made it myself..................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• made it myself..................

built that in my shop with my apprentice eric dicarlo as my personal gigging axe.It is as follows...... NECK: one piece black walnut with a stew mac hot rod truss rod, gibson firebird headstock, two graphite rods to reinforce the neck (so it will stay true through the severe climate changes up here) birdseye maple fretboard,and banjo tuners(now changed to klusons). the neck runs thru the body right up to the trem cavity! (talk about a long neck tenon.lol) it is 24 fret with the 25-1/2 scale length,a flat custom radius also.Birdseye maple truss rod cover. BODY; 1 piece 40 year old hondurean mahogany, 2 piece Flamed Poplar top (we lucked out and got killer slabs of flamed poplar that was cut locally and stored to air dry 20 years!It was carved like a santana model and a 1959 gibson les paul standard with a flat deck, the original body shape was from a tracing of my 59 gibson les paul special My baby was finshed in a custom dye(that will fade as will an old burst) finished in nitro. it has Seymour Duncan Jazz zebra in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan antiquity zebra bridge pickup, topped off with a Wilkinson trem. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: made it myself..................

Looks very nice. Especially the top.

Comment

That poplar top is incredible! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
        That poplar top is incredible! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, it is! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Very sweet guitar, indeed! Love the Firebird headstock, too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

here are some more pics, remember i built this 3 years ago and it's been rode hard!LOL [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Looks great, very nice job! Oh, and it's nice to know that someone still knows how to read a vernier caliper... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

thanks guys, yeah i apprenticed the old school way back in the day. been building on and off for the last 30 years. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

THe top is gorgeous, and I dig the maple board-has a real nice gold tone to it. The firbird headstock is a nice twist-definitely catches the eye. Great job!

Comment

That's fucking delicious!!! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Man, the poplar top is gorgeous, and imo really suits the headstock. Btw, how does the fretboard sound? I have yet to see maple like that.

Really, really good work! Congrats to ya! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

with the long neck tenon it sustains fantastic, it's got a smack of brightness due to the maple fretboard that makes harmonics just scream! the action is incredibly low with no buzzes or fretouts while bending strings, the trem stays in tune due to the straight string pull!.................

Comment

That is one nice looking guitar. I had to re-read your post to see what scale length it was. It just looks longer than 25 1/2. Very nice!
                      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 1959burst:
                        with the long neck tenon it sustains fantastic,
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's apparently Ed Roman's favorite type of neck construction. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Out of curiosity, if you were to build me a guitar like that with similar specs, how much do you think you'd charge for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 1959burst:
                          with the long neck tenon it sustains fantastic,
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's apparently Ed Roman's favorite type of neck construction. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Out of curiosity, if you were to build me a guitar like that with similar specs, how much do you think you'd charge for it?
                          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">this took 5 months to build(evenings after my repair shop closed) using mostly hand tools from raw wood. i build only a few guitars a year.(i'm back ordered till next year on customer guitars.) let's put it this way, you could get a custom shop/one off jackson for less dough!
                          [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

SWEET...that is awesome.

Comment

That's just beautiful! I am in complete awe of guys like yourself, who have the ability to create something like that from the raw wood.
                              I get nervous even swapping bolt-on necks around! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X