty cool. Eventualy, the neck twisted abit, and the veneer on the back started to pop off in various places. I always wanted a Destroyer like Phil Collen, but Ibanhad sold the DT555 as his model, which in reality wasnt his model at all.........Bastards.........

Comment

yeah, i think the DT555 had different pickups than the ones Collen actually used, and had Floyds instead of the Kahlers.

Comment

Flametops in good condition are right around $500. There was a NOS Rocket Roll II on ebay last week with the original case, warranty card...everything. Never been played. It's like it was in a time capsule for 20 years. Sold for around $900 or more I think.

I got both of mine for $1100...bought them together. Actually backdoored them on ebay. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Avenged:
                        yeah, i think the DT555 had different pickups than the ones Collen actually used, and had Floyds instead of the Kahlers.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The early DT555 models from`84 had a non locking trem, while the later`85 models had a locking trem bridge with a Khaler type locknut.
                        It was called the "Hard Rocker Pro" tremelo. They had stock Ibanez pickups that looked like Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        BTW, the original Ibanez Destroyers and Rocket Rolls had Ash bodies but had a set maple neck.
                        They actually didn't sound that bad!, heavy tho! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a White Ibanez Explorer with a set neck. When I bought used in a guitar shop in '82 or so the guy told me it has a Gibson name on it and Gibson humbuckers but assured me it was an Ibanez so I knew what I was getting. I tried a Gibson Explorer right next to it and went for the Ibanez. I loved that guitar. I still have it but temperature changes got the best of it and I need to have it overhauled.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by heartfielder:
                            I have a White Ibanez Explorer with a set neck.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What year?

Comment

I had a really early 80's Destroyer set neck with mahogany body and neck and a thin flame maple veneer on both sides. It was pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X