PRS Singlecut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS Singlecut

Well now I see why Gibson sued PRS over these guitars...I got to play one of each model this evening, and I can say that they are easily two of the nicest guitars I've ever played, far better than any Gibson I've touched. The neck and fretboard were astounding, the tone was smooth, thick, and clear as a bell, and they both had a great feel. I should add, I've been working with a customer on getting him a Gibson Les Paul Standard...the one they sent me today had a neck that was warped into an S shape almost...it makes me want to steer customers to other brands instead of Gibsons-I really wish we were a Hamer or a Dean dealer.

Re: PRS Singlecut

Gibson is one of the few companies that can offer terrible product, abuse it's customers and dealers, and still have people begging for more. You can spend $3500 on a Historic LP and the first thing people do is replace the pickups, change the nut, upgrade the pots and caps, dress the frets and maybe change the tailpiece. Of course, once you get it sorted out (or if you luck into a very good one) there is nothing like it.

For a lot of people a LP is like a Harley. Anything similar is just a bad imitation.

Comment

Hmmmm, the only Gibsons I had that I would call bad were a 78 Les Paul that had crappy pickups, and a Firebrand The Paul, which was a cheapy. All other Gibsons Ive had have been perfect. Even at the local store, I dont see any of these problem Gibsons that everyone talks about. Perhaps they are shipping all the crap to one store?..........

Comment

It's not one store, believe me.

I bought a brand new 2001 EDS-1275 (Alpine White SG double neck), and one of the tuners was installed incorrectly, the pickup selector switch was wired backwards, and there was guitar polish in the grain of the fretboards.

A friend of mine bought a brand new 2003 Black Beauty Les Paul. All was fine until he tried adjusting the truss rod, which wouldn't compensate for the neck bow. He brought it to an authorized local Gibson repair center, who sent it to Gibson, and four months later Gibson said it was irrepairable and sent him a new one.

Not good.

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

alls i know is, PRS=expensive muthafuckas, but i think they're suh-Weeet! and i hear great things about 'em, and the few i've played, have been gravy baby!

Comment

Ten years ago, I would have bought a PRS without a second thought. Unfortunately, now they seem to be so trendy, that I will forgo the pleasure of owning one simply because they are so commonplace. It's certainly no secret that I have a thing about guitars that are not so popular or common.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I am a Gibson Les Paul Custom(1980,1985,1986 and 1987 models) guy but recently played a PRS Custom 22.I can honestly say it played better right off the shelf than the Les Paul Customs.I have played Gibsons over 20 years.I will defiantely be geting one next..Cort

Comment

I really like PRSs but I am on a mad hunt for a 82 or 83 alpine white Les Paul Custom. All the PRSs I've played were nice but they don't have the mojo to me.

Comment

Well, I recently played back to back a Gibson Les Paul standard, Gibson Les Paul studio, PRS singlecut, and a Heritage 150 CM.

In my opinion, they ranked as follows:

1. Heritage 150 CM- Very very nice, sweet sounding guitar...I already own a very nice one of these, but this one was nicer. Great build quality, really nice sounding and easy to play.

2. PRS singlecut....very nice guitar, very expensive, and I found it a little bit bland. I'm not a big PRS fan, but this was a lovely guitar. Excellent build quality and workmanship, but just not very exciting or with a lot of character.Sounded a bit polite for me.

3. Gibson Les Paul standard....now this is the machine that I aspire to above all others, but it was dissappointing. If I had been blindfolded I would have thought it was an Epiphone....It felt like an Epi, the build quality was nothing special, and it sounded like an Epi.
                  It was a very average guitar.

4. Gibson Les Paul studio....pretty much as expected really..It came across pretty much as the standard but not quite as nice...

Bearing in mind that I am aching for a Les Paul if I had had the money burning a hole in my pocket, and had been determined to go home with a singlecut that day, It would have been the Heritage that I spent my money on.

In my limited experience they are excellent guitars, and are consistently high quality....Heritage make them how Gibson should be making them.....

Comment

I've found with LP's that if you aren't buying a Historic you might as well forget it, at least when comparing one to a PRS. If you can live w/o the flame top you can find a nice '57 Historic as low as $1500 used or $2k or so new. Most of the non-Historics have the chambered body (to reduce the weight). They sort the best quality and lightest wood for the Historics. The Historics also have a very thin (and easily dented) nitrocellulose lacquer finish.

Still, most all PRS stuff I've owned or tried was more consistent and had better build quality than Gibsons. They also have that thick finish that looks like a bullet would ricochet off.

Comment

Please dont leave out Dean (or for that matter, Hamer) if you are talking PRS. I own 2 PRS (CE22 Platinum, CE24 tangerine), and I am a big fan of the PRS bolt ons (I find the neck thru's a bit clumsy), but my Dean hardtails are every bit as nice, and fit and finish is way better. You will NEVER see a Dean HT with a so-so finish. You will see PRS with them.

As far as LP's, well, this is mine, a 68 reissue custom shop custom. Its the ****. It just has its own sound. Dont know why, but it just does. Funny thing is, every time I think I have found something that sounds better, I go and play the custom, and that clears everything right up for me.

Shawn in Tampa
                      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

^he means set-necks, hehe.

Comment

what about the new prs 513? it sounds like it would be a sweet guitar but i havent got to try one yet. i am planning on prs being the 1st brand new guitar i buy, since J/C dont offer a lefthanded model 6, which is what i think they should have brought back rather than the ones they did

Comment

Apart from the slight resemblance, I don't think there is much similarity between any PRS and a Les Paul--they sound totally different. I used to be a Les Paul guy and have owned three PRS's as well. There is no other guitar that will give you the Les Paul sound, except maybe a Japanese "Lawsuit Les Paul". As far as quality goes, most of the recent Les Pauls I've tried in stores haven't seemed as nice as the late '70s-early '80s LPs I owned in the past. They might sound fine, but the playability just isn't the same. What's with the small frets? Even the LP Customs you see now have those small high frets. To me that's not really a Les Paul.

Comment

didn;t Customs always come with really low-wide frets? i thought that was was the reason they were called the Fretless Wonders [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X