PRS and Fender reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS and Fender reviews

The Dragon 2's are certainly the weakest link on an otherwise excellent guitar. Fairly thin and weak when using distortion is a good description. They do however sound fantastic clean whether full humbucking or coil tapped. I am leaving them in only because my band does some old Aerosmith and Kiss tunes and these pickups will be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
      So Paul Reed Smiths have big necks? Even the cheap ones? I remember playing a PRS once and hating how it sounded and that gigantic heel...the Hamer I played before it was much nicer!
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The new ones might, but both CE-24s I've owned were pre-'95s and had small heels and medium-thickness necks. Actually, the first CE-24 I had (back in 1991) had a V-profile neck like you'd find on an old Dean. I don't know if they still do this, but PRS used to have a wide range of neck profiles that you could order for your guitar. I've played old PRS's with very thin necks--no thicker than an Ibanez Wizard. And yes, there are baseball bats out there as well. The big heels on the newer ones really do suck, though. I know it's supposed to improve the tone a little bit, but that comes at the expense of rendering the high frets mostly useless for real playing.

Comment

I like the pickups om my CE 24. HFS and Bass.
        Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

I have a 2002 Custom 24 with the stock HFS bridge and Vintage Bass pick-ups. It has the 5-position rotary selector. I love the sound of the pick-ups in all positions. With the right amp, you can dial in several types of metal sounds. The clean sounds you get with the coil tap are what first attracted me to the guitar. The pick-up output does drop somewhat when in the coil tap modes. It has the wide-thin neck and the smaller neck heel that doesn't hinder access to the upper frets. The non-recessed trem returns in tune every time. The build quality and the materials used in the guitar are all first rate. The guitar is very versatile and plays great. Overall, I love the guitar. JMO.

Comment

PRS.....Have been through a few, dont do anything for me, much prefer the Dean Hardtail. I have two now.

Strats rule though.

Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X