Guys, is this a good trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guys, is this a good trade?

Well I talked with the guy and he is telling me that he is probably going to come to my house this weekend. I just ask opinions becouse I've never tried an explorer or so. I've had a gothic-v and it was pretty awesome. The only thing I don't like about the ibanez is the tremolo. I'm starting to hate Floyd Rose's.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
      TOEJAM! SPACEBALLS RULZ! "I see your Schwartz is as big as mine...let's see how well you...handle it."
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah, that's the best movie. I really need to pick that up on dvd soon! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Dark Helmet: I am your father's, brother's, newphew's, cousin's former roommate.

Lone Star: So what does that make us?

Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing... which is what you are about to become. Prepare to die!!!

[ April 29, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

"I'm a Mawg. Half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend." ha ha ha ha

"Spaceballs:The flamethrower! THe kids love this one." HA HA HAH

Comment

Keep the Ibanez. Its a much better guitar.

Comment

Um wait were compairing a Japanese made bolt on basswood Ibanhad to a USA made set neck solid piece or Honduran Mohagony. The Gothic Explorer
            is exactly the same as the 76 reissue it just has a less expensive matte finish on it. It is still Nitrocelulose Laqure plus it has the 500t and 496R pickups in it. Solid metal as dense as brass
            with an awesome tone vs the cheaper hammered steal parts of the Edge pro trem. For me there is no contest. Take the frikkin Explorer espesailly if its got a Gibson case. Those puppies are about 150 bux so what if its foofy pink inside. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
            Yeah the IBanez is a Prestige series guitar but common its a bolt on Basswood vs the Set neck mohagony.
            Gil

Comment

Keep the Ibanez!!

Comment

I'd say it's not a good trade. I borrowed my friends Gibson Gothic Explorer for a few gigs, all it did was feed back, the sound was weak and it was a pain in the ass to play the higher frets. But it's up to you.
                93 USA Soloist EDS
                USA HT6 Juggernaut
                Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK:
                  Um wait were compairing a Japanese made bolt on basswood Ibanhad to a USA made set neck solid piece or Honduran Mohagony. The Gothic Explorer
                  is exactly the same as the 76 reissue it just has a less expensive matte finish on it. It is still Nitrocelulose Laqure plus it has the 500t and 496R pickups in it. Solid metal as dense as brass
                  with an awesome tone vs the cheaper hammered steal parts of the Edge pro trem. For me there is no contest. Take the frikkin Explorer espesailly if its got a Gibson case. Those puppies are about 150 bux so what if its foofy pink inside. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  Yeah the IBanez is a Prestige series guitar but common its a bolt on Basswood vs the Set neck mohagony.
                  Gil
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your entitled to your own opinion of course but you are way off base regarding Ibanez, the Low Pro Edge Trem and Basswood. The Edge Pro and the Low Pro are regarded as the the best full floating recessed trems in the business. Basswood is an outstanding tonewood. MANY high end manufacturers use basswood. A set neck is not better than a bolt on neck. It is just different.
                  Ibanez Prestige guitars have fantastic electronics packages that are very high quality. Ibanez Prestige cases are amongst the nicest cases in the business too. Have you ever seen a UV1000 case? Killer. You can't possibly refute that. Its plush, well made, has a combo lock, a huge compartment to store your goodies, great hinges and gold trim. The guitar also fits perfectly in it.

Comment

Jg Yes I am entitled to my own opinions. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    However for comparison sake lets weigh the differances of construction. Honuran Mohagony more expensive than Basswood of any species.
                    Solid cast steal bridge and tail piece vs the white metal used for the Lo pro edge. Ive seen more problems with Ibanes trems than any other Floyd Rose copy or style bridge. ( remember I work at a dealer?) Set neck more expensive of a neck attachemnt than a bolt on. Gibson was involved in the devolopment of the humbucker with Seth Lover and still makes some of the best sounding passive humbuckers out especailly for the woods they use. Yes I have sen the UV1000 case and it is nice. Again I work at a dealer.
                    Not to sound sarcastic but I speak from my experiances not out of my ass as some would think.
                    I have had Ibanez Edge trems break while i was working on them. The pivot studs they use are of the same metal that the trem is made of. How many of those posts with the allen wrench head have you seen cracked in half? Ive seen cracks in the base of the edge trem and saddles cracked in half with very little tork. Yes metal fatigue can play a facter in any senario. I've never seen a Gibson bridge or tail piece crack, break or even chip.
                    Yes some of the neglegted bridges have flattened out over time of non-use and too much downward pressure from the strings but I've never seen one crack from it. Favor Ibanez over the GIbson that's your poragative and right as a human. I'm not arguing that fact. I'm just stressing the quality and craftsmanship of all parts involved on both sides of ths coin. If it was a Japanese Jackson I would be saying the same thing. Although we know the Japanese JAcksons are better or equal too the Prestige series Ibanez. It is all a matter of personal prefferance though.
                    But look at the over all differances not just the name on the headstock but each piece by itself and as a whole assembled guitar. A guitar is only as good as its weekest part is it not?
                    Gil

Comment

Dude, you are not stating fact...only opinion. JG wasn't going by name only, he was going by parts. The Edge and Lo Pro Edge are not made out of crappy metal, the Lo TRS is. Basswood vs Mahogany is purely a preference thing. For instance, if you go to Warmoth and were to order a strat style, top routed body, the cost would be the SAME for either wood, $155. Set neck vs bolt on is also just a preference thing. The cost involved would be directly proportion to how the company was setup to produce a neck joint. If Gibson is setup to do set neck guitara and Ibanez is setup to do bolt on, the cost would be similiar. These are not handmade guitars. Personally, I am more of a Gibson fan, but that is just me. In this particular trade I would go for the Ibanez. The Gothic series is mediocre Gibson at best. Just because you work at a dealer/or are a dealer doesn't make what you say fact. It is still only your opinion.

Comment

Thanks DaddyD, I couldn't have said it better myself. Sometimes the Ibanez bashing around here just gets a little too out of hand. I just can't imagine any accomplished player could think that an RG550, a S540, a Jem, a Universe a high end Prestige or one of the Dave Bunker USRG series are not a very nice guitars. Although they may not like the neck profile or even the style of the guitar, it is off base to just bash them because they have an Ibanez logo on the headstock. I do admit that both Gibson and Ibanez both make some pretty crappy low end guitars. Most guitar companies do. The Gothic IMHO, is a low end Gibson. In the intitial thread, we are asked if it is a good trade to trade a low end Gibson for a high end Ibanez. My answer is still no and my original reason was quite simple. If you like the neck on the Prestige, you will HATE the neck on the Gibson. Profile, scale, amount of frets and fret size are all completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                          If you like the neck on the Prestige, you will HATE the neck on the Gibson.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not necessarily. Some people have problems playing on thinner necks and tend to get hand cramps. Hamer did a study on this quite a few years back and had a diagram that showed how a thicker, rounder neck conforms more to a proper grip and comfortability while playing.
                          Though, I've had a few Dinkies and an Ibanez that had thin necks that were comfortable and didn't have a problem, but I don't have any problem going back and forth between the thinner and rounder/thicker neck profiles. Actually, I seem to prefer the rounder ones nowadays like the '59 profile on my LP Studio, Jackson JJP or Hamer Special FM.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My point is that comparing the 2 necks is like comparing apples and oranges. How could one possibly go into a store and CHOOSE an Ibanez Prestige with its super thin neck profile and super wide fretboard with its 24 jumbo frets and then consider a Gibson Explorer with its chunky neck profile, fairly thin fretboard and 22 low wide frets and then ask if trading 1 for the other is a good deal. I am not saying that 1 is better than the other.. I am only saying that they are very different. OK, I will answer it differently.
                            If you are only focusing on resale value then by all means buy the the Gibson.
                            If you feel the Ibanez neck is comfortable for you then you really need to find a guitar with a similar neck profile. The Gibson couldn't be further away from it.

Comment

I would like to add that I don't agree with the resale value comment. I believe both guitars have similiar values. The Gothic being a low end Gibson isn't going to appreciate or hold its new retail value. I routinely see them for $400-$500. I believe the Ibanez actuallys sells for more used.

Comment

I too would hang on to the Ibanez. Those Gothics are relatively cheap (compared to the full-on Explorer) so I'd say just save up for a few weeks and get a new one if you want one and have both! You can't have too many guitars!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X