Questions concerning Acoustics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions concerning Acoustics

I am in the process of finding a quality acoustic guitar and was wondering if anyone could help me out with their "acoustical knowledge". First off, I can spend up to about $1400. Anymore, and the wife will go nuts. I am familiar with most of the "quality" brands but am unclear on the differences in models of each. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] I am interested in Martin, Ovation, and Taylor but like I said, ANY info will help. Looking for inoput an opinions that will help lead me in the right direction. Unfortunately, my ability to "run" to the guitar store is limited due to the fact that I live in the fricken' sticks, but I do have a Taylor dealer in town. With that said, let the lecture begin [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Questions concerning Acoustics

You cannot/will not go wrong with a Taylor...GUARANTEED. $1,400.00 should get you something nice. I've only bought a handful of new guitars in my life, 2 of them were Taylor's. A Dan Crary model, 614CE. Guild would be my second choice. A D-55 is a great model and also in that price range. Best bet is to sit, relax, and play before you pay. A good acoustic should jump right out at you...

Comment

Check out Alvaez too. I'm not sure of the prices on the Yairi line, but they are stunning guitars, both visually and sonically. Just my two pennies.

Comment

I agree with both of the above recommendations (Taylor and Alvarez), and I'll add one to consider - RainSong.

Like you, I'm in the market for an acoustic, but live in the sticks. I have researched and tried out several brands, and the top contenders are Alvarez, which offers great bang for the buck, and the lowest action of any acoustic I've ever played (yes, better than the Taylors, too), and Taylor, which costs 100% to 200% more, but sounds 25% better (IMO), with some kickin' bass that the Alvarez' I've played can't match. I'm also very interested in RainSong, though I've yet to see one in real life.

I don't know your specific needs. I've been looking for a comfortable, nice-looking cutaway model with great unplugged sound + plug-in capability, and low action (since I've been spoiled by my Jacksons). [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I played an Alvarez AJ60SC with AMAZING low action that was so great, I had to struggle not to buy it for $489, even though it didn't have the look I wanted (it's a Jumbo with solid spruce top & maple back & sides - a bit Brian Setzer-ish for my tastes). The 12-string version (AJ60SC12) was even more amazing - by far the easiest 12-string I've ever played, and it had nicely figured maple on the back and sides (the 6-string's maple was plain - on-line pics I've seen also show the 12-strings with better figuring than the 6-strings). These gems got me interested in Alvarez, and after much research, if I could find one to try out, I would probably buy the Alvarez PF90SC, which is a folk-bodied cutaway with solid spruce top and rosewood back and sides, that sells for about $600 online.

On the Taylor side, I would recommend trying the 412ce or 414ce, both what I would call folk-bodied (Taylor has other names) cutaways, with solid spruce tops and satin-finished ovangkol back and sides. They sell for about $1400. Ovangkol is pretty, and looks kinda like rosewood to me. I'd prefer rosewood, but to get into a Taylor with rosewood back and sides, you're going to have to spend $2500 (700 series).

I am also very interested in trying the RainSong OM 1000, which is another folk-bodied cutaway, made of carbon fiber, which is supposed to be impervious to weather. The neck doesn't even have a truss rod, as it is supposed to never need adjusting. Living in the sticks, that sounds good to me, because good luthiers are very hard to find. You can get all-carbon USA RainSongs from some online places for about $1800. Alternatively, RainSong offers Korean-made models with carbon tops and mahogany back, sides and necks for $899 with case at MF. Those look very nice to me, too, though the reviews on Harmony Central are not good. Incidentally, the reviews I read about Alvarez on HC are great. It's hard to find any negative comments about Taylors anywhere, other than the price, I guess.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Save yourself $800 and get the top-of-the line Seagull..

I really recommend the Cedar top and get the L.R.Baggs electronics package.

These guitars sound and play as nice as any Taylor or Martin I have played in the last 3 years at ANY price range.

The Alvarez is also an underrated guitar.. If you can step up to the Yairy Alvarez line then not a bad way to go either.

The nicest acousitic I EVER played was a Takmine LTD series. I had the one with the Gecko's and am still sorry I ever sold it..

Comment

Great Info guys... I hadn't even thought about the Alvarez and Seagull lines.... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] back to the drawing board.

Comment

I've owned a Martin d-18, Seagull s6cw, and now a Alvarez Yairi Wy1-k.

I have to say the Alvarez blows them all away. I really liked the seagull but couldn't get used to the neck. My Yairi has a really thin neck which gives a great feel.

Didn't care for the Martin too much at all.

That being said my local shop has an all Koa Taylor cut-away (K-20ce I think) that I've been eyeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrust:
                I've owned a Martin d-18, Seagull s6cw, and now a Alvarez Yairi Wy1-k.

I have to say the Alvarez blows them all away. I really liked the seagull but couldn't get used to the neck. My Yairi has a really thin neck which gives a great feel.

Didn't care for the Martin too much at all.

That being said my local shop has an all Koa Taylor cut-away (K-20ce I think) that I've been eyeing.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thrust.... you have mail....

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] $1400 [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Maybe it's just me, but I would never spend that much for an acoustic [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, I've got a Takamine G-330S that sounds good enough for me and it's got a sweet narrow neck, and low action (after I sanded the nut and saddle down a bit). Honestly, it plays as well as most brand-name electrics (Hondo not being a brand-name).
                  They're inexpensive as well. If you screw up and sand the nut and saddle down too much, you can get generic replacements for cheap.

However, if you're intent on spending the money, my personal preference has always been a Cherry Sunburst Gibson Hummingbird [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

www.caguitars.com I have one and it is far superior than a Rainsong. In my opinion, anyway. Plus, it never goes out of tune and you can play it in the tub if you want.

Comment

BreedLove, IMO they sound better then 99% of everything out there. You can pick up a used Focus for $1,400.

Comment

Which one of the above mentioned is the easiest to play lead riffs on? I would like great action ans a guitar whose tone is not suffered above the 10th fret.

Comment

Working...
                        X