hollowing out a solid body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hollowing out a solid body

i was thinking about buying a cheap electric, cutting the top off, hollowing out the inside of the guitar and giving it hollowed out sound chambers.
    than reglueing the top back on so it looks like a solidbody but has a jazzbox tone.

has anyone try this, and is this a good idea?

Re: hollowing out a solid body

Billy Gibbons has it done to his touring Les Pauls so it is doable.

Comment

Is it a good idea? No. It could be a lot of fun to try though!! If you accept that you may very well destroy the guitar, go for it!!

Comment

Is it a good idea? YES! (counterpoint here [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). I wouldn't do it to my main guitar, but to some pawn shop POS I bought specifically for it? Fuck yeah! Just plane the top down 1/4" or so, scrape some crap outta there, and put a new top on it. It'd be fun to try. You never know, it might actually work well. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I have no idea how it affects the tone, but Warmoth's hollow body design is a great idea structurally:

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

i think i will try this on a beater...
            what's the best guitar i can get for approx $100?
            sounds like a retarded question, but can $100 get me a body made of solid wood?

ideally, i would like an olp axis copy, cut the top off, make chambers in the body, maybe even add an f-hole.

Comment

you can buy my kelly and neck for about 115 shipped [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

if you do it, remember that smaller holes are better than big ones, and minimize feedback issues.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

A guy was telling me about when he did this-except he routed out holes near the neck pocket as well. When he went to use the trem, the neck snapped out. He might have been lying, but i wouldn't take the chance. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X