Jay Turser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Turser

I was considering one of their Les Pauls off of Ebay (drawn in by the purple burst [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), JT 200c I think. I read over some of the past threads on here, and, are these really that bad?

James

Re: Jay Turser

I bought one about a year and a half ago. A green flame top with the Vine inlay down the neck.

The Good:

Pickups actually sounded great. I was all prepared to put in aftermarket pickups but changed my mind fast when I actually played the guitar. Tuners are solid. Grovers, If I remember correctly. Bridge is decent. Action was great and the set neck construction was fantastic.

The Bad:

The guitar had hollow sections in it and it was made out of some type of partical board. However, it was made in China, which is infinitely better than the Turser's made in Korea. The guitar came to me set up like crap. The bridge pickup was not wired correctly and even unscrewed itself and popped out of the guitar completely upon arrival.

The Ugly:

Flame top is not as nice as the pictures would have you believe. The MOP inlay is everywhere but you can see the crappy job of placement in the neck.

I bought the guitar because I wanted a LP and the price was definitely right at the moment. The pickups are suprisingly great sounding and I was happy with that. However, I have since gotten an LP Standard and sold the Turser. I would say that they are worth the money if you are interested in a decent player and are on a tight budget. I would also check out the Agilie LP knock-offs too.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Ah right.
      Thanks guys.
      Im in the same boat - want an LP, have no money for one.
      So basically these Jay Tursers are ok if they're set up properly?...
      This is the guitar if you want to see it

Jay Turser Les Paul

Ill keep my eye out for an Agile too.

Thanks again

Jamesy

Comment

I have a Jay Turser JT-230, a double cutaway set-neck with maple fingerboard (how often do you see set neck w/maple? that's why I got it!).
        http://www.jayturser.com/images/popup/jt230-popup.jpg.
        It plays very well, quality is very good. Pickups sound great. I tweaked the truss rod a little (tightened for less bow, lower action) (almost have to do that on any guitar nowadays). I also filed the nut slots deeper on about 3 of the strings using a 'needle file' to get the strings closer down to the fingerboard for easier action (again, most low to middle market/mass produced guitars seem to default in having the nut slots a little higher than you need).

The set-neck joint on mine looks same as on the Turser LP in the auction.

Overall, I'm very happy with it, especially for the $175USD I paid.

So, like the others mention, if you can tweak in the setup and such, I'd say the Les Paul one would be pretty good for your needs.

Oh, I agree with you on the purple burst...but you gotta get rid of those gold knobs!

Comment

Hehe yeah black speed knobs would be straight on [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Im tempted. I dunno. I mean I dont want to pass this one up in case one Im holding out for turns out to be shit. Or not a set neck....
          Decisions, decisions.

Jamesy

Comment

The Agile LPs are really nice for the $. I haven't gone a day without playing my 12 string Agile LP since I bought it. They have the AL-3000 which is their top of the line LP copies for a really decent price right now.

Comment

Working...
            X