Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BCRich owners?

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
    I've wanted a Mockingbird for years, but have always had some higher guitar priority. There was a 7-string USA Mockingbird up on eBay recently that went for dirt cheap, and I'm still kicking myself a bit for not pulling the trigger on that one. If I do get a BC Rich in the near future, it will definitely be a 7-string USA neckthru.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you talking about the grey one? That keeps popping up. I suspect there is something wrong with it because I have been watching the auctions. I missed it on one auction and then about a week later the winner was selling it. Go figure.

Comment

Dare I say (flame suit on) that my guitar with the best metal tone is my BC Rich Skull pile body art V. I only paid like $280 for it and it has the absolute biggest, thickest crunch of anything I own!!

I also have a Beast, black with silver bevels (huge sound out of this too, Probably because it has enough wood to make a picnic table out of)

I have an early 90's neck through Warlock w/ Widow headstock, white binding, old-school cloud inlays etc. Real nice

A newer Ironbird, bolt on neck. Great player. THe red quilt top Ironbird that Hoffman has in the Deicide vide is AWESOME!!! Eric Rutan has a bunch of great ones too! Love that shape!

My only complaint is that the Warlock and Ironbird are very top heavy and unbalanced when playing standing up.

Here is a link to a pic I posted of them
      http://www.jcfonline.com/cgi-bin/ult...c;f=1;t=001995

Comment

Before I found the only axes that matter on the planet (our beloved Jacksons)...I was an avid BC collector as well.

lessee....over a period starting in about 1984 till about 94
        I've owned:

3 Bich's...including one 10 string
        about 16 various Mockingbirds (My favorite)
        about 6 Warlocks (including the only existing neckthru Doubleneck...which was my employee project while at Ass Axe)
        2 Ironbirds
        2 Stealths
        1 Explorer
        1 Firebird
        2 Jr V's
        3 or 4 Gunslingers
        1 NJ series ST bass...very briefly
        (those listed above were all USA except for my very first Bich which was a neckthru NJ series)
        I've also owned about a dozen or so NJ series guitars over that time.

Comment

Jamie,
          You know my former Explorer?....wow!! The one with the big red Nuclear Hazzard graphic?

That beast was HEAVY!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Jacksons and Richs (USA only for both) are my favorite feeling guitars. I used to be pure Rich... I'm heading down that road again just b/c It seems I'm finding KILLER deals on USA Richs.

I've got a Rich MB1 that I just scored off the bay for a measley $500 bucks. Will be here in a few days. Black body, 24 fret Ebony board, bolt on, no inlays, JB bridge and JB Single (mini) in neck. Anyone ever played one of these? Like a gunslinger but "different".

I've got a low serial ST-III in glitter-rock white. It was one of the first few built as it doesn't have the USA on the HS, but confirmed by Neal Moser to be a US Model made in CA in '85. MINT CONDITION. Guy at the music store thought it wasn't a USA b/c of the h/s. You would think the low serial and US neckplate would have at least made him investigate. $200!!!!! HA!

I've owned 1 Gunslinger (gray and black crackle) sold - very stupid thing to do.

I've owned 5 other ST-IIIs (I love those custom single coils). 2 Black, 1 Red, 1 White, 1 Yellow. Regret selling all except the yellow, it felt like it was kept in a cage in the rain!

Owned 1 Mockingbird (bolt-on) and it was PURPLE! Played great though. I've also owned a Class Axe eagle... wasn't my fav to say the least.

My Jacksons have been SL1 EDS, SL2H TBLUE. Still have the SL1 KenSLP sold me... played the best. Got rid of the SL2H during hard times a month or so ago.

Comment

How do I tell if a guitar (my Warlock)is pre-Class-Axe?

Comment

MOST of the time (if it's a bolt) you can tell by the neck plate and the neck having the made in usa on the Headstock without the TM afterwards. If it's a neckthru I'm not really sure??? never owned a N/T rich. The bolts play just as good to me!
                If you have a pic you can check out Ronz Temple of Worship. He is a pro at ID these things. You could also drop Neal Moser a line www.nealmoser.com He gave me the postive on a questionable one that I was considering buying. And he should know b/c he worked there in the mid 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyD:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                  I've wanted a Mockingbird for years, but have always had some higher guitar priority. There was a 7-string USA Mockingbird up on eBay recently that went for dirt cheap, and I'm still kicking myself a bit for not pulling the trigger on that one. If I do get a BC Rich in the near future, it will definitely be a 7-string USA neckthru.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you talking about the grey one? That keeps popping up. I suspect there is something wrong with it because I have been watching the auctions. I missed it on one auction and then about a week later the winner was selling it. Go figure. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that's the one. I've noticed that it has been up a few times, but then it seems like a lot of the USA BC Riches on eBay seem to take awhile to sell, unless it's a vintage 10-string Bich or something like that. Of course, the gray one had reasonable prices every time it's been up. And if the buyer turned around and sold it right away, that's a pretty bad sign!

Boogie Street puts up lots of beautiful custom ordered USAs on eBay, but their prices are very high (although probably what the guitars are worth)--they don't seem to get a lot of bids. They have a black Mockingbird with abalone trim and cross inlays that I've been drooling over, but they are asking $3000 for it. At that kind of price, I'm custom ordering my own guitar, thank you very much...

But here it is, for your drooling pleasure:
                  evil mockingbird

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V:
                    How do I tell if a guitar (my Warlock)is pre-Class-Axe?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Chris...two simple things.

#1...The little "tm" over the logo, if it's there..it's Class Axe, if not...it's a California.

#2...CA prefix in the serial number.

Comment

I have an 86 B.C. Rich Nagel Gunslinger. Great guitar!!

Comment

holy crap WX7...funny thing is i had the chance to buy your old explorer.
                        firebirdV if that warlock is PRE class axe its pretty damn rare.
                        Chris you had some sweet STs & slingers too bad about the blue one .
                        as of now i have
                        75 seagull early hook horn
                        78 mock supreme shorthorn maple
                        79 eagle koa
                        80 mock shorthorn maple
                        82 bich6 solid quilt
                        82 warlock2
                        83 seagull pointless
                        86 st-3 NAMM show missing headstock
                        87 st-3 Macalpine joker graphic
                        87 ST-3 neckthru.

& ive had too many other to remember

Comment

no tm on any of mine but no ca prefix either... ca neck plate and little made in usa logo on the headstocks though....

Comment

CA neckplate Chris?....or CALIFORNIA?

If it has a CA prefix...it's Class Axe.

Comment

arent there also BC prefix plates that were class axe made. I dont know for sure but im pretty sure class axe made some guitars WITHOUT the TM logo. Kinda like how they werent supposed to do the R logo. Ken didnt Class axe have slightly different control & trem routes, or was that progression prior to CA actually building guitars. Thats the problem with these BCs, around the time of the buyout, ALOT of strange things were going on. alot of inconsistency, in hardware & routings shapes. recessed backplates & non recessed, small rectangular trem routes & larger fender shaped ones, different sized headstock volutes. As for IDing them im pretty sure Ken or myself could probably ID these guitars better than Ronz, I myself have had some problems with some of the info he has given people.

Comment

Well...Ronz is a pretty good source, and can identify most of them...but he never worked there like I did...LOL!

Yeah...I saw a lot of inconsistencies while I was there. We had started out using a lot of leftover stuff that Randy and Charlie Stringer bought from the original factory. Those were primarily neckthru blanks, and about 3 pallets of USA bodies and necks. Half of which were pretty damaged during their trek from California to NJ.

So there are some California-made Class Axes out there. It wasn't until about '93/4 where you started seeing genuine Class Axe built BC's (which is what I was doing!) but used a lot of different hardware, and other assorted leftover parts. Yes...true Class Axe control routes were slightly different. As far as logos...Anything Class Axe ever put out was required to have the little "tm" above the logo, as Stringer didn't actually own the BC Rich name..it was only licensed to him.

Comment

Working...
                                X