got another wolfgang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got another wolfgang

Picked her up this weekend, and invested about 5 hours of elbow grease. Took the neck off, lightly sanded fingerboard and back of neck funk, oiled both, polished the frets, cleaned/buffed the body, cleaned the floyd, reassembled. It's a killer guitar now. Check out the fingerboard figure... it has some interesting patterns in it that were impossible to see from the layers of finger funk. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: got another wolfgang

That's a beautiful guitar, congrats [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Beautiful. I'm just waiting until a nice archtop hardtail one shows up.

Comment

Pete,
        Understand that one of the reason you prefer wolfgang to Jackson is the painted neck, is/are there anymore reason behind it?

And what about Charvel Strat-head, do you prefer wolfgang over them too? And why?

BTW, i'm not a big fan of painted neck either..
        Thanks
        Fong

Comment

I just prefer the neck profile of the wolfgangs, and I think the fretwork and build quality is as good or better than any jacksons I've owned. Also, the entire guitar is 'small' - which makes for a lighter, more comfortable instrument. I had a killer les paul classic for about 3 weeks - it was too heavy. Also, the wolfs have some REALLY nice tops on them - tops that Gibson or PRS would bend you over sideways and make you a prison prom date for.

Things I don't like about the wolfgangs: They tend to sound like crap with aftermarket pickups. List prices new seem pretty high to me. They are Peaveys, but I'm getting over this.

Pete

Comment

Pete,

correct me if i'm wrong, from what i remember, the wolfgang has a narrower nut compare to the regular US Jackson. Somewhere between the older Kramers and the US select Jacksons.

Fong

Comment

That's funny, cause I just got a Wolfgang myself... A Special in Vintage Gold. It is a great guitar. I got mine new, mainly cause I prefer new stuff when I can afford it. What impresses me the most, outside of how great it plays, sounds, etc... is that the quality and setup on every Wolfie I've seen from the high end archtop models to the Korean versions is the same. Once you get used to it, you can pick one up off the rack and truly feel at home.

Comment

It's a 1 5/8" nut, and the neck profile is asymetrical, so it's not the same on the bass side as the treble side. They should call them heroin guitars - once you get used to the neck, nothing else feels quite as good.

Pete

Originally posted by Chameleonfong:
                Pete,

correct me if i'm wrong, from what i remember, the wolfgang has a narrower nut compare to the regular US Jackson. Somewhere between the older Kramers and the US select Jacksons.

Fong
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                  It's a 1 5/8" nut, and the neck profile is asymetrical, so it's not the same on the bass side as the treble side.
                  Pete
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmmm.. asymetrical neck profile.. Guess it hight time i go back and check that baby out again. It's being a LONGGgg time since i try the wolfgang, just hope the dealers here still carry them.

Fong

Comment

I have two usa arch tops and love them both. My gold one is a patent pending model. The green one has a very unique top. I could not believe how much gunk was on it when I got it. Cleaned up real good. I'm with Twister about the necks. I just keep comming back to my wolfies time after time.

Comment

SWEET guitars. Hey, I like that amp too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

A pic of my amber wolf against the guitar tree... : )

I owned two of the standard archtops - a red floyded one and a stoptail in blue, and they were terrific guitars. They had a mellower tone to em than my specials. It's kinda a tossup for me on the specials vs standards. The standards have MUCH nicer wood on the necks, and those cool arched tops. But I prefer the tone of the specials, they are lighter, and cheaper. I know that natural binding is less expensive and easier than real binding, but I love how it looks, especially on a higher contrast color.

I also don't use a tone control. The Wolf archtops just have the tone control jutting out at an angle, which I didn't like.

The specials and standards both 'feel' the same to me, even though the neck is attached a little differently on the standards. The neck shape is the same. I've even played the imports that were pretty nice, but the neck wood was too bleachy looking... reminded me of #2 pencil wood. The quilt tops look good on the imports, but they lack depth. My specials both have that '3D' thing going. Musician's Friend sells the imports for $649, and you can generally get the USA specials for that much, sometimes the standards if you're really lucky.

Pete

Comment

Very nice guitars guys! I'm with ya on the archtop vs. flatop thing Pete. The Specials are very cool. The cosmetic stuff doesn't really justify the price increase to me.

Even new, you'd be hard pressed to pick up a high quality USA made guitar for $900, and Wolfgangs sell new for much less. I'm starting to prefer chunkier neck profiles. Though I would hardly consider myself a shredder, the thicker necks don't slow me down at all and in fact I think they are more comfortable.

The pick ups in the Wolfgangs are also great. It's hard to get the pick up height/action balance right because there are no springs under the pickup. I had to shim the neck a bit to get the action low but maintain some distance between the strings and PU poles for a clear tone. Once I got it sorted out, the thing plays and sounds AMAZINGLY. Great sustain too! Best I've ever had with a bolt on.

A word about the fretwork... I've got the neck playing with very little relief with the strings approximately 1/32" above the 17th fret. Great stuff! The only other time I've gotten action like that was after a good fret level (My Epi Elite pulls it off too). [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'll try and post some pics tonight.

Comment

Even though I am Wolfless at the moment, the most I owned at one time was 3 of them. A Special, a Standard and an EXP. They were all outstanding and made me a better player for sure. I had a goldtop special with original EBMM pickups in it that was possibly the best playing and sounding guitar I have ever owned. Why the heck did I sell it???? At the time I got bit HARD by the 7 string bug + I was suffering from an extreme case of Charvelitis.

Comment

Does anyone have both a EBMM EVH and a Peavey? If so, how do they compare feel-wise and sound-wise?
                            BTW - those are some nice looking guitars posted above - I especially like the Green top... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

The neck on them to me is way too small for my hands, I love the color's and shape but the necks are not for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X