Ibanez RG 550 price..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG 550 price..

A friend of mine has an Ibanez RG550 in neon yellow that he insists is worth $800. Its exactly like every RG550 I've seen other than the color and the fact that the guy before him threw a new pickup in it. Its from the late 80's is my guess and it has its fair share of damage to it (cracked on the neck nearby the headstock and its fair share of body damage as well as fretboard wear).

Despite all of this, my friend keeps insisting that the neon yellow color makes the guitar worth $800 alone. He says this because he saw an RG 550 go on Ebay for $800 a few days ago. When I asked him to prove it, he couldn't find the sites he was consulting to get the price or the guitar on ebay. Is he wrong or am I just not giving him the benefit of the doubt?

Re: Ibanez RG 550 price..

Nope, the desert sun yellow, shocking pink and whatever the orange color was called all go for about $300. I bought my old shocking pink 550 for like $250+sh on ebay. A DSY jem is worth $800 not an RG550
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I sold a neon orange 89 RG 550 with old style edge trem at the Cincinnati guitar show for 225.00 with OHSC.It was in 9 out of 10 condition. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

His model is a RG550DY (Desert Yellow). It is worth whatever some stroke is willing to pay for it but in the real world $250.00 is average for a decent one and $350.00 is average for a 8.5+ condition one that is all original and missing nothing.

Comment

Okay... Thanks everyone.. That's right where I placed it. I feel much much better now.

Comment

They weren't even close to that brand new! I remember looking at them in the early nineties and they were around the 550-600 mark. YOu can still get them-I believe they are called the 1550 now and are still less than 800 if memory serves me correctly.

Comment

Of all the RG series I do like the 550 the best.In my part of the country a new 550 is around 500.00w/case.Used ones run 250.00 300.00.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The RG 1550 (new designation for the RG 550) was cancelled in the US for 2004. So no more maple fretboards! Well, except the RG 170 [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I love that the old RG 550's go for so cheap! My favorite guitar.

Comment

A local music store had a 550 in Desert Yellow last year. I think the tag on it said $399 IIRC. And it sat there for a few months at that price. If your friend can get $800 for his, more power to him, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Comment

Your buddy has burned lips from his crack pipe. I bought a 550 in desert sun yellow for $75 WITH CASE at a pawn shop about 4 years ago. I still see them now and then in the $200 range. Nice guitar for the money, but $800?

Pete

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Comment

I used to have an 88 RG550 in Yellow and I really miss that guitar, but there is no way it is worth $800 Here are the completed RG550 auctions for the last 2 weeks.

RG 550

RG550

Comment

$800.......no

but it is one hell of a guitar

if i am reading the VIN right, mine is a 1990 desert sun (read: neon yellow) RG-550

i prolly paid a little too much for it used, ($450 IIRC) but i love it

only needs better sounding pups (which will be coming soon i hope)

Comment

Working...
                          X