G&L Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&L Legacy

I'm on vacation in N. Indiana and other than fishing/camping, not a whole lot to do up here, so I picked up a newspaper in search of guitars. Anyone familiar with a G&L Legacy? I wouldn't mind a good 3 single coil strat. Is $450 a good price? Any gotchas to look out for when looking over the guitar? Thanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Re: G&L Legacy

$450 is not a bad price for an American made Legacy with case. The average ebay price for a good used one is around $450-$600, so if the guitar is in good condition then you will not be losing money. Make sure it is not a Legacy Tribute as those are made in Korea. G & L's are generally well made guitars with good necks and good fretwork. They are considered good values in the used market. The Legacy is the closest they have to a true strat. If you try it out and like the mojo, then you can buy it without having regrets.

Some things to note:

-does it have the certificate with Mrs. Fender's facsimile autograph? It adds a little value.
    -trem arm
    -3 bolt ot 4 bolt neck? 3 bolts are older.
    -upgrades? Pearloid pickguard? Flametop?
    -Legacy special? those have dual-blade pickups and go for about $500.

This is all information I gathered before I bought my Comanche, about a year ago. I hope it helps. Good luck in your search.

-Mike

Comment

I have the George Fullerton Sig. Series and absolutely love it. It has the vintage pickups and Trem. I added a pearloid pickgaurd and really sharpened it up. I have played numerous (as in close to a 100) Fender Strats and none have come close to the craftsmanship the Fullerton is. At that price you really can't go wrong. If you do get her home and decide you don't like it you could at least sell her and get back what you paid plus a couple of bucks. Oh yeah, make sure you check out the neck on those things.... awesome feel with a pronounced V shape. Hope this helps.

Comment

On the flip side of Brads post, I bought brand new almost 9 years ago a George Fullerton G&L. It was the first blonde they ever made and even was signed by George under the pickguard. It was a POS that disgusted me in almost every aspect. The pickups were good, but that was it. I feel bad for the guy who has it today.

Comment

I had a G&L S-500 7 or 8 years ago. Great axe, a Strat up an upgrade to an American Standard Strat in every respect. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one if one came along at the right price.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Great info...thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

If you are really lucky, you might be able to find the ealier Legacy with Seymour Duncans pickups. IHMO, those are the best value for money, and during that era G&L didn't scoope a swimming pool in the body. And the ealier G&L are nice, i used to own a S500, but sold the baby because i prefer wider guitar nut.

My two cents
              Fong

Comment

I have an older S500 with the duncans, and it is awesome it has a really great figured neck,and just feels so solid. get one if you have the chance. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

When did they quite doing the 3 bolt Neck? I have a shot at an old gigged without case Legacy for $350(not shipped price). But that seams high according to some posts above? Jack.

Comment

My personal experience with G&L guitars in general is nothing but an extremely positive one. $450 is a good price for a G&L Legacy (not a Tribute). Go play it (if you haven't already) and if you like it, buy it. G&L guitars are handmade, so they tend to each have their own personalities.

Nick

Comment

It`s a USA model, but I can`t play it, it is about 1000 miles away!! I might go for it. Jack.

Comment

Here's some links to some pics of my Fullerton....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...s/ecec9f3d.jpg
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...Picture112.jpg
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...s/13df921f.jpg

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          When did they quite doing the 3 bolt Neck?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the G & L board, mid 1997:
                          http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/faq.php3#Q10

I have lurked there occasionally and they seem like good people. You can probably have all of your questions answered there. $350 seems like an OK price, depending on condition.

Comment

Got my 96 G&L Legacy for $400 in 98.
                            3 bolt neck, swimming pool route. I added a JB single hum to the bridge, graphite string guides,and locking tuners.
                            I installed a custom pickguard for 2 EMG humbuckers,(pic of 81&85) but switched back to the single coils after getting the Jackson.
                            It was my favorite till I got my SL-2H and Model 6.
                            Finn

Comment

I played Spaceace's G&L today and I was impressed by it. It had tone like no other "Strat" and played quite well. 2 thumbs up here for G&L!

Comment

Working...
                              X