Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is my most meaningful acquisition ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my most meaningful acquisition ever!

Some of you know that while I live in the STL area, I'm from Bozeman, Montana. I miss home immensely even though my wife, daughter, and I get back 2 or 3 times a year. I've always aspired to play the mandolin, and the banjo for that matter. Well, one of the best mandolin brands in the world are Weber. When Gibson and Flatiron were making their acoustics, mandos, dobros and bouzoukis in Bozeman, Bruce Weber was running the mando and Flatiron part. He broke off when Gibson moved to Jersey(I think) and most of the employees in Bozeman stayed behind. Weber mandolins were initially made in Belgrade, MT, a town of 8,ooo about 8 miles from our house, which is in rural Bozeman. They recently moved to Logan, MT which is not too much further.

So 2 weeks ago, my wife takes her lunch break and goes to Fazio's Frets and Friends and, unbeknownst to me, she talks with them about their Webers they have in stock. I wanted the Gallatin model, which is an F style mandolin named after the Gallatin River, which I grew up on and still flyfish regualrly. She was going to buy this mando for me right there on the spot but wanted to make sure it was the one I liked. So we both went up there last Saturday and I walked out with a beautiful, handmade (literally) Weber Gallatin mandolin. Of their F style mandolins, this is the "plainest" of the models. They can get quite ornate and Weber does amazing custom work. These pics are of mine. MOP diamond shaped inlays, cedar top, mahogany back and sides. The finish is called leather, it has Brekke bridge which are considered the best adjustable bridge you can get. The action can be lowered with the strings under tension. As some of you know, I have the most supportive and loving wife a man could want. I'm not just a metal head. I like country, bluegrass, just as much as I like prog metal, blues, and the like. Laurie can play a little guitar and she sings beautifully. I'm helping her with the guitar and we may put together a little acoustic thing down the road a bit. She also plays the flute really, really well and we both sit in with her dad's oldies band (8 members, horn section, 2 keys, guitar ,bass, drums). Anyway, this was supposed to be a post about my mandolin but I also wanted to point out that my wife Laurie is pretty damned amazing.

BTW, Fazio's Frets and Friends in Manchester, MO is the nicest bunch of people. Truly the best experience I've ever had in a music store. They spent several hours with me covering the Webers and the construction, tone woods, etc, and they also treated me great on the price. The Gallatin model lists for around $2055 and, like Mesa, there's not any wiggle room there. We got it for 1800 with a custom fitted hardshell case (leather!). Webers are warrantied for LIFE! If you're into this kind of thing, check them out. Fazio's has a HUGE selection of guitars from Suhr to Melancon, to Dean, to Ibanez, Fender, Taylor, Martin, Breedlove, Rainsong, and a lot of true custom, boutique amps and guitars. Let me know what you think of this mando.

Re: This is my most meaningful acquisition ever!

your wife rocks...the mandolin is wood and metal but a wife that buys it for ya is irreplaceable

Comment

Amen

Comment

Aaah, that's cute! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Cool story, and great looking instrument as well! I;ve always liked the Mandolin.

Comment

Great story and you must be one grateful dude! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Beautiful instrument too. Congrats!

Comment

Kickass mando Tom! Weber's are great.

BTW, we drove through Bozeman yesterday on our way to our new home.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Cool story... but I don't know how you guys can play those things! I've tried, and my fingers are wa-a-a-ay too long to wrap around that tiny little neck - I have no idea how anyone older than twelve can fret those things accurately above the third fret!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Tim,
                  That's cool as hell. If you were driving east, our ranch would be at the base of the mountain range that sat to your right (south) as you drove along I-90. Man, I was was just back home a few weeks ago and I'm already jealous that you were there yesterday.
                  Mandolins initially seem like they'd be harder to play with the small necks, fret spacing, etc. I'm just learning to transition from guitar to mando tuning. The scales and modes do make sense though. I have big hands and I'm starting to get the hang of playing runs on it. Here's someone any musician should listen to....guy named Chris Thile, plays for Nickelcreek, a trio (ac. guitar, violin, and mandolin). Thile is widely considered to be the best mando player alive. The guy absolutely shreds! Sweeps, arpeggios, tremolo picking, string skipping, he does it all. He excels in bluegrass but can shred in virtually any style. At age 13, he was the World Mando champion and was putting out instructional books. Even if you're not into country/bluegrass stuff, take a listen to "Ode to a Butterfly" or any thing he plays on. You will be amazed.

Finally, it's very true that i am very fortunate to ahve a wife such as Laurie. She's my best roadie and can setup a lot of my gear too, including my rack system. She's very, very thoughtful as in the last year or so, she bought me a Custom SHop Rhoads and this mandolin. And that's just the stuff that she's picked out.

Comment

Very cool, I love the tone of those Webers. I have
                    a Godin that I use for recording and playing around.
                    I dig country just as much as I like metal and the best guitarists I know play country. They shred
                    AND use clean tones, so there is no hiding behind distortion.

Comment

Heheh - Battle Of Evermore [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Very cool story. Congrats.

Comment

Cool! Now post pics of Laurie! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

very nice, keep on rockin' brotha

cheers

Comment

Very Cool! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X