Yet another 7 string post...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yet another 7 string post...

Ah, well, that could be an issue. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I forget how international this forum is, sometimes.

Hey, that brings up a good question, though - how many 7 strings do those of you in Europe see? Both in stores - if it's anything like the U.S., it's pretty much Ibanez-only - and being used by people in bands?

I'm just curious as to how much you actually see them, and who uses them?

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I'm still waiting for my EMG's 707's to arive for my RR7, I was going to get something from SD cutom shopbut the priceing was kinda out there.
      According To The Prophecy

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
        Actually, there are som bands that use dropped-Bb tuning, like KoRn, although "indistinct" is the term that comes to mind. A bassist would have to be using bridge cable for anything to come out tuned that low, though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, I tune down a half-step myself on both my 7-strings and my 5-string bass. Haven't noticed it making much of a difference on either bass or guitar. But tuning down 1.5 steps, that's another matter. Besides, I have to have some reason to justify keeping the Soloist rather than selling it to upgrade my studio... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

how many 7 strings do those of you in Europe see? Both in stores - if it's anything like the U.S., it's pretty much Ibanez-only - and being used by people in bands?

Mike
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've just seen ibanez 7 strings...oh and also a squier! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:

I played an LTD Carpenter at the Seven Corners GC about six months ago, and it didn't really grab me. And GC was asking way too much for it--$799, if I recall correctly. For a used LTD. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't think it was the baritone, but I think the problem for me was its lack of setup--like everything else at that store.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It had to be a baritone - they didn't introduce the non-baritone version of it until this spring, as I understand it. Amen on the lack of setup - they're getting worse than MARS used to be in that department.

It's a pretty nice guitar, I guess - but I'd really like to get my hands on one of the Japanese market Carpenter ESPs. The last one I saw on eBay went really steep, though - I think it finished for more than $1600.

Mike

Comment

Ah, well, that could be an issue. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I forget how international this forum is, sometimes.

Hey, that brings up a good question, though - how many 7 strings do those of you in Europe see? Both in stores - if it's anything like the U.S., it's pretty much Ibanez-only - and being used by people in bands?

Mike
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dunno about Europe, but here in South America, Venezuela at least, i have only seen 3 seven strings guitars, 2 ibanez RG 7620 and a Washburn that had a tuneomatci with stop tailpiece bridge, I own an Ibanez RG 7420, and i've seen guys in other bands play that same RG 7420, some RG 7321, some ESP LTD H 207, I also used to have an LTD M207, i sold it and some dude is playing it, some De armond 7 strings too, but the most popular are the Ibanezes, IMO the best were the LTD's

Comment

I thought exactly the same thing - replace the Floyd and pickups, and that's a pretty cool guitar. They go for more money than I've seen most of the USA 7s go for on evilBay, though - how insane is that?

Of course, you could just buy the LTD SC-607 - the non-Baritone Stephen Carpenter. No Floyd, but EMG 81-7 pickups...

Mike
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, the last H-307 on eBay went for $315 a few days ago--and that with a replacement active 707 in the bridge. I remember because I'm pissed that I forgot the auction during the middle of my workday and didn't get a bid in. Given how much I like my Schecter A-7 Elite, however, I could really use the MH-307 with Floyd more, since the A-7 already has the Tune-o-matic thing covered.

However, I have noticed that the MH-307s tend to go for a bit more. I'd even settle for the non-archtop M-307, but you don't see those on eBay much anymore.

I played an LTD Carpenter at the Seven Corners GC about six months ago, and it didn't really grab me. And GC was asking way too much for it--$799, if I recall correctly. For a used LTD. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't think it was the baritone, but I think the problem for me was its lack of setup--like everything else at that store. It really is just an MH-307 with a different pickup configuration. Also, that was a bit before I decided to make the commitment to 7-string guitaring.

Comment

This whole thread makes me realize what a shame it is that Jackson only made a half-assed attempt at 7-string guitars a few years ago. The DR-7 just doesn't do it for me--bolt on and 22 frets doesn't fill my needs.

I guess the Fear Factory dude's sig model is coming soon, but that will undoubtedly sell for $$$. I'd rather go custom shop on my own design if I were going to take that plunge. Nobody's making production 7-strings anymore except Ibanez and Carvin, but wouldn't it have been great if there had been something like a 7-string version of the SL-3? I'd buy the next one that showed up on eBay...

Comment

Mike
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You only see Ibanez 7 strings really. Once in a blue moon you see a Jackson 7 string or B C Rich.
                    93 USA Soloist EDS
                    USA HT6 Juggernaut
                    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                      This whole thread makes me realize what a shame it is that Jackson only made a half-assed attempt at 7-string guitars a few years ago. The DR-7 just doesn't do it for me--bolt on and 22 frets doesn't fill my needs.

I guess the Fear Factory dude's sig model is coming soon, but that will undoubtedly sell for $$$. I'd rather go custom shop on my own design if I were going to take that plunge. Nobody's making production 7-strings anymore except Ibanez and Carvin, but wouldn't it have been great if there had been something like a 7-string version of the SL-3? I'd buy the next one that showed up on eBay...
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree - several of us "lower level" endorsers harped on the 7 string thing for YEARS. Some of us even discussed getting a shop to do a limited run of 7 string Soloists, but I think most of us just ended up ordering them from the CS. The FF 7 string might be kind of cool, but a bit limited for me - I wouldn't expect it to be much higher than the price of the other endorser guitars. There's talk of a Japanese version, too, which might be more cost-effective.

It really is a shame that you have five companies making "off the shelf" 7 strings, and you canonly find Ibanez in stores - it seems most would rather just downtune a 6 string, I guess. It's a real b*tch is finding something you like when the only real non-Ibanez choices there are you have to order (or buy from eBay) before you'll know if you like them, because stores don't stock them. (At least none near me do.)

Ah, well, I'm better off than most, anyway...

Comment

Working...
                      X