X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin's necks

What are they like?

Re: Carvin\'s necks

They've been different throughout the years, used to be thinner and flatter, like a cross between a Dinky and an Ibanez Wizard, I believe. They later got a little thicker, and my 2002 SC90 (as well as the 2001 DC400 I had) have a 15" fingerboard radius and have the same profile that my old Charvel Model 6 and Model 5A had... not too thin, a little flatter in the middle. They just redid their profile and I think they're a tiny bit thicker now with a compound radius fingerboard. The Holdsworth models are rounder and thicker with a very flat 20" radius.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My DC125 has a really thin Ibanez Wizard/Kackson Soloist type thing going on. I really like the feel of it. As Toejam said, they have recently changed the profile so I don't know what it's like now but for me late 80's and early 90's Carvin necks are as close to perfection as it gets (without being a Jackson [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).
      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

The very first neck-thru Carvins in the late '80s-early '90s had a wonderful neck profile that was much like a Jackson neckthru, but just slightly thinner. Just about perfect. They are thicker now, but far from being baseball bats. Personally, I've never found Carvins to be quite as playable as Jacksons, but that has more to do with the frets than the neck shape. For some reason, Carvin's frets just never feel quite as nice to me.

Comment

I agree with Joe/Toejam...the necks feel very similar to a Charvel Model 5 or 6. Not exactly the same, but really close. My DC127 is a 2001 model. I do like it a lot, but I have never ordered another one, because I prefer the necks on my Charvels.
          Dana <~~~
          '85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead