What is this Epiphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this Epiphone?

My friend wants me to sell this guitar on ebay for him but I'm not sure what its worth or even what it is. It has "305" on the back of the headstock and has been around obviously. It is quite beaten up and the electronics need work. Tuners are not original (they were all gone when he picked up the guitar at a garage sale for an amount that he wouldn't share with me) and there is obviously some body damage. He says its from the 70's but I've got no idea.

What is this Epiphone? What is this guitar even worth? Should I not even bother selling it?

Re: What is this Epiphone?

oh dude, its like the guitars one of the guys in the Hives plays. its called an Crestwood, or something. He has a three mini hum model, and he says its apparently a great guitar. thats all i got on it. someone check the model name? yeah, it is from the 60-70s era, i hear (then again, i could be wrong).

Comment

I can't remember what this model's called - like the Coronet or something - but Paul Gilbert used to play a '60s version of this guitar back in the early Racer X days. In fact, Ibenhad made him and Boulliet copies of it, IIRC.

The fret access is supposedly great.

Mike
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

It's a Crestwood (good call Seventh Avenged!)...it's similar to the Coronet model Mike had mentioned, but with a few subtle differences. The pickguard is different...the Coronet had that funky PG that covered the controls. And a few of the Coronets had what's known as the "Batwing" headstock (6 inline) which PG and BB from RacerX favored. The Crestwood never had that. Definitely from the mid to late 60's.

Comment

Cool old guitar! I would've said Coronet, so thanks Ken for the info on that!

They did a Coronet line a few years ago with the batwing, 24-fret bound neck with block inlays, a perloid pickguard and OBL pickups, a humbucker in the bridge and a single at the neck. Never played one but I was fairly interested except they only came in hardtails.
          The candy apple red ones looked SWEEEEETTT though!
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Hey I have an old cherry wood I believe batwing coronet stuck in my closet!! Are these things even mildly collectable.This appears to be a set neck, 2 s/coils with old gibson style trembar.
            The guitar actually sounds pretty good.I've been toying with the idea of using it on some tracks lately.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Hey I have an old cherry wood I believe batwing coronet stuck in my closet!! Are these things even mildly collectable.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little. Nothing compared to Gibson, though they were made on the same production line as late '50s & '60s Gibsons. Got pics? I've been looking for one for a while.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/epiphon2.html#crest

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Now I know what it is. Thanks

Comment

Great site and info Eristic....I see by their site that what I actually have is an Olympic.The model with the funky p/guard and hideous knobs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]...I painted the p/g black years ago and changed the knobs shortly after I got it.
                  I'll try and get my step son to take some pics with his new camera this weekend if you're still interested.

Comment

The Olympic was closer in spec to the Coronet than the Crestwood (well they all shared the same body and scale length) If you want to compare in "Gibson terminology" The Crestwood was the top of the line...The "Custom" of the lineup. The Coronet was next...the "Standard"...and then the Olympic...the "Deluxe". They also made a single PU version (forgot what that model was actually called though. (Wilshire?)...there were, of course variations of different spec on all of them throughout the years.

And yes...Batwing headstock Coros are more than mildly collectible. They are probably the most sought after solidbody Epis.

Comment

Jerry from Ghana knows all about these, maybe he will chime in or you could try PMing him. There is plenty of good info in this thread already though.

Comment

My uncle has a '60s solid-body Epi that's a pretty nice player. A bit different than these, however. His reminds me of an SG in some ways.

He also has an early '60s Gibson Hummingbird acoustic that I would love to have, but which I'm sure one of my cousins will get eventually. He even still has the original brochure and 'care instructions' in the case! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

very cool guitars some are collectable & starting to get up in value, not long ago you could buy them for under $500. Dwight was the other, crestwood, olympic & coronet. the old 6 inline batwing headstocks were prone to cracking. i think the one in the pic has a stoptail added. im pretty sure the old ones used a one peice wrap around bridge like a LPjr.

Comment

The Coronet, Olympic, Wilshire and Crestwood were pretty much different names for the different versions of the the same guitar. The Coronet and Olympic were the budget models.

The headstock shape (batwing vs 3+3) and p/g shape vary more by year than by model.

The Crestwood Custom was available with the p-bass style guard and batwing headstock. That's what the aforementioned guy in the Hives plays in their new video.

They are collectible, 'student models' that aren't too **** fetch 7-800 and a nice Crestwood Custom is worth well over $1500.

Check out Daguet guitars, www.daguetguitars.com. This is a French luthier that makes some **** sweet ass guitars based on the Crestwood. This picture gives me a boner, but alas they're way too expensive for me.

Comment

they look a bit like the guitars burns make . there a british guitar company don't know if they sell them in
                              the usa

Comment

Working...
                              X