Keeping up with the Joneses...here's my Orville LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping up with the Joneses...here's my Orville LP

Figured I'd throw my paulie into the mix here. I've had this one for a few months, but just got it back from a proper setup and pickup swap. I replaced the original Orville PAF's with a pair of Gibby USA's. A 496r and 500t. Both NOS from 1993, according to the date on the back of the inserts in the pickup boxes. The place I got them from has a small "store" area as an afterthought to the recording studio and pro audio department. This is one of the early ones, and it is killer. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Keeping up with the Joneses...here\'s my Orville LP

Cool! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] It's like LP Mania is breaking out on this board lately. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Not a damn thing wrong with that little baby. Matter of fact, I've seen some great Orvilles roaming around. I don't know if this is factual, but my guitar tech told me that Joe Perry was an avid Orville user back in the 1970s and early 80s. Apparently he used them on tour instead of his high dollar collectible Pauls.

Congratulations on a nice instrument.
      "POOP"

Comment

didn't slash use orville's before he hit it big w/ gnr?

Comment

I think there's a couple different makes of Orvilles. I believe the ones that say Orville by Gibson are Japanese and the better made ones. I think the regular Orvilles are Korean (maybe I'm mistaken). Still pretty good either way. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Toejam, all the Orvilles were Japanese made as far as I know. The "By Gibson" models are the higher end versions, usually like a custom, and with USA pickups. Some I have seen even have the split diamond inlay.

I'm lookin' for a case for this one, as it only came with a leather gig bag. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Data I think Slash used a MAX Les Paul copy...Sully would know.

Comment

I was under the impression that the Orville line was not started until 1990 - Joe Perry probably used the Tokai copies in the 70s.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by surfdork:
                  Toejam, all the Orvilles were Japanese made as far as I know. The "By Gibson" models are the higher end versions, usually like a custom, and with USA pickups. Some I have seen even have the split diamond inlay.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ah, okay. You're probably right. I wasn't totally sure.

Comment

I owned an Orville (by Gibson) Firebird for a while...and that damn thing played,looked and sounded better than most USA Firebirds I've owned!!
                    Orville is Gibson's EXCLUSIVE Japanese market builder. They were never intended for import over here...but I see a lot of them are steadily making their way into the states!

Comment

a store by me has one of those tokia LPs. i was surprised when i played it how good it actually was. the frets, inlays & overall quality was far better than the low/middle line gibsons. & it sounded pretty damn good, they also had a tokia SG. no pickguard solid mahogany & a nice peice finished in clear, again very surpised by the quality. if either had a set of Duncans & better tuners I think they could hold there own against most of the gibbys out there.

Comment

Orville guitars are fukkin awesome!! They are basically Gibsons with a different logo! Great score. The older tokai and burny guitars are also great as well.
                        The double opposing zebra coils always look great on a Les Paul.

Rich

Comment

When it says Orville by Gibson, it means the guitar comes with Gibson USA pickups.
                          Later they discontinued using "by Gibson".
                          Many earlier models of Orville by Gibson are considered as high end Orville and usually people pay more.
                          Later models came without "By Gibson" and non Gibson USA pickups.

Comment

Here's a small write up on the history of Orville from bluzey.com who list their guitars on eBay. I bought a 59 Reissue LP Custom from these guys. It's sweet.

fender and gibson japan

Comment

Working...
                            X