Guys, is this a good trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys, is this a good trade?

Hey guys. I have an Ibanez RG3120TW modified w/ a Dimebucker in the bridge and a '59 on the neck. I met this guy who trades me his Gibson gothic xplorer for my Ibanez. Does this seem like a good deal>?

Re: Guys, is this a good trade?

If you can hang with the neck on the Explorer, I'd do it. Those Gothic things are evil looking - and evil is good.
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Evil will always overpower good... because good is dumb!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hehehe....Are the explorers neck heavy?

Comment

Yes, and yes. Get the Explorer because it's neck heavy! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'd take almost any Gibson over an Ibanez ANY day. (Except a Floral Jem) Explorers aren't too bad as far as that neck-heaviness goes, but you may have to move the strap buttons to balance it a little better.

Comment

I think you should keep the Ibanez. What you are doing is trading a high end Ibanez for a low end Gibson that is top heavy. The necks are completely different too. If you like the neck on the Ibanez you will HATE the neck on the Gibson. Since you already own and obviously chose the Ibanez I would assume you like the neck profile. The Gibson neck profile, feel and frets are NOTHING like the Ibanez. I like Gibson Explorers but the model Ibanez that you have is a killer shredders delight. Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I love Ibanez guitars. Especially the high end ones.

Comment

Hmmm. I have owned many many explorers and have never had one that was neck heavy.... Hell... I own 3 now .... Nope 4 including the SD... Non e are neck haeavy... I dont own any Gothics though... Had a Gothic V and it was pretty killer... Is it an air mail deal or can you play it first? JG has some valid points too... I love the Necks on Explorers though.

Play it first if you can(Standing up of course!

I am a Gibson guy, I like Ibanez's... ESP's... Basically, if it feels good and sounds good I like it. Don't let brand loyalty get in the way of either keeping or not keeping a guitar... Keep it because it inspires you to play and play well.

Comment

I also don't like the lack of fretmarkers on the gothics. I believe that Gibson guitars should have fretmarkers instead of that stupid moon on the 12th fret. The Gibson Gothic is the "trendy" Explorer for all the younger Metallica wannabee's who actually like their last few albums. Goth chicks are cool because they are usually have problems that us guys can exploit but Goth dudes are candy ass wimps who wear big pants, have multiple pearcings and many tatoos, weird colored hair and hang out at the Duck Pin lanes with the rest of the losers. I guess the only thing worse is the Gothic Epiphone Explorer. How's that for an opinion!

Comment

I'd trade that guitar in a heartbeat, I am not a fan of Gibson at all, nor Ibanez ( although i have an RG 7420 and plays awesome) but i feel Gibsons are better built than any Ibanez, ebony fretboards plays really great, they feel awesome to me, so maybe , even if the profile if rounder, i'd think the ebony fretboard might compensate it....

Comment

TOEJAM! SPACEBALLS RULZ! "I see your Schwartz is as big as mine...let's see how well you...handle it."

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I live that movie! Half the jokes are groaners, but the other half are HIGH-larious!

Dark Helmet: If there's one thing I despise, it is a fair fight. But if I must, then I must. May the best man win. Put 'er there.
                      [Reaches out to shake Lone Starr's hand and takes his Schwartz ring]
                      Dark Helmet: The Ring! I can't believe you fell for the oldest trick in the book! What a fool, what's with you man, c'mon? Here let me give it back to you. Oh!
                      [throws it down a hole]
                      Dark Helmet: Oh, look at that, you fell for that too! I can't believe it, man!
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Trade him sell it on the bay and buy something you want, get more out of the explorer. You won't want it if its neck heavy, nothing worse than playing and trying to keep the neck from diving. Guess you could move the strap pegs. Doubt you will like the neck profile as well as the ibanez.

Comment

I'd say keep the Ibanez. It is a much better guitar in my opinion. Unless of course you just plain don't like it. Make up you own mind, we can either validate or contradict your decision. In the end it depends on what you'll play more.

By the way, "Don't you have the schwartz, too?"

"Nah, he's got the upside, I've got the downside. There are two sides to every schwartz."

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V:
                            Hmmm. I have owned many many explorers and have never had one that was neck heavy.... Hell... I own 3 now .... Nope 4 including the SD... Non e are neck haeavy... I dont own any Gothics though... Had a Gothic V and it was pretty killer... Is it an air mail deal or can you play it first? JG has some valid points too... I love the Necks on Explorers though.

Play it first if you can(Standing up of course!

I am a Gibson guy, I like Ibanez's... ESP's... Basically, if it feels good and sounds good I like it. Don't let brand loyalty get in the way of either keeping or not keeping a guitar... Keep it because it inspires you to play and play well.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Chris, I agree 100%. I also have 3 Explorers in my stable. One 1976 and 2 reissues. They play great and have no balancing issues. I have never been into the Gothic series though. They seem a little cheesy to me.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

The Explorer that I played had replacement Grover tuners on it that I think caused it to be top heavy.

Comment

Working...
                              X