Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single-coil sized pickups? Any advice? Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single-coil sized pickups? Any advice? Recommendations?

I'm looking to replace the pickups in a recently acquired '89 Hamer Chaparral. The guitar has a Mahogany body, 25.5" scale, bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fretboard and a floyd rose trem, and I just love the feel and playability, but the pickups need help... I've got a Trembucker I'm going to throw in the bridge position, but I'm trying to decide what to put in the single-coil spaces in the neck and middle positions to compliment it. A hot single-coil or a humbucker in single-coil format would work... Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Re: Single-coil sized pickups? Any advice? Recommendations?

One of my favorite single coil sized humbuckers is the Cool Rails. I ordered one for my Californian project a while back (which will be matched up with a Distortion.) The Hot Rails is another favorite. The Hot Rails offers some of the best shred metal leads in a neck pickup. But the rhyhms can be a little muddy if you don't eq just right. The Cool Rails is more of a vintage humbucker type and would match up quite well with a Trembucker I think. The Vintage Rails is also one I really like. They offer some really good classic Strat like twang. Plus they are noiseless due to the twin blade design.

As far as true single coils go, I got a Quarter Pounder because it is hot enough to match well with higher output humbuckers. Of course I got rid of the guitar before the pickup came in so now it's just sitting around with nowhere to go. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Evans............

Comment

Hot Rails is killer. So is the JB jr and the Lil Screamin Demon. I also like the Dimarzio HS-3 but it doesn't balance all that well with a hum in the bridge.

Comment

DiMarzio Fast Track 1 for the neck.

Comment

As far as SC-size humbuckers go, I have one guitar set up with a Hot Rail in the neck and Cool Rail in the middle. Love it.

Also have another that has a Little 59 in the neck and a Duckbucker in the middle. Very versatile.

Comment

FYI for anyone who doesn't already know: the Duckbuckers and Vintage Rails are identical except for the cosmetics. Great pickups indeed!

Comment

I just popped a Duncan Quarter Pound Strat pickup into my Charvel Legend and it sounds great. This is a very hot single coil It keeps up no problem with the Hot Rails humbucker I put in the bridge.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...rPoundforStrat
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Excellent suggestions everyone, and thank you! I'm going to think about it for a week or so - the big question is do I want to stay true to the character of the guitar and put a hot single-coil in the neck, or go for a humbucker tone there...

Comment

If you decide on a true single coil but still want it hotter than a vintage pickup, I have an extra Quarter Pounder new in the box, never opened. Let me know if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                    X