PRS Feelings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS Feelings

Hey, it's more than a name - it's a way of life! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    What has 9 arms and 10 legs? Def Leppard

Comment

I have a CE24 and it is amazing. Like some have said here, it has incredible tone and is a great player. I prefer the CE series to the Customs or Standards, mainly because of the "unfinished" necks on the CE's. Stay away from the 5 way rotary, it's a pain in the ass.
      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

mmm...well opeth makes good use of the prs' as most of you know, but i think they also run emgs also.

Comment

I never really cared for them personally. I've played a few but never owned one. None of them "spoke" to me. I much prefer Hamers.

Comment

I have a 2002 Custom 24 with the stock HFS bridge and Vintage Bass neck pick-ups. The HFS is ceramic and the Vintage Bass is alnico. It has the 5-position rotary selector. I love the sound of the pick-ups in all positions. With the right amp, you can dial in several types of metal sounds. The clean sounds I got with the coil tap are what first attracted me to the guitar. The pick-up output does drop somewhat when in the coil tap modes. It has the wide-thin neck and the smaller neck heel that doesn't hinder access to the upper frets. The non-recessed trem returns in tune every time. The build quality and the materials used in the guitar are all first rate. The guitar is very versatile and plays great. Overall, I love the guitar. JMO.

Comment

I have a CE24, plays and sounds amazing. It is so harmonically rich it is just philthy, just drips with overtones. Really fat and ballsy. An outstanding instrument. It goes out of tune about once a year, it's built so well.

Shredders shy away from them though, cuz:

the radius is 10" (shred guitars usually are at least 12", Ibanez can be up to 25")

and the frets are medium, and not the shredder approved jumbo.

the neck is not as wide as thin as most shred axes, even the "wide/thin" option is thicker and narrower than a Soloist.

those 3 things really throw most shredders. Its not the quality or the sound, anyone would love those.

I switch from my Soloist to the PRS back and forth all the time, and you get used to it though. A lot of it is in your head, it really does't affect your playing negatively at all, except for the jumbo frets, which can clean up your playing. Advanced players with great pick control ultimately can play on any guitar, and a lot of them eventually move away from jumbos, because they don't need them for accuracy anymore and benefit in other ways from slightly smaller frets. That ain't me, but it's something to think about depending on your level.

Comment

I can play cleanly on any fret size. I could not fault the build at all on this. The 5 way rotary PISSED ME OFF, Why not a 5 way switch? That knob just annoyed me.

it was a wide thin neck, with trem, 24 frets, dual cut away, it was older (dot inlays) at least I think that means older, stock pickups were out of it, it had duncans (not all of them I played, the one I liked the most) I don't know if it had a 10 top, but it looked fucking awesome all the way around.

Comment

You can easily replace that 5 way crap rotary switch with a 3 way toggle and a push pull tone pot. That is an option from PRS. My Standard 22 has it.

Comment

I have owned and gotten rid of three PRS. Buy a Dean USA Hardtail, much nicer guitar IMHO.

Shawn
                    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Avenged:
                      mmm...well opeth makes good use of the prs' as most of you know, but i think they also run emgs also.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope. From what I remember reading, Peter uses the stock pickups and Mikael uses Duncans.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mikael uses the JB/Jazz combo.
                        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

ah, i stand corrected [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

gracias guys! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn:
                            I have owned and gotten rid of three PRS. Buy a Dean USA Hardtail, much nicer guitar IMHO.

Shawn
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have ahd 4 PRS but I always want one. They lack a little mojo usually but that being said they are one of the higest quality guitars and consitent compared to teh volume. Guys will site Thorn, Driskill, Baker, McNaught etc... and PRS can still hang with them which is impressive with the volume they gp through and give them credit they can really stain wood
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

BTW Shawn I am not comparing Dean to PRS hear I am just saying they are a quality instrument.

A Dealer by me which is a great Shop has some very nice Dean USA models and they push them over the PRS all day which they also carry... They push the R8 and R9's the most though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I have had 4 including this one. They are fantastic all all around guitars. Clean or distorted, they sound and play great. I would advise against changing the pickups. PRS does a fair amount of research regarding matching specific pickups to specific guitars. I have never heard or played a PRS that sounded better with replacement pickups in it. Some models sound better with the vintage bass and the HFS and some sound better with the Dragon II's. I also agree that the Ed Roman "Heel from Hell" theory is total horse crap. I had early models and late models and they all feel the same in the upper registers. I read that PRS increased the heel size to add mass to the neck joint and eliminate any possible "dead spots" that might occur in the upper registers. If mine had the wide/thin neck I would probably keep it although I am hoping that I can turn it into a Vetta or an HD147.

Comment

Working...
                                X