ESP "The Mirage" A great Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP "The Mirage" A great Guitar

Guys, I hate to say it, but more and more I am starting to get over the whole "made in the usa" thing and giving some of these other guitar companies a shot.
    Most recently, I landed a late 80's "The mirage".
    It's basically a Soloist or Charvel 5 FX.
    I must say, it plays OUTSTANDING, and these no-name pickups are EMG 81 HOT-No bullshit!

I also had a KH-2 (kirk Omlette signature) come thru and the neck was just like a pointy head Charvel San Dimas!

And I had an Explorer (EXP model)last month also. All three of the ESP's share high quality craftsmanship, GREAT playability and common sence/practical features.

I used to dog the shit out of ESP but I just can't do it anymore cus they honestly have given me no reason to.

I love my Mirage as it has a narrow nut width not commonly found on Soloists. So, to me and my own personal preference for a narrower neck, it is the PERFECT Soloist. I am going to sell off my San Dimas Soloist and keep the Mirage as my new main player-It plays that good! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: ESP "The Mirage" A great Guitar

I have a Deluxe II and it's very nice to play. The neck is wonderful. My only problem with ESP is their fugly *original* guitar shape and shameless stealing. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I have an ESP V from Japan and it's my favorite guitar.. sounds, feels and great.. and I could care less if a company is unoriginal with shapes [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've always said that the late 80's and early 90's neck thru ESP's were hella good players... but nobody ever listens to me!! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by kickaxeguitars:

I love my Mirage as it has a narrow nut width not commonly found on Soloists. So, to me and my own personal preference for a narrower neck, it is the PERFECT Soloist.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm.. narrow nut.. got this feeling you like the neck on Kramers too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

Re: ESP &quot;The Mirage&quot; A great Guitar

I was the same way as you about doggin' them until I got an old Phoenix model. Now I have 4. I don't know about the newer ones but the older ones with the Jackson style headstock are really built well. Neckthru. 5 Piece necks. Great hardware. The stock pickups sound fantastic. Nice feel. Bash them all you want guys. I will take every one you guys pass up.

Comment

The Japanese can build some freakin' guitars. Nobody listens to me, either. I like modern (late '70s-present) MIJs more than most MIAs!

Comment

I have a late 80's Mirage Custom in the Graphitti graphic (like Michael Wilton's but on a white guitar). I've had it from new and it's great, but the white has yellowed a fair bit and the ESP 'Sinclair' floyd trem isn't the greatest....anyone know if an OFR will drop straight in?
                I put full EMGs in after a year or so, and it really is one of the best sounding guitars I have.
                The only build issue I have is that the body isn't faced so you can see the neck laminate through the graphic if you catch it at the right (or wrong!) angle.
                Cheers
                Ian
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Pics?

Comment

I played a "The Mirage Custom" at a local store a few years ago--even met the guy who bought it new back in the '80s. I think that there are a lot of variation in these due to options--this guy custom ordered his with EMGs and an original Floyd.

It was priced low and I almost bought it, but it was really heavy, not very resonant, and the frets had too much of a "square" profile for my tastes (which seems to be an ESP 'thing'--lots of 'em I've played are like that). I prefer the rounder fret finishing that Jackson uses, as compared to the ESP fretjobs, and that is my #1 way of evaluating a guitar.

Comment

i would love to have something like that Horizon, but with the Regular headstock, very nice. Jack.

Comment

I used to use Mirage ESP bodies with ESP or Warmoth custom necks.
                        They are great.
                        I still prefer Jackson Dinky bodies.

Comment

I had an M-1 Custom years ago, and regret selling it (along with several others). It was definately a sweet guitar. I'd buy another one if I could find one reasonably.

Comment

I have no problem with Japanese guitars, I have a few of the MIJ Charvels. The only problem I have is the prices they are charging.

Comment

I was the same way as you about doggin' them until I got an old Phoenix model. Now I have 4
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I seen one of those at a Garbage Center but they want like $800 for it. I thought it would make a great brother to my Mirage as they are the same ugly green color.(ugly in a cool way)

I just can't part with $800 right now.

Anyways, I have these weird pickups that look like the X2-N model fom Dimarzio. The bridge hum absolutley fukking screams! I usually do the Emg thing in all my guitars but I can't imagine why I would want to swap these out as they are killer.

The only weak hardware is the bunky-Floyd. What a PILE! Luckily I have an old Orignal Floyd from a Kramer mutt( I LOVE Kramers! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) and I'm gonna see if it will retro fit this guitar.

Another feature I noticed about these guitars is at some point in their later evolution, the Floyds became more Floyd-like and the bodies got a recessed route.(Which I hate [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] )

I know this happened no later then '90 as I seen an old add where you could win Adrian Smith's Mirage in May of '90 and it had the recess and Floydish looking Floyd.
                              However, that was the Custom model which had a Hum and 2 singles. I think mine is a Deluxe with the hum and slanted single.

I've been wanting this one for quite some time:

Mine is the same color green and basically the same guitar. Of course, mine doesn't have Betty Page gracefully adorning the body of mine either. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm gonna try a Floyd swap and I'll get back with ya on that.

BTW, Lets not forget that ESP built all of Kramer's stuff after 1986 so the Kramer Stagemaster is basically these same models but with a real Floyd.

Comment

Working...
                              X