vintage Dean Z help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage Dean Z help

ok i found a 1980 Dean Z. serial# first 2 digits 80. huge headstock, rounded D neck profile. boomerang tail piece is gold all other hardware is chrome, grovers, TOM? pickups are double creme (NOT ZEBRA) dimarzios, pots seem to be changed, knobs are like 1/4" inch off the face of the guitar, so im assuming the pot shafts are longer than stock or the knobs just dont fit correctly. flame maple top, cherry burst binding neck & body. alot of finish checking & the neck for an old Dean seems pretty stable. whats the going rate for sometihng like this, he asking $1900. thanks

Re: vintage Dean Z help

Your best guesstimates are gonna come from Greg Crowe or Dana (guitarforceone).

However, I will tell you that it's a Standard series (binding and flamed top are the indicators), and the standard series usually brings more than the Dean Flame series (which has no binding and no flame...go figure.)

Anyway, $1900 sounds very steep. Vintage Deans usually aren't bringing that much these days. Just ask the guys on the Dean forum who have been trying to sell their old Deans. I don't think the market is there like it is for the old San Dimas Charvels.

If you can get it for a lot less, you won't be disappointed. Old Deans kick ass.

By the way...is this the one at Rumble Seat Music?

Comment

I think it's high as well. I'm not as well 'in the know' as Dana or Greg. Some finishes like white are commanding high prices..but I've seen vintage Deans going for under a grand on Ebay by sellers with a BIN and do not know what the value of their guitar, sometimes in the 600-700's. Crankdaddy is right about the Standards too and I think these are typically in the 1100-1300 range depending on color.

Comment

yep its at rumble seat...i was up there for my sisters graduation this weekend.

Thanks for the info I was thinking $1000 or so, Greg the market does seem soft right now for Deans. Ive been watching Ebay myself, but since Dean necks have a tendency to get funky i would prefer to buy one i can actually see/play in person.

Comment

I have a few Flame Series Deans that I would be willing to sell. They would be in the range of $600-$750. These would be late 70's early 80's models with the big headstock. Being Flame series, they don't have body binding or maple tops. Great players, though. I have Z's and an ML for sale. Send me a pm if you're interested.
          Dana <~~~
          '85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Pickups are not original, should be zebra DiMarzio Super D's. With the finish checking I'd guestimate the guitar is worth somewhere around $800. More with the original pickups, case and with the finish in decent shape.

Vintage Dean's don't seem to be bringing what they were 6-12 months ago.

Comment

I'm really going back and forth about selling these, so I won't mind if they don't sell. I'm also getting rid of some of my imports, so if I can sell enough of those, I may keep all my vintage Deans. I busted my butt to get some, and now the market is in the tank. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
              Dana <~~~
              '85 Rhoads Custom
              '86 SD Str*t
              '86 Model 4 (5)
              '87 Model 1
              '87 Model 6
              '88 Model 3DR
              '90 650 XL
              '94 KE-3
              '97 DR Amberburst
              '97 Dinky BOFlames
              '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
                ok i found a 1980 Dean Z. serial# first 2 digits 80. huge headstock, rounded D neck profile. boomerang tail piece is gold all other hardware is chrome, grovers, TOM? pickups are double creme (NOT ZEBRA) dimarzios, pots seem to be changed, knobs are like 1/4" inch off the face of the guitar, so im assuming the pot shafts are longer than stock or the knobs just dont fit correctly. flame maple top, cherry burst binding neck & body. alot of finish checking & the neck for an old Dean seems pretty stable. whats the going rate for sometihng like this, he asking $1900. thanks
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Knock about $900. off if it has a decent flametop.
                If not, probally sounds like it would be worth about $850. to $900. in it's current condition. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                Hey Dana!, good luck in selling my ex-Deans!
                Do do miss them!,the`80 Z is a great guitar, but I need to sell some gear also, too much CC debt! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Dana thanks I will keep it in mind, tho im looking for flame tops with binding.

the top on that Z is very very nice, tight grained & a tight flame pattern almost PRS quality.

Comment

DUDE then keep the vintage ones, ive regretted selling every old bcrich except the 10string bich. i just couldnt play it neck was huge, anyway most of the older collectable Dean, Hamer & Rich stuff is getting real hard to find in unmollested condition. added kahlers & floyds & all sorts of stupid added routes & holes. so now i wont sell any of the vintage ones. & the market will go back up.

Comment

Working...
                    X