It's good to have non-expensive tastes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's good to have non-expensive tastes

I played my next guitar today, something I never in a million years would've thought that I liked-A PRS Santana SE. Had a comfortable body, nice big neck, really light for jumping and thrashing around with, low-profile knobs that my hand doesn't hit, and it was even my favourite colour! All I would do is replace the bridge pickup-it has a nice swing but doesn't follow thru too well(not enough sustain). Oh yeah, the price tag is pretty good too...do any of you guys like these?

Re: It\'s good to have non-expensive tastes

I haven't played those, but I have a Hamer Stellar ST-1, which is similar but with a stop tailpiece (I assume the Santana SE has a Wilkinson?). Pretty dang nice Korean-made guitar; I'm sure it's nothing compared to a "real" PRS, but on its own terms, a good looking, sounding and playing guitar. Weak bridge pickup too (Duncan Designeds) but usable with an SD-1 in front. Since the SEs are Korean-made I imagine the two are pretty similar. BTW, is the SE setneck or bolt on? The ST-1 is set-neck, but the neck joint's not the best for reaching the 24th fret. Still, it plays great other than that.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

You can get the SE with a vintage style trem or with a wraparound tailpiece, sorta like on old Les Paul Juniors and such (I was playing the ones with the wraparound tailpiece). It's got a set neck too...the heel is pretty big, but I did't find it to get in the way any when I played. I just loved the way everything was laid out, and the curves of the body-it was a really comfortable guitar. It's funny though, I play the higher-end PRS guitars and I hate them.

Comment

I tried the Tremonti SE at a store, and I was really shocked how light it was...it really kind of freaked me out. But, I agree, they seem to kick butt for what they are.

Brian

Comment

I've never played one of those, but they look pretty cool, and I've heard very good things about them. I like the look of the older ones better without the pickguard, though. The pickguards just look gay on the new ones, IMO.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

From what I have read and heard "on the street" those PRS imports are supposed to have major "bang for the buck" appeal. I haven't run across any in person, but was checking out prices for the Santana not too long ago. They turn up used pretty cheap too, so you may get a good bargain on one if you look long enough.

Comment

The pickguard shape really is awful. Reminds me of a Line 6 Variax. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I do like the look of the non-pickguard Santana SEs though. It would be great for jumping around with... just look at Dave and his synchronized stage jumping antics from Sum 41. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I played one, didn't do a whole lot for me, but if you dig em, that's all that matters. I think the 'PRS' name doesn't really mean anything, and you'd probably get a better deal in a similar model by Samick if you are really looking to stretch your guitar dollar.

Pete

Comment

I didn't really mind the pickguard when I played it today, but I bet it could be taken off without much incidence-it doesn't seem to be covering anything up. I'll look at them used, but I really want to get a Vetta first...

Comment

I'm seriously looking at a Tremonti SE. I want a Les Paul, but don't think I'll ever get one in this lifetime. I've been down the Epiphone road and it was a bumpy mutha. I have played the Santana SE's and loved em. A buddy of mine had one and he put a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge. I can't think of any other way to describe the sound other than awsome. I was set on getting a Santana SE until the Tremonti SE came out. I like the singlecut body. I just wish I knew how light it is. What would you guys compare the weight too?

Comment

The Tremonti and Santana SE's are both decent little rigs for the bucks. Swap the pickups and maybe the tuners, and you are good to go.

Comment

Agile.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                          you'd probably get a better deal in a similar model by Samick if you are really looking to stretch your guitar dollar.

Pete
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The newer Samicks look awesome!
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I installed a 500t and 498r in a santana se mahogony body set neck guitar and it sounded very thick and tight.This one was a stop tail version one of the old ones.Nice guitar.Also replaced the plastic nut with a bone nut.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

why not a cort?

pretty good bang for the buck

Comment

Working...
                              X