Whats with the Ibanez JEM's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats with the Ibanez JEM's?

Ok, I keep hearing about how great these guitars are. Do they really live up to the hype? Are they really that great?

Re: Whats with the Ibanez JEM\'s?

I think it's just selling Steve's name. The wood isn't expensive. The inlay is unnecessarily flashy. The pick-up? Haven't heard it though. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

They do have some good points, including:

1. very thin/flat necks
      2. smart output jack that allows playing while sitting on a couch without needing a 90 degree-angle cord, or playing while standing while naturally directing your cord up through your strap
      3. nicely contoured neck heel

They also look pretty cool and unique, with the monkey grip body cut-out, lion's claw (or whatever they call that) route behind the bridge, vine inlays (and other variations over the years), and some unique finishes.

I've heard many people compliment Ibanez' version of the Floyd Rose and their choice of DiMarzio pickups.

Downsides for me are woods used (basswood bodies, I believe, and rosewood fretboards), the front-route pickguard layout, and too many pickups.

Overall, I think they've proven their worth over time as quality instruments.

Comment

they're nice guitars if a little overpriced...i've owned a few...you'd have to play one to see if it's right for you tho...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart:
          they're nice guitars if a little overpriced...i've owned a few...you'd have to play one to see if it's right for you tho...d.m.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm with you Bro, I like them just can't afford to have them around.

quiksilver,

Jem has three choices for fretboard, rosewood, maple, and ebony. But Ibanez has phase out the ebony fretboard either this year or last year.

Fong

Comment

Trust me...believe the hype. I have wanted the DNA Y2K Jem since it came out in 2000. I wanted to try a Jem before I bought one. And, a local store had a custom model white Jem in stock. So, I tried it to see if I would like it. I really have to say it was way better than any Jackson that I had ever owned. Sorry, but it's true. My playing style is just at "home" on a Jem. I just bought a DNA and got it last week...check it out!

Oh yeah, and the DiMarzio Breeds on the DNA are a little more my style than the Evo's on most model Jems.
            Brian

Comment

Yeah, those are rad. Vai's own blood was used in the red paint, hence the "DNA" moniker.

Comment

The JEMS are very nice guitars. They are definitely not just RGs with fancy finishes and Dimarzios. The necks seem different and the JEMs just 'sing' a bit more, in my experience. Could be that the factory is a bit more discriminating about the pieces of wood that go into the JEMs, as well as working harder on the fit and finish.

Jacksons suit my style more, and I prefer Jackson necks, but that's not a knock on the JEMs.

Comment

Yeah, the JEM necks are a tiny bit bigger than the Wizard necks on the RG models. I've always thought that the JEM was a great guitar and I wanted one for so long. But, when I played one I knew I would never get one. They just don't feel right to me. It is unfortunate, because I was pretty disappointed. I wanted one pretty badly.

By the way, I believe that the JEM7VWH has an alder body, not basswood like a lot of the other JEM models.

Comment

Sorry...but I owned a JEM FP and there is absolutely no way I can recommend them. The one I bought was over $1700, thats insane when you figure what you get.

1. Basswood body....basswood is about as cheap a wood as you can get. It does have an appealing sound, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on a basswood guitar. I feel the same way about Andersons, Carvins..and any other basswood guitar.

2. *Plastic* inlays. With the newer CNC machines..that inlay is stupid cheap and easy to do. At least give me something better than plastic for the inlay material. Again...where is my $1700 going?

3. Bolt on neck. Again..this isn't a bad thing..but it does bring into question the value issue.

4. Poor hardware. The plating on my guitar's hardware was awful. It started to bubble and flake in no time...and I was told by Ibanez that the plated parts were not covered under the warranty. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Bottom line....these are sub $1000 guitars that they sell for close to $2000.

Comment

Carvin doesn`t use Basswood for their bodies, the base wood is Alder, they don`t even offer Basswood. Carvins are great guitars for the money, but they get a bad rap for no damn good reason. JaCK.

Comment

Wow! That is a wild guitar! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I love the monkey grip on the JEM and the inlays cannot be "unesessarily flashy" enough for me.

--Robin

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                          Carvin doesn`t use Basswood for their bodies, the base wood is Alder, they don`t even offer Basswood. Carvins are great guitars for the money, but they get a bad rap for no damn good reason. JaCK.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree and have no idea why.I like them enough to own four them.
                          Mike
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

I thought the early Holdsworth models had Basswood bodies. I know that it is one of his favorite tonewoods. FWIW...I happen to like Carvin. Jack(slayer) brought his over and I was impressed by it.

Back to the issue...here is what your $1700+ dollars gets you with a JEM...

Basswood body
                            Maple Neck
                            Rosewood fretboard
                            Dimarzio pups
                            *licensed* Floyd
                            plastic inlays
                            bolt on construction
                            questionable hardware plating
                            completely made by machines

Sorry guys...but that just doesn't make any sense to me. You are basicly paying $1700+ for a fancy paint job and the prestige of owning a guitar that is played by a huge guitar hero. I can think of *countless* guitars that I would buy before a JEM.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar allan poe:

1. Basswood body....basswood is about as cheap a wood as you can get.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dude,

For your info, Basswood is more expensive than both Alder and Poplar. Kindly check the price.
                              Price of wood

Fong

Comment

Working...
                              X