1959 Silvertone by Danelectro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Silvertone by Danelectro

I was curious if anyone else owns an original 1950s, or early 60s Silvertone by Danelectro? I belive the one I own is a 1959 or 1960. I can't tell them apart from pics I've seen. Here's mine. I have only this one pic right now.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rif...&.dnm=ff07.jpg

My Dad bought this guitar new from a Sears catalog when he was about 15 yrs old. He gave it to me about 5 years ago. Except for the paint and knobs, this guitar is all original. The chrome "lipstick" pickup is worth $100 by itself to collectors so I've been told? I still play it through my clean channel with chorus and a bit of delay and it has a very deep, sweet tone. The pup can't handle much distortion at all. Since I don't like to alternate tune my other guitars, I use the dani for learning songs from cd's that aren't in standard tuning. The guitar actually stays in tune quite well surprisingly. I could never part with it since it was my Dad's. I came home from work once and a friend who was staying with me at the time, let another friend of his play it without my permission! He was carrying it around by the top of the neck and I flipped out and just about punched the guy!

Re: 1959 Silvertone by Danelectro

Most (not all) bodies are masonite (kind of like clipboard material) with a pine perimeter and innerframe. The Naugahyde on the sides used to cover the chattered look left by the cutters on the sides. It was easier to paint the smooth Masonite and cover the edge rather than smooth it out. The goal was definately quantity driven.

Comment

i love those little things, they've got so much character. i recorded a solo on an old silvertone (not sure of the model) and i'm sure it had the original strings on it. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] dirty as all hell, but so much fun; just the way rock should be!

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I have had many of them, in most all of the shapes and configurations. I used to be able to find a few each spring/summer at yard sales. I usually paid $25 for them, or $50 if they had an amp in case. They would resell at shows for around $300 ($400-450 with an amp in case) until the Danelectro reissues came out, then the values were knocked down to around $150-200 (around $250-$300 with an amp in case) and one pickup models became really hard to sell. On the bright side, the Danelectro reissues have ceased production and are starting to gain some interest and the prices of old models are starting to firm up. However, as a player I prefer the reissues as they were all full scale and had better necks than the originals. It will be interesting to see what the market decides these things are worth.

Comment

More than likely it's a 1958 model 1300. It was either originally bronze or black. Pickguard should be clear. Take a peak under the neck on the neck heel, or remove the rear cover plate. You should find a 4-7 ink stamped serial # indicating exactly what year. Last digit will probaly be an "8", signifying a 1958 model. As far as the pickup being worth $100.00. Those days came and went, although, that "could" change. A refinished model like yours is in reality, not worth a whole lot. Seeing it was your Dad's guitar, selling it may not come into play for you. "If" you decided to sell, IMHO it's current value would be $125.00 give or take. Here's a pic of my 1958 model 1305.

Comment

I don't know if you remember it, but here is a really early '56 I sold on ebay back in 2000. It breaks my heart to think back and remember what I sold it for (the reissues really hurt the market at the point).

Comment

The pickguard was clear originally, my Dad repainted the entire guitar in the 70's even covering up the name on the headstock. The wiring access cover on the back is round. Most I belive were not.

Comment

Cool pics guys, its hard to find pics of these on the internet. I'll check for the serial # when I get home. I once saw an exact replica reissue of my guitar at South Austin Music. Austin, Texas. Single pup, lighter blue and clear pickguard. It was heavier and had a better neck. Don't remember what wood was used.

Comment

Working...
                X