X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SX 5-string fretless bass review

Ah-ha! I'm back, bitches!

*snaps out of it*

Ahem. Well, I got my birthday present, my preciousssssss if you will. A SX fretless 5-stringer fresh from scenic NEW JERSEY, or more precisely, Rondo Music. It arrived about 5 days after the order was processed, and there was a weekend in the middle of that, so I feel it got here in a fair amount of time. Shipped UPS (do I hear groans?) from NEW JERSEY, DAMMIT!! a lovely man in a brown shorts delivered the package to my door at about 1 o'clock CENTRAL STANDARD TIME, DAMMIT! Wanton swearing aside, I was beside myself as I opened the double boxes. And there, wrapped in a shroud of a strange paper-like substance, was my Bessie Lou, my dream come true, AKA the bass.

INITIAL FEELINGS:

Picking up the apx. 10 lb instrument, I immediately noticed a number of things that you could not see from the internet piccies; Firstly, a beautifully amber-stained neck, and a minty-fresh, spearmint, double the fun, MINT GREEN pickguard. Lovely. Triple sunburst finish, Rosewood 'board with 20 fretlines (I'm a pussy). 2x Jazz Bass singles. Rather expensive D'addario flatwounds included.

Wait. I'm listening to a CD while writing this, and Japan's "European Son" just came on. That was the song that made me realize I NEEDED to be a musician, and also, the song that solidified my love for Mick Karn's fretless bass work. One moment...

'K. PLUGGING IT IN:

Damn. This thing sounds GOOD. What the fluff? Mind you, I'm playing this, for now, thru a guitar amp. My trusty steed, a Peavey Studio Pro 112. I imagine this bass would sound transcendent through an Ampeg, Trace Elliot, Sunn, Eden, etc,. Instant- Karn, -Cure, -Glen Campling kinda sound. I'm no good at describing tone, but...Sounds nice to my ears. I'm mostly playing straight thru, sometimes I'll break out the ol' DigiTech RP 200.

DISLIKES:

Nut is poorly cut. The G pops out sometimes. I've ghetto-remedied it via Hockey tape, but it will eventually require some pro work...
    The open low B is not well defined, but I'm unsure if I can blame this on the bass itself...could be the amp.
    Also, it's a noisy bastard. Single-coils...what are ya gonna do? I may end up getting a couple Carvin 5-string Jazz Bass hums, we'll see. I definatly (Ron?) feel that this is a solid enough instrument to upgrade.

One more thing; Blisters can hurt. Playing fingerstyle bass has taught me at least this much.

For more info on this bass, czech this out;
    Klicken hier!

Re: SX 5-string fretless bass review

definitely*, ha RON, beat ya to it, brother.GiantBaba, nice score man, and happy belated birthday!

Comment

What sound do you get for this amount of money?

Are you about to replace the pickups?

Comment

Definitely! GRRR! I was tired, man! lol

Immortal, I'm able to acheive all the cool fretless sounds. The "Mwahhh", the thump, the slides and smears. As I said in my review, I may get a couple of Carvin 5-string Jazz hums to replace the stock singles, I'm not sure yet. I'll decide whether or not to put more money into the bass after I get a true bass amp.

I paid $173 US shipped.

Comment

"..true bass amp"

*dances around* ampeg SVT's are good for bassists...! haha.

Comment

Working...
          X