1966 Fender Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Fender Mustang

Any of you guys have one. I have the chance to buy one from the original owner. It is blue. I think they only came in 3 colors. Red,white and blue. It needs a total set up but it is all original. What are these things worth. It looks pretty cheap to me. Didn't Kurt Cobaine play one? The guy wants $400.00 for it. Advise is appreciated. I need to give him an answer by tomorrow.

Re: 1966 Fender Mustang

I used to have one. It was cool when I was young, but if I had one today, I certainly wouldnt bother playing the POS. Of course, at that price, you may as well as buy it if its in good condition, and hasnt been modified, as you can trade it down the road for a much better kick ass guitar.....................

Comment

Thanks for the info. I played it and it is a real POS for sure. Actually, after a complete set up and new strings I would think it still would play and sound like a POS. What a cheaply made guitar! I can't believe guys rave about the tone or the neck on these guitars. I am 99% sure I am going to buy it from him because I guess $400.00 is a pretty good price. Based on the quality I would say it is $300.00 too much though.

Comment

Value and vintage are 2 mutually exclusive terms.............If you traded it for a couple of Model 6s down the road, who would be the real winner?..........

Comment

$400 is a good deal if it is all original. 1965-1966 is the most common years you see, and red,white, and blue are the standard colors. Rd is the most common, white is the next most common, but most desireable, and blue still abundant. Count how many frets it has. 22 fret models (24" scale) are the most desireable. 21 fret 22 3/4" scale models are a little harder to sell.

The pickguard should be pearloid, there should be no contours on the body, the tuners will likely have an "F" on the back and a plastic button, but there is a chance it could have Kluson Deluxes on it. Check the pot dates and pickup dates to see if they check out. You can make some money on it if its straight.

FWIW I just sold a '57 Musicmaster, which is always the small 22 3/4" scale, one pickup, no trem for over $1200 after shipping the other day.

Comment

I will check everything out that you mentioned Jim and post what I find. Thanks..

Comment

Working...
            X