P90 equipped guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P90 equipped guitars

Alright, I'm looking for an LP with dual P90's. Well, I'm looking for a LOT of things but this is the most affordable. I found a LP Special Double Cutaway for $200 which seems like a good deal. Are these set neck or bolt-on? The new Gibson faded LP Jr would be better, I know, but if I had that kind of money I'd buy the faded SG instead. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If anyone has recommendations for dual P90 guitars in the "Jobless Bastard" price range, let me know. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

------

EDITED!

Found one on eBay, and they're set neck. Nobody on Harmony Central bothered mentioning this. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I'd still like some more recommendations if anyone has them. P90's are pretty much what I've been looking for tonewise, but the one I have doesn't look too good in my V so I need a different guitar with these things. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ May 03, 2004, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: Black Mariah ]

Re: P90 equipped guitars

Agile makes a double-cut LP with P90's.

Comment

If you've not played with them yet - be prepared for the noisiest things on earth...I had 3 Fralins in a guitar that I took apart and sold because the noise made an un-shielded Strat seem quiet....There might be stacked P-90's out there though.

Steve E

Comment

Used Hamer USA Special, best P-90 guitar for the buck!! 1992-93 had very thin necks, after that medium. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by speed monkey:
          If you've not played with them yet - be prepared for the noisiest things on earth...I had 3 Fralins in a guitar that I took apart and sold because the noise made an un-shielded Strat seem quiet....There might be stacked P-90's out there though.

Steve E
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the noise is part of the charm! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] all of the 'noiseless' (mostly stacked) p90s I've heard are pretty boring and anemic sounding compared to the real thing.

Comment

My Hamer has two P90s. The lead is quiet and the neck is noisy as hell. I am going to replace the neck. P90 sound great though. Hamers are the best p90 equipped deals out there.

Comment

p90's look so ugly IMO.

Comment

I don't mind the noise. Roll down the tone control and away it goes. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I stole the idea from Greg Anderson, from Goatsnake and SunnO))). He uses an old LP goldtop, both pickups on, with the tone rolled down. Killer tone. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Another vote for the Hamer is you want USA made for under $400.

Comment

Yep, the Hamer is the way to go if you're looking for inexpensive but great P90 tone. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Eh, I vote for Hamer if you want a new guitar period...

Comment

hamer makes a great guitar. I love my Gibson doublecut Les Paul tho... it just has a vintage thing going on, and I think it's better looking than the Hamers. Just my opinion though... the Hamers are a better bang for the buck.

I'm really surprised Hamer doesn't make an import special w/P90s...

Pete

Comment

Here's a great deal on a black 93 Hamer (USA) P-90 Special for $400 shipped incl. case.

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/cgi-bin/...rum=DCForumID1

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                            Well, if you're looking for a P-90 tone without getting a new guitar, check into the DiMarzio Bluesbuckers (regular humbucker-sized pickups). They're supposed to have that P-90 sound without the noise. www.dimarzio.com
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Rio Grande is doing the same thing too - I think they call their models the Bastard & the Fat Bastard.....still noisey, but beats the heck out of buying a new guitar (unless you just gots to have a new guitar [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Steve E

Comment

Yeah, you're right. I've got a Rio Grande catalog that's got them. Gotta go see if I can find that one.
                              EMG makes the 58 which is a P-90 sound in humbucker housing. It's also supposedly a little noisy, and that's the pickup they based the 85 on. The 58 can still be made, but it's not in their catalog or website any longer. A couple people on this board have used them... I think Kickaxeguitars and maybe Venomboy.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X