How good is the music yo kramers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is the music yo kramers?

I have been GASíng for one of the cheap vanguards lately, are they any good?
    I live in sweden so finding a used one is impossible....
    I have found a european shop that sells them for about the same price as music yo so it would cost me about 250 euro shipped.

Should i just save up 100 euro more and buy a rr3 instead, or is the kramer ok?
    I allready have a jrr94 rhoads which i love, but now i need something whith a trem.
    I also think that if i bought it i would sand the finish of the neck and repaint it myself.

So how sohould i do, buy the kramer or a jackson?

and btw here is a link to the guitar:

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=342

Re: How good is the music yo kramers?

Well, I haven't played them personally, but have read many threads on the Baretta series and the concensus seems to be that they're good bang for the buck, but definitely not the same quality as the Jackson imports. Most don't like the Quad Rail pickups either, but they also don't like the Duncan Designed pickups on the RR3 either.

The Vanguard has 24 frets, which I like, but the RR3 has fins and (I think) binding, which makes it look much better - and it's actuaLLY a Jackson, not an altered copy.

I'd say if you have to have a trem'ed guitar right now, the Vanguard would probably keep you happy for awhile. If you can wait to save another 100 Euros, the RR3 would probably keep you happier longer. Oh yeah, the Kramers are more likely to need setups out of the box wheras the Jacksons are decently setup when you get them. If you do your own setups that's no big deal but if you have to bring it to a tech that could eat up most of the price diff. I'd suggest negotiating with your dealer to see if he'll throw in a setup if it's needed. He might, to make the sale.

Either way, they both seem like cool guitars!
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I used to have a Kramer Les Paul copy and it was a pretty good guitar. The entire thing arrived terribly setup, and I had to spend a while making sure the action was really nice and low (but had no buzz) and also was intonated properly. The craftsmanship on the guitars is pretty much what you would expect for a guitar that would cost you $250 brand new. There were little minor flaws on mine and the frets desperately needed to be leveled properly. The guitar stayed in tune reasonably well (nothing to write home about though). The pickup selector switch died after about 3 months of playing it, so I decided to remove the pickups and throw in an EMG 81 / 85 set that I had in my "parts" bin (I'm a Seymour Duncan guy though). The stock pickups were average; they sounded pretty good for clean stuff, blues and standard rock, but they were terrible for high gain situations. I would consider buying another one, but I'd probably first go for a used guitar over one of these.

As far as the Vanguard goes, I've heard some really bad experiences. My friend had one and the trem system wouldn't hold a tune worth a damn, the electronics needed to be replaced after a few months of playing, the frets / fretboard was terrible (frets were all over the place height-wise). Since he couldn't do the work at the time and I didn't exactly know my way around a guitar that well yet he had to bring it into a shop and every few months he brought the guitar back for some other sort of repair. The guitar turned into a money pit and the sounds he was getting out of it with the amount of money he was putting into it was crazy. When he finally decided to stop putting monye into it he had dropped about $300 for the guitar and another $300 for a set of used pickups and repairs and a case...

Comment

Ok, thank you for the replies.
        It seem like i should just buy the jackson

Comment

I have a couple of MusicYo Kramers (a striker 6 with the floyd copy, and a striker 7 with a TOM) and I do like them quite a bit, but as said before, you get about the quality you expect for $250 new (though the level of quality you can expect for a low price has gone up over the last few years which is good for young guys and beginners). The striker 6 feels really nice for me for lead playing especially because it's a little looser and easier to play than the 7.. the 7 kills for rhythm.
          I bought the 7 brand new from musicyo (replaced the TOM bridge a while back because the original was getting really shitty and what I put on is much better) and I bought the 6 used for 100 bucks about a year ago and they're both worth what I paid.
          Now.. I've also purchased a Kramer that I sent back-- Musician's Friend had the Baretta II PRO (and the Vanguard Pro I too) for a little while, seemed to be blowing 'em out, new but they were an older stock because they were from before Gibson changed 'em from Duncans to the Gibson pups. The trem was great (duh, it's an OFR) and the pickups were nice (JB and a Jazz) but the rest of the guitar just didn't work for me for 400 bucks. Maybe I got a lemon or it was just in terrible need of a good pro setup (everything I did didn't seem to help the poor playability and nasty buzz) But I sent it back. I guess for 400 bucks if you get an OFR and a pair of duncans you can't expect much else from it eh?

There's my in-depth review of MusicYo Kramers.. I had a Jackson DR-3 a while back but unloaded it a few months ago (stupid! stupid!), shoulda kept it but I didn't like the trem on it (not really any better than what you get from a Kramer copy trem IMO) and didn't like the "Duncan Designed" humbuckers (I prefer quad rails over those, but real Duncans are my #1 choice...) and didn't like the rosewood fretboard.. I love maple and all of my current electrics (including the one I'm waiting for) have maple.

Comment

Rich, the RR3 is not bound.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My bad.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

i dunno, i heard the quad-rails are great metal pickups, and i heard good stuff about the kramer stuff.

Comment

I own a older original kramer so my opinion will be biased, but i feel that if you do not compare the music yo ones to the older original usa ones they are a good deal for the money. now having said that i would much rather buy a used USA kramer anyday of the week [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I've owned a few Yo Kramers (2 Imperials and one of the Doublenecks)...While I thought the Double was a novel idea...it had a few construction drawbacks...the Imperials however, were very nice guitars for the money. The Quad Rails are pretty hot pickups. I'd say above all, good bang for the buck if you're looking for a cheap axe.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I have found a european shop that sells them for about the same price as music yo so it would cost me about 250 euro shipped.

[/ QUOTE ]

which shop is that? I'd love to get me one of those maple neck barettas
                      "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

http://www.musik-produktiv.de/shop2/...e/52?marke_932

Comment

The Yo's are great guitars for the money. Last December, the neck thru Vanguard with Duncan pickups was $349 for a couple weeks. The neck thru Barettas with Duncans and an Original Floyd Rose were $299. I got went with the Baretta and it's great.

Comment

ah that store.. thanks
                            "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Working...
                            X