New GMW (Problems)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GMW (Problems)

Am I the only one that has ever had a bad experiance with GMW? I just got my Lynch custom and it has issues. It has real bad fret buzz, I adjusted the truss and have the neck almost straight and it still buzzes. I took it to a local pro tech and he said the radius on the fret board and the radius on the Floyd are different. You can see that the A string is lower than the low E and the B string is lower than the high E.
    Lee said he set the guitar up himself before he shipped it so why wouldn't he notice this. Also the single coil is not centered on the neck. The high E is not even over the poll.I did mention this to Lee he just said as long as it's close it's fine. For a custom built guitar you would think they could get this right. I could see if it was built on an assembly line.
    Anyway just wondering if anyone else has had any problems. I have emailed him about this and am waiting for a reply. Hopefully he will make it right but in my opinion it sould have never left his shop this way.
    I am very disappointed. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Re: New GMW (Problems)

Bro any chance of posting some pics of this as I am a big Lynch freak and would love to see this one??? Kammo1 [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Moregain:
      Am I the only one that has ever had a bad experiance with GMW? I just got my Lynch custom and it has issues. It has real bad fret buzz, I adjusted the truss and have the neck almost straight and it still buzzes. I took it to a local pro tech and he said the radius on the fret board and the radius on the Floyd are different.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Straightening the neck further will not reduce buzz - if anything it needs some relief...depending where you're at a temp change may have tweeked it....

A stock Floyd nut is a 10 radius - if you're fretboard is a 9.5 it's going to be off, but thats no reason for the A & B strings to be lower than the E's...in fact - Warmoths entire reason for the 10/16 compound (at least how they arrived at those #'s) was the amount of Floyd nut necks they were doing - needing the nut radius - but also making them harder to set up for the upper 16 radius because the bridge saddles can't be adjusted...

I'm sure Lee will make it right- you should also give your guitar some time.

Steve E

Comment

The Floyd saddles should be three different sizes... the two Es should be the lowest, the B and A should be higher, the G and D should be the highest. Take them off and put them in the right order. They should also be numbered on the bottom: the two Es should be number 2, the B and A should be number 1, and the G and D should have no number on them at all.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The saddles appear to be in the right place.
          I guess maybe they need to be shimmed.

Comment

I have never had any problems with GMW, and I own a bunch of em. My advice is; send it back. Lee should even pay for shipping both ways, but he probably won't. Every guitar I have ever received from them was set up perfectly, and I have never heard of anything else, at least in setup/playability. As far as the single coil, if it is at the neck, how well does each pole (not poll!) line up? They are never all going to be dead on exact, but the outside poles should be very close to centered. Good luck.

Comment

Single coil pups are typicaly non Floyd spaced. As Metalcop suggested. They're made for Strats and Strat trem string spacng so they wont line up perfectly. As long as the string volume is good don't worry about it. As for the Trem it does sound like it needs to be shimmed at those two saddles. Send it back to Lee he should take care of it.
              Gil
              (Mr redundancy) [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Th Floyd is based on the Fender trem, which means it has the same spacing so the singles should line up under the strings just like a Fender trem.

If the neck is made so that you have to remove it to adjust the truss rod, then you will have to give it some time to settle to the new changes. Wood is not stiff like concrete, and truss rod changes combined with total loss of string tension as in the case of Strat-style/Charvel necks makes it worse, which is why Jackson uses top-mounted trussrod nuts (not very authentic, but not as problematic).

And for a handmade guitar, the pickups won't be 100% properly aligned. Tonally, it won't affect anything.

And I suggest you comepletely remove the Floyd saddles to make sure they are in the right spot, don't just "guess" they're ok - check and double-check. It could be bad saddles, and nothing wrong with the guitar itself.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I under stand that the poles won't all line up but as you said the outside ones should be centered or spaced equaly. On a positive note Dan did an awesome job on the Graphic (Custom Bengal).

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                    It could be bad saddles, and nothing wrong with the guitar itself.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bad saddles would be something wrong with the guitar itself [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I meant nothing wrong with the wood, knucklehead [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                      Any and all hardware trouble can be remedied easily by the owner - construction disorders have to be sent back.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I pulled the saddles today and they are in the right position. They must need shimmed or one is defective. When looking at my other Floyds this one doesn't look like it has as much radius or step moving from the low E to the A then to the D.

I guess I have to send it back to Lee, he emailed me said he'll only pay for shipping one way. He said he would set it up again and rise the action but didn't think there was anything wrong with the guitar since no one has complained about his guitars in over a year. Well that kinda pissed me off [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] . Like there is no problem, I even had a local tech check it out so that I would have a second opion. Plus raising the action is not the answer. It is no lower than my other nine guitars which play great.

Sorry for the rant, this just blows

Comment

two words....Judge Judy

Comment

I know that Lee can be a tad arrogant, but that is because his work IS that good! If GMW took one serious complaint a year, I would be surprised. I'm sure that the guitar was set up and playing properly when it left the shop, the weather and climate changes can wreak havoc on a guitar neck. Where are you located in relation to Glendora, CA?

I think that if something is wrong with the guitar, and you have to send it back, GMW should pay for shipping both ways. I had a guitar restored, and a single screw was left in the case and it put a nasty ding on the back of the body. I wanted it fixed, and you guessed it, I had to pay for shipping back, and it cost me like $50!! The reason that GMW can get away with this, is because they are the absolute best, and people will put up with bs like this, for what GMW is giving them.

Comment

Sounds like they have customer relation problems to me. I wont be buying a guitar from them.

MetalCop you say thier mistake caused a problem with your guitar and you had to pay for it? Thats not how to do buisness. They should have paid for shipping maybe then they would think twice before they sent out a problem.

Making people pay for thier mistakes is a good way to go out of buisness. Its not like they are gibson.

Comment

Working...
                              X