Kahler Spyder/OFR interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler Spyder/OFR interchange?

I've got a kahler spyder and it's missing some parts. Do the string clamp inserts interchange w/ real floyd Roses? Is the spacing on the pivots the same as a real floyd? I may want to replace it with a real floyd if I end up not liking it and I don't want to fill/refinish.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Kahler Spyder/OFR interchange?

Answered my own question, forgot I had some extra inserts. Seems to work OK. Now about the OFR fitting the posts...
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

The spacing of the posts are not the same. The Spyders posts are much narrower, than a Floyd. I think the upper one (towards the belly cut) might be ok, but you would definitely be drilling at least one more hole in your guitar. This is not a bad thing. The Spyder may be the worst thing that Kahler has ever done, and that is saying something! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The Kahler Steeler trem and the Floyd are identical in almost every way. Some people actually like the Steeler better than an original Floyd. Either way, the Steeler trem was a very well made Floyd copy. The Spyder wouldn't even make a good paperweight.

Comment

Wow, harsh dude! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The Spyder isn't all bad. It does the job better than the cheap FR copies. At least it is solid and well made. You're right about the Steeler though. Kahler used hardened steel in all the necessary parts, and it is completely interchangeable with a Floyd. One detail that is better than a floyd is the saddles. They are all the exact same height, it is the baseplate that is staggered to change the height of the strings. This way, you can't get them mixed up.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I'd check into the Spyder post spacing a little deeper. I bought one to replace the trem on my old Ibanez 540P (because that trem went on my gunslinger, replacing the crappy licensed floyd), and other than the different diameter inserts, the spacing was identical. Maybe not all Spyders are the same, but that's my experience with them.

Comment

Working...
          X