Need Info On this Gibson V II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Info On this Gibson V II

Thanks for bringing up the pain I have to live with for the rest of my life. There was one on ebay with a $100 NR. I was going to make a run at it but I was going to wait til the end of the auction. Well, I got tied up and did not get back in time before it closed. NO ONE BID ON IT! The guy relisted and it went for $800. I think the heart pickups look cool, but I hear they sound like crap. Thats why they went to the hums.
    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

That E2 matches my V2 exactly.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies the Guitar isn't mine it belongs to a friend of mine. His wife bought it for him as a christmas gift, new in the early 80's. I for one have played guitar with him many many times over the years and the night I took and posted those pictures on my site was only the second time I have ever seen it. I think it has been setting in its case most of that time.

Anyway there are a lot of you with vast knowlege of guitars on this site. So I was wondering what kind of responses and info you guys had on it.

Thanks All!!

Mathyus

Comment

Originally posted by GERMANDETH:
          The E2 listed above sold last night! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I called also. After thinking about it for a couple hours I figured that it might be a long time until I run into the V's twin again...but ....it was sold. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

The E2 listed above sold last night! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
            "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
              I always thought V2s were pretty cool. The guitar player from Destruction used to play one, and I liked it the moment I saw it.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That was a V2? It was black or brown, wasn't it, with regular humbuckers? I seem to remember a pic of him with that guitar in a really old Metal Mania magazine.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I always thought V2s were pretty cool. The guitar player from Destruction used to play one, and I liked it the moment I saw it. I've heard the stock pickups are crap though, and obviously you can't get aftermarket pickups that shape, so if you want to change them you have to do some routing to fit regular hums.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I had a V2 once. Played like a plank, and those pickups are not good. A stock Strat has more minerals than them! Kent Armstrong made me a more powerful bridge unit, but it didn't make that much difference. I thought about cutting it for regular-sized 'buckers, but figured it would screw-up the resale value. Shame really, 'cos I'd wanted one for such a long time, and they are very pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by zeegler:
                    I always thought V2s were pretty cool. The guitar player from Destruction used to play one, and I liked it the moment I saw it.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That was a V2? It was black or brown, wasn't it, with regular humbuckers? I seem to remember a pic of him with that guitar in a really old Metal Mania magazine. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, there's a pic of him playing it on my Mad Butcher EP (red transparent vinyl [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). It has been retrofitted somewhere along the line with a chrome Washburn Wonderbar trem [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] . Other than the godawful trem, it's a gorgeous guitar. It's a dark brown with all tarnished brass hardware. It looks like something off a pirate ship. Awesome!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh I also forgot to mention that it has the original heart or V shaped pickups. Destruction sometimes had 2 guitarists. Harry is the guy with the V2. At the time of the Mad Butcher EP, the other guitar player Mike also played a Gibson V, but it was a white one.

Comment

Hmm, I don't remember it having the heart-shaped pups, but it was a long time ago I saw that pic. I threw a bunch of old mags out a few years back and I don't think I have that one any more. I never did get any of their albums, but maybe I should go look for some to add to the collection now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                          Hmm, I don't remember it having the heart-shaped pups, but it was a long time ago I saw that pic. I threw a bunch of old mags out a few years back and I don't think I have that one any more. I never did get any of their albums, but maybe I should go look for some to add to the collection now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, you never know, he might have had the pickups changed after those pics were taken. It's a catch 22 really, the stock pickups supposedly weren't any good, but if you mod the guitar to accept standard humbuckers, it won't be original anymore, and can't be put back to original without some major restoration. Personally I couldn't bring myself to do it if I had one of those. I think the pickups really set it apart, and look pretty cool.

Comment

Actually, you've got that reversed - Mike had the V2, and Harry had the white '70s V. Really nice guys - partied witht hem on a couple of tours, and Harry and I talked about playing a lot. He's a killer player, but not involved in the reuinion - I wonder what he's doing now?

I good friend of mine - who was, last I heard from him, doing the studio scene in L.A. - used to swear by the E2. I have to admit, his sounded really good.

Mike
                            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I'm probably shooting myself in the foot, but my guitar tech owns an E2 and he says it's the finest playing Explorer he's ever put his hands on. Apparently, this model does not have the typical Gibson neck profile and instead has a much slimmer neck with an ebony fretboard. Even though the neck is slim, it's not wide and promotes easy access up and down the neck.
                              "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                                Actually, you've got that reversed - Mike had the V2, and Harry had the white '70s V. Really nice guys - partied witht hem on a couple of tours, and Harry and I talked about playing a lot. He's a killer player, but not involved in the reuinion - I wonder what he's doing now?

Mike
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the clarification!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X