Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 2003 Custom Shop LP Custom

Okay, Shawn, decision time:

Jennifer Garner busts into your house, points a gun at your head, and says, "Rock my world, Shawn, rock my world."

Do you reach for the Les Paul or your Dean Hardtail?

Comment

Believe it or not, I think its the hardtail.....

Shawn
      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Shawn, beautiful guitar man!! Question: How come the strings are wrapped over the stop bar? Is there an advantage to this? I have a handful of Gibsons and none of them came this way. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Hey Scott, Thanks!

From what I am told by my luthier, he does that , because it tends to make the strings sit a little lower, and, as I can attest, they feel less tight, definitely more of a loose feel.

Why? Who the F*** knows..........

Shawn
          Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

That is Gorgeous ....I love the looks of Les Pauls ,I could sit and stare at that for hours [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Wolf

Comment

the wraparound question thing,

Zakk Wylde had an interesting answer for this. It went something like, he used to palmmute a lot (obviously) and the sweat rusted out some of the saddles, so they became sharp and broke strings.

Apparently its due to that and the fact that when the strings come out of the tailpiece (when strung normally straight forward), the angle they incline when they pass over the bridge is really high also (unless you raise the tail).

so thats a reason wylde does it.

but shawn's answer is a great one too!

Comment

Congrats! That's a beautiful guitar. How's the weight on that thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Avenged:
                  the wraparound question thing,

Zakk Wylde had an interesting answer for this. It went something like, he used to palmmute a lot (obviously) and the sweat rusted out some of the saddles, so they became sharp and broke strings.

Apparently its due to that and the fact that when the strings come out of the tailpiece (when strung normally straight forward), the angle they incline when they pass over the bridge is really high also (unless you raise the tail).

so thats a reason wylde does it.

but shawn's answer is a great one too!
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do the same thing with my Pauls - because Zakk does!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The one thing I can say is that I can get the stoptail down as low as it goes (so the posts are tight with the anchors - it almost sits on the wood!) and I am of the opinion that this helps creat a better sustain. I may be way off base, but that's just my feeling... It also creates a less sharp angle over the bridge, so you have a little less tension, and less of a chance to "kink" the strings over the knife edge of the saddles.

Comment

As far as the weight goes, it is probably the heaviest guitar you have ever picked up in your life.

It has got to be 11-12lbs....I sit down and play at home most of the time, so I dont really care, but if I was playing out, there is no freakin way this would get much use.

If I played out it would be one of my Hardtails,(both 9.1 lbs) or my G&L Asat Special. I love those MFD pickups.....

Shawn
                    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

You're on a guitar buying rampage aren't ya

How many ya got now and when can we expect a groupshot ? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X