Tokai Love Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokai Love Rock

Tokai is probably fetching the most money out of all of the MIJ LP copies. I've not played the Korean Tokai's but they do get mentioned on the Tokai website quite extensively. Tokai forum You might want to ask that there but I believe you'll have to sign up.
    Are you looking for new or used? Used I presume?
    Greco and Ibanez were making copies well before Tokai. Yamaha Studio Lords are well made also.

[ May 16, 2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Re: Tokai Love Rock

Yeah Im after a used one. Theres one on Ebay and its about £30 ($50) more than what I was willing to pay and its like cherry sunburst-ish but I was willing to put up with that cos it was set neck and had binding. But obviously if it was gonna be crap quality Id rather buy something else.

Anyone know anything about Columbus and their 70's Les Pauls?

James

Comment

I do not recall that brand offhand, but there were so many mij offshoots trying to exploit the US market in the mid to late 70's, Bradley, Maya etc.

I looked up on Harmony Central and the one review for the 335 looked good..who knows? You could give it a roll. From the looks of it, this guitar brand is more focused upon the European market than USA..much like Patrick Eggle is found in Europe than the States.

I personally have found a preference for Greco, Burny/Fenandes..Navigator/ESP...Orville/Gibson. There are other brands... all typically say 'we're the best'.

When it comes to a copy..it's an individuals choice of what is at hand because they made so many with many varying techniques of construction. Some actually strived to be '59 Les Pauls, and some..a copy with corners cut. Gibson did the same thing over the years.

Comment

Thanks man - I owe you one.
        Ive found out the Columbus I was after is a bolt on, and I passed up what was basically a Les Paul Custom copy but with a bolt on neck for the same price last month (full double edge body binding and everything), so Id be kicking myself if I decided to go for it.
        I dunno, I think its a case of playing the waiting game.
        Thanks though

James

Comment

There are plenty of Japanese LP copies out there, you should also check out ESP Japan, they have a guitar line called Edwards, best bang for your buck imho.

cheers

Comment

Thanks man but Im looking to spend like less than £150 ($200 v. approx). The guitar market in the UK is miniscule, and Ive only ever seen two Edwards guitars up for sale, and never one in person.

Thanks though, Ill bear it in mind.

James

Comment

The Korean Tokai would be similar to a
              Dillion, Epiphone Korean, Agile, etc...

There are two Korean models that were made to Japan specs.
              2001 Limited Edition.
              '59 Customshop.

Many of the Korean LR's were alder bodies, maple necks, and bolt on.
              The 2001 and '59 had set necks, mahogany bodies and necks. Not sure if they have a carved maple cap underneath the figured veneer.
              Korean models also have scarfed headstocks. where as the MIJ neck and headstock are one piece. If that's a big deal to you.

There are many MIJ replica guitars.
              Fuji Gen Gakki and Tokai Hamamatsu are two of the more known factories, and built for many other brands.

Greco - Fuji Gens own brand.
              Orville/Orville by Gibson - Made for Gibson by Fuji Gen. OBG being the higher level models.
              Epiphone Japan - Post Orville. Fuji factory made.
              Epiphone Elite - Post Epi Japan. Fuji factory made.
              Burny - Fernandes Brand. Fuji factory made.
              Ibanez - Fuji Factory made. Ibanez doesnt actually have a factory.
              Yamaha - Fugi made as well.
              Edwards - ESP made. mid to upper mid level guitars.
              Navigator - ESP Made. High end guitars. Easely rate up there with Gibson Historic.
              Grass Roots - ESP's Korean made brand. On par with budget LTDs.
              Tokai MIJ- Made at the Hamamatsu factory. LS60 - LS85 upper mid level guitars. On par with Gibby production models.
              LS200 and LS320 are on par with Gibson Historic.
              Diodati - Made for Pete Diodati. Sold in the USA. Made in the Hamamatsu factory. Upper mid to high level guitars. Easely on par with Gibson USA production.Body styling is very similar to a Heritage H150.
              Ornetts - MIJ. Has truss rod reversed. Adjusts at the end of the fretboard. Between the fretboard and neck pickup. There's an access hole there.
              Ornetts believes having the rod adjust at the fretboard/neck pickup area rather than the headstock adds strength to the headstock/neck area. They believe that the routed out area for access to the truss on Gibsons causes a weak spot because the wood is too thin there then (between the route and back of headstock/neck area). Thus, the plagued headstock breakage experienced with Gibson LPs.

Aria Pro, Hohner, Memphis, and others had Japan replicas made as well.

Many semi hollows for Orville, E-J, Elite, etcc. were made in the Tarada factory.

One thing to remember.
              Most Japan replicas are made for the Japan market.
              Most model numbers represent type of replica, retail price in Yen, What kind of top or model name.
              Examples:
              Tokai LS85Q = LP Standard, 85,000 yen, Quilt top.
              Navigator N-LP-380-LTD = Navigator, Les Paul, 380,000 yen, Limited model.
              N-LP-320-CTM = Navigator, Les Paul, 320,000 yen, Custom model.

Tokai and Orville are the more known and looked for makes. Seem to fetch a higher price. $600 and over, used.
              Greco, Edwards = are equally as good, but seem to fetch lesser prices. $300 to $500 range, used.
              Especially Edwards. Many don't realize ESP makes these guitars, and havent heard of them. Most Edwards feature actual Duncan pickups.

By the way I own a Diodati 59Q. Awesome guitar.
              Quality, fit, and finsh are top notch.

Another thought for you to look into is the
              Dean EVO Deluxe or Premium. These can be had used for $600 or under. Made in the Czech republic. Definitely worth checking out.

kent
              4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

Cool.
                Thanks man thats really interesting.
                Ill bear that in mind when Im looking. I think its a '59 one cos its got a set neck and whats looks like a mahogany (sp?) body through the stain on the back.

James

Comment

Hey Jamesy , here ya go! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
                  [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] There looks to something wrong with the bridge pup, but who uses that anyhow? Just think how nice this would look in the bathroom with that custom paint job. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think Ill pass on that thanks Dave.

Jamesy

Comment

I picked up a nice near mint Hohner LP set neck copy in sunburst for 185.00 + 25.00 shipping in the US over the winter. Nice axe for the money.
                      While it was an exceptional price as there were others selling for 250.00-275.00.. if you keep an eye out, you can find a deal. I agree in timing is everything sometimes and at times you can walk away with a nice deal. Hohner distributed to Europe too, so you might have good luck with that in your price range.

Edwards makes some very nice newer replicas, especially in the higher end models, but they have been in the 400-600 range.

Older Aria pro 2's, or PE-60, PE-80's..(LP style)
                      You might be able to find one of those in Europe for near the price you seek.

I set up my ebay account to spam me to death for my fav searchs for 3-12 months daily when I'm looking for specific items.

Comment

Tokai Love Rock

How bad are the Korean versions of these guitars? Ive heard the Jap ones are amazing but nothing about these.
                        Bear in mind I'm on a miniscule budget and the other guitar I was looking at was a Columbus LP till I found out it was a bolt on

Jamesy

Comment

Jamesy,
                          A brand that is pretty much unique to the UK is Gordon Smith guitars. They're all Gibson-y (Humbuckers, set-neck, stop-tail) with a kind of "utilitarian" vibe to them. They were never all that expensive new, so used ones should be affordable. If I recall, they're made "Oop North" as well!

If you happen across one of the old Aria PE series - grab it!

Comment

I got a Black Greco Les Paul Custom for 460 off of ebay including shipping which was about 110 from Japan.

My favorite guitar right now.

Comment

I haven't played a Korean Tokai LP copy, but I have played one of their Korean SG copies--and it was at least as nice as any actual recent Gibson SG I've played. I'm sure the pickups suck ass, but those are easily replaced.

Probably, there is a certain amount of quality variance on the Korean Tokais, since they are mass-produced.

Comment

Working...
                              X