Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here seen that crazy 5 string Schecter guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has anyone here seen that crazy 5 string Schecter guitar?

Don't worry, I'm not really going to burn it. I want to see how it is for a week or two, but I'll probably sell it pretty quick. I have absolutely no use for it. I just read all that schecter bashing and got caught up in the heat of the moment.
    I always thought of Schecter kind of like Samick, pretty high quality guitars, but never had any feeling for them.
    They seem well made and engineered. The only other one I ever considered buying was a C1 XXX or something like that, was all black with those nekkid lady trucker girls for inlays. Real Classy!

This one has grover tuners and is string through with nice knurled chrome dome knobs. Not real cheaply done.
    JC, if you're serious, I'll PM you once I'm done playing with it.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

so what's stopping anyone from tuning to standard, or an Open tuning, and just having at it? You could play Stones tunes without taking the low E off your Tele [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Keith Richards plays 5 string sometimes..do not recall the tuning's (yes Ron, that was deliberate usage just to aggravate you .) [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, they've come a long long way from this 83 / 84 Strathead...

I mean, why play this when you could have a 5 string [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

BTW - this guitar is all Japanese parts according to Tom Anderson...

Steve E

Comment

Okay... all it's good for is nu-metal. Like violins and cellos, right? They're tuned in fifths. For that matter, that's what Robert Fripp does as well (CGDAEG, low to high). The idea isn't from Wes Borland (who's actually a much better guitarist than anyone gives him credit for), it's from classical music. Just because you or a 16 year old that's been playing for all of 4 months can't use it properly doesn't mean it's useless.

442w30: Did I read right that you bought this for a little over $100? Or was that the amount of money in your Paypal account? Either way, let me know if you decide to sell it. A long scale guitar sounds even more useful than a seven string right now.

*EDIT*
            speed monkey: I'd very quickly take the five string over that thing. For one, it's ugly. For another, full-sized strat bodies hate me. For another, it's ugly.

IIRC, early Schecters were assembled in the US from parts made overseas. Someone correct me on this one if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
              speed monkey: I'd very quickly take the five string over that thing. For one, it's ugly. For another, full-sized strat bodies hate me. For another, it's ugly.

IIRC, early Schecters were assembled in the US from parts made overseas. Someone correct me on this one if I'm wrong.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey B.M. -

Uh, if thats ugly, and you would rather have the 5 string Schecter, I'm guessing that you are a proud owner of a Warrior - which is unquestionably the dumbest looking meathead guitar ever built...Ever... [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

As far as the Schecter parts origin / construction thing - you're correct...I said that this was Japanese parts - not assembled in Japan. The guy who owns had it on evilbay for $1800 claiming that Tom Anderson had built it while at Schecter....T.A. himself checked it out and said this guitar was built after he left and assmbled from Japanese parts.

5th's are cool - I've got a Bouzouki, a Cittern, and a Tar that are all tuned in 5ths, and are all a gas to play.

Steve E

Comment

Hell, just get a regular guitar and only put 4 strings on it like Max Cavalera. When Sepultura first came out and were more like death metal, Max never used the two high strings anyway and then eventually just took them off. The stuff he's doing now with Soulfly is a little closer to nu-metal, but that guy is a rhythm monster with only 4 strings! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And those bald idiots from that gay band POTUSA only had two or three strings on their instruments. The guitar player used 2 bass strings, and the bass player had 3 guitar strings. They said all you needed was 5 notes to make and chord and together they made a chord. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

speed monkey: I hate Warriors. ALMOST as much as I hate strat bodies. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yes, I think that's ugly. I don't like cherry burst finishes, I don't like bound strat bodies, I don't like PICKGUARDS on a one-hum guitar... it's just not that appealing and I'd take the Schecter in a split second.

Also, I wasn't questioning you on the Schecter parts thing. I couldn't remember what their deal was back then.

toejam: They stole it from Mark Sandman, from the band Morphine. He played a two-string bass with slide.

All of these odd numbered guitars force you to completely change the way you approach the instrument. Your old and tired riffs sound completely different, or maybe you have to play them in a different way. Tuning to standard and rocking on on an A chord is boring. You're boring me, Zoidberg. I'm gonna go watch TV.

Comment

Originally posted by GiantBaba:
                    Schecter Celloblaster, I believe is the name. Designed and patented by Maestro Alex Gregory, the same guy who holds the patent on 7-string guitars. The Celloblaster is tuned differently, as I recall.

http://www.pentasystem.com/founders.html
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Maestro Alex Gregory! Now THAT guy's a piece of work... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I had a heated arguement with him once regarding his "Maestro" status. Personally, I don't think the playing is very good and the songs are just aweful. Sort of like a really really really bad version of Uli Jon Roth Beyond the Astral Sky but without the great guitar playing. BTW.... I bought the Celloblaster from Dave. I wanted one when they first came out but I was so heavy into 7 string at the time I figured I had enough bottom end. They are pretty scarce now so I figured I would pick this one up before they are officially extinct. I was thinking that if I write an entire song with it and the celloblaster becomes extinct I will be a "Maestro" too because nobody will be able to play the song on a normal 6 or 7 string guitar thus making me a "Maestro". [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X