Interesting situation..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting situation..

I picked up a USA Hamer Californian Elite the other day for silly cheap. It was one of those deals that even though the guitar was needing some tlc and a setup you walk away giggling going dumbass. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Anyway. It's the ebony board, 27 fret,
    mohagony body, with the Schaller floyd on it. This thing is amaizing in every way. All the books I've read on this say its loaded with duncans but they look like Schaller pups. i dont remember seeing any marking on the back of the hum when i cleaned her up. Either way it sounds great. It has a weird graphic on it too. Like a checkerboard pattern but all the squares are the same color blue with three larger red squares and some cloud like looking things at the horn edges. Its deffinatly differant. I'll take some pics of it hopefully tonight. But i bought it as an investment piece thinking i waas gonna sell it but now i like it too much. SO if somebody could possably tell me what it may be worth it's in about a 7 condition with some bumps and bruises on the bottom of the body but nothig on the face of it. A small paint chip at the belly cut. Ive see these listed in books for anywhere from 500 to 1100.00 so Im a little confused. If the price is right I may sell it anyway before it becomes my left arm. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Gil

Re: Interesting situation..

Hamers are wildly varied in price. I posted a killer FM special for sale a year or so back (toejam got it) and had someone on the JCF offer me $350 for it, saying that was the going rate. *!* Hamer guitars are bargains on the used market for the most part, but some are getting up there, like the standards and the older sunbursts.

It's a graphic, which is cool... but it sounds like (and no offense to your guitar) an ugly graphic, which could affect price too. (deco dream anyone?)

I think unless you find someone that collects hamer graphics, you would do good to pull $600 out of it, but that's just me. If it was a flame maple top I'd be emailing you before posting this. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

i've seen these go in the $400 to $600 range.
      the use hamer market fluctuates alot in price and it seems the prices are going up on the recent ebay auctions.
      you can try selling at the hamer fan club forum where people seem to get better prices for their guitars.

Comment

Cool thanks guys... Thats about what i figured.
        Ill try the hamer forum or the ebay just for giggles. I'm not sure i want to sell it yet but for the right price.
        Gil

Comment

it has 27 frets?? A Hamer? interesting, Only 27 frets guitars I've seen is Caparison guitars, anyway, do you have pics of your guitar? I really want to see it, thanx.

Comment

man, I've always wanted one of those. You can't just talk about it & not throw up some pics, Gil. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by diospada:
              it has 27 frets?? A Hamer?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, the old Californians had the slanted fretboard with 27 frets. Certain models had Duncan Parallel Axis Trembuckers (both bridge and neck single coil), others had EMGs (I believe an 85 or 89 in the bridge and an SA for the neck). I always wanted one of those! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ May 18, 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                Hamers are wildly varied in price. I posted a killer FM special for sale a year or so back (toejam got it)
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, I love that thing!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Travis and BoxcarWillie have been stalking me for it! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Over the years, the Californians were offered with EMGs, Duncans, DiMarzios, and Hamer's own "Slammer" pickups, which pre-date the crappy Slammer guitar line by a few years. I would suspect that, unless someone put it aftermarket pickups, the pickups are Slammers.
                  sigpic

Comment

What kind of inlays does it have? Sounds like an Elite to me...should have "boomerang" pearl inlays, and bolt-on.

There was a "Custom" model (I believe it was called) that was set-neck.

The "standard", cheaper version had rosewood/dots.

I've never seen one with a graphic like that, not that I've seen THAT many of em hehe. I wonder if that's factory or a refin?

Stu

Comment

It's been at least a year now, but someone had a gorgeous Hamer Californian Elite on ebay with a solid flame maple body - the entire body. Amazing. He had a nice looking Soldano in the pic, too. I thought, man that guy's got it made!

I used to have a Korean version, and even that was really nice. Bolt-on, though. I suspect your Elite is neck-through, isn't it?

J. Frog offers a nice looking guitar copied from the Californian, called the Glock 24. Only problem is, you gotta deal with Ed Roman to get one. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

The Californian Elites tend to go for more--the few I've seen on eBay seemed to go for at least $700.00. With a little tlc, I'll bet you get sell it for more than that.

I've been thinking about getting one of those for a long time, but I've moved mostly into the 7-string world, so that's lower on my priority list now.

Comment

Originally posted by diospada:
                          it has 27 frets?? A Hamer? interesting, Only 27 frets guitars I've seen is Caparison guitars,
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Rand, anybody? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yes it's an Elite. ebony board mohagony body and the Chevron inlays. (AKa nike swipe).
                            It has a few dings and chips but it is a monster for tone and playability. Its got a 3/8 inch thick ebony board with a maple neck and a bolt on.
                            I do believe the pups are Slammers. They arent Dimarzios. but they do have the brass base plate
                            and the rounded screw holes like one. So my guess is the Slammers.
                            It's a 92 i believe if im readint he seriel number right. Starts with 92xxxx
                            Anyway. Ill snap of a few pics and stick em up on my web page so look later today.
                            Gil
                            P.S. It may be for sale for the right price if any body if Jonesing for it.

Comment

Get a hold of Jack (slayer). He is the resident Hamer expert here. I talked to him a few days ago about the piece that I picked up, very well informed guy that slayer.

Comment

Working...
                              X