PRS Feelings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS Feelings

i like prs's without the huge heel. they are well made/sounding guitars. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually, the whole heel thing was an increase of only 1/4" . Roman's pics are of a custom 22. Deceptive, but consider the source. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
      What has 9 arms and 10 legs? Def Leppard

Comment

I've had 2: a late 80s Standard and the '95 Custom 24 that I have now. The Standard wasn't that great - the pups sounded weak & muddy, the paintwork wasn't that great (though the pearlescent white was a very very cool color), the neck wasn't that great, and the trem was mounted on woodscrews rather than posts which seemed (to me) to make the tuning less than stable. The Custom OTOH is a monster player. 1/2 ain't that great but the earlier one was pre-CNC when they were still 100% handmade and varied quite a bit more from one to the next.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

" BTW Shawn I am not comparing Dean to PRS hear I am just saying they are a quality instrument."

No prob Tets, I dont work for Dean. I think PRS are wonderful instruments, and I am sure I will own another again when the right one comes along. It just seems to me , from instrument to instrument, the Deans are just outstanding(soundwise), whereas I can pick up a PRS, and it could go either way.

Its like comparing Mercedes to BMW essentially. ( I like Mercedes BTW. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Exactly... I was just trying to clarify that I wasn't trying to argue that I think Dean is inferior or anything like that. I Really like Dean even the imports are great for the $$$ IMO.

BTW you are right Mercedes is better no question [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Absolutely Mercedes. My wife was in a head on about a year ago while driving her E320. The crash was so bad that the trunk area was compressed from the impact. The passenger compartment was not compromised one inch.

She walked away with airbag rash and a headache.

Needless to say, we got another one. Myself, I am a Caddilac man. I am the only person under 40, not listening to rap music, driving a Caddy in the whole state.

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

i've got a Mccarty, i'm quite fond of but for the
                money i'd spend on one now , i've moved on to Thorn guitars better value i think

my 2

http://img18.photobucket.com/albums/...RS/021-231.jpg {Completed}

http://img18.photobucket.com/albums/v53/MOJO1/048_9.jpg {still in the works }

everything hand selected and designed and chosen by myself, woods, stain colors, theme , pickups.. the works...
                the one with the shark f-hole is going to have custom designed swimming sharks fretboard markers

and both were less then PRS with 10 top

Comment

Seriously your thorn were less than the PRS? You cna get a used PRS for 1500-2000 all day long with a tne top Thorns are over $2000 I always see them at about $3000 I thought.... Driskill now those make me cry theya re soooooooo goood looking

Comment

BTW those are beautiful Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo:
                      Seriously your thorn were less than the PRS? You cna get a used PRS for 1500-2000 all day long with a tne top Thorns are over $2000 I always see them at about $3000 I thought.... Driskill now those make me cry theya re soooooooo goood looking
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">$2600 for the first

figure mahogany back and neck,5A arched quilt top, "flamed" brazilian rosewood fingerboard (Paua/mop shell sun inlays,Paua shell neck and headstock purfling and 2 Paua shell body purflings top and side where it meets the mahogany) semi hollow body, rio grande pickups with brazilian rosewood mounting rings..
                      finished to simulate that the top has caught Fire

$2300 for the second

alder back, combination flat Quilt/Eye top (it actually has featured of both )3/4 hollow body
                      with custom designed f-hole, birdseye neck and fingerboard , all the same Paua shell purfling.. 2 Harmonic Design Z90 pickups and custom designed
                      swimming Sharks inlays similiar to these orcas

http://www.thornguitars.com/master12.htm

finish ocean blueburst
                      this is actually a better shot of what the finish looks like in person

http://img18.photobucket.com/albums/...1/e3ad4ce5.jpg

his prices have increased alittle since i ordered but not that much

not bad for what surpasses a PRS Private Stock instrument ( which would have cost 3x as much ).. like i said, consider that i picked out everything for both of them myself.. woods and all. i really don't think the prices are outragous by comparision to a "brand new" regular production PRS..

plus Ron is one of the nicest guy you'll ever meet..

PS: i'd love to have a Driskill myself..maybe someday

oh and check out Heatley Guitars as well.. killer stuff!! an jus about any shape you want

[ June 18, 2004, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: 4koa ]

Comment

Wow thanks for setting me clear on that I really thought they were demanding more $$$$ good to know I might have to check one out now

Comment

Used market on PRS guitars is great for buyers right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo:
                            Wow thanks for setting me clear on that I really thought they were demanding more $$$$ good to know I might have to check one out now
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">it really depends how fancy "crazy" you get with custom inlays and super fancy harder to obtain woods and what not.. all the Paua purfling and sun inlays comes include with the base price..( you can get it without it if you like and i'm pretty sure he'll deduct that off the cost of the guitar

my first one is pretty much a base Deluxe model
                            with a

5A quilt upgrade ($200)
                            Ribbon mahog back ($75)
                            " " neck ($45)
                            "flamed" Braz fingerboard (Freebie) Ron likes to throw something in usually [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

everything else is standard..

here's the forum if you'd like to see alot more examples..

both simple or super fancy..

*Beware* (may cause damage to one's credit cards)

check in particular "Vision and Vanity"

http://p213.ezboard.com/bthornnewsanddiscussionpage

Comment

I loved the way my '93 10 top played but the pickups were a little harsh. I wish I would
                              have just tried different pickups in it
                              before I sold it, but I'm not much of a tweaker.

Comment

Working...
                              X