Steinberger GT Pro Review w/Pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steinberger GT Pro Review w/Pic

I took a chance and got a Steinberger GT Pro (PIC) off eBay (would've got one new, but MusicYo is out of stock on the H/S/H model), and I gotta say, I'm impressed. This is the model with the small, rectangular body. I always thought it would be cool to have one, but I hesitated to take the plunge because I had never played one before (none available locally). I thought a review would be helpful to others who might be in the same position I was in.

First, it's very comfortable to play either sitting or standing. One thing I love is being able to play it sitting in a chair that has arms, with no problem at all. It does have a tendency to rotate away from your body (towards your feet) when played standing, but the thing is so light, it's no problem to hold it straight with your fretting hand. The controls and pickups are placed pretty close together (out of necessity, since the body is so small). It hasn't been much of a problem for me, but I've read other posts complaining about it. I would like to lower the middle single coil (which I never use) to get it completely out of the way, but I can't. It seems to be some kind of direct mount (or else it has just hit the end of its travel). I only use the bridge pickup on my guitars, so the others just get in my way. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The neck is Les Paul-like in backshape, which is thicker than the Soloists I'm used to, but it's not a problem at all. I had planned to shave it to match my SL4's profile, but I'm not so sure I will now. It's actually very comfortable the way it is.

It appears to be a high quality instrument with some advanced features (30" total length, a clever bridge that can be locked for hardtail use or unlocked for trem use, etc.) It stays in tune very well and actually sounds very good with its EMG Select pickups. Yup, you heard me right. I have no problem with the EMG Selects.

Overall, it's a blast to have around. I wish I would've bought one years ago. If you're thinking about one, I'd recommend it.

Re: Steinberger GT Pro Review w/Pic

thanks for the review man. i was thinking about pulling the trigger on one of the yo steinbergers but i got a JS warrior instead. mainly cause of the i can play it here factor.
    can you tune those things down with the double ball strings?
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Looks cool and glad you are happy with it.
      How well does it stay in tune?

I used to have one of old Hohner copy one with 2hum in 1986 or 7.
      I didn't know where to get these replacement strings(double ball strings) so...I was never able to add new strings after I broke couple of them.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, congrats!

Comment

I believe you can get an attachment for the end of the neck that allows you to use regular strings on a Steinberger.

I had the 'real' Steinberger GL-4T years and years ago. The great thing about that one was the graphite composite material it was made out of--no need for a truss rod, since it would never go out of adjustment. The TransTrem was a bit fiddly. Yours has what is known as the "R-Trem"--not quite as stable in tuning as the S-Trem or Trans-Trem, but pretty decent. I really liked the little 'paddle' body--seemed really comfortable to play, and the 'lever' attachment on the body made it comfortable to play sitting down, as well.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. You can get an adapter alloinwg regular-string use; in fact, this one came with one. The adapter appears to be of very high quality, solid steel. MusicYo sells the adapters for $25.

I'd love to try out one of the original graphite Steinbergers sometime. I'm sure mine wouldn't compare to one of those. Nevertheless, it's sure fun, and it doesn't appear to have any "cheap" looking or feeling aspects, which I really appreciate.

To respond to buzzsaww's question, I haven't tried down-tuning it yet, but I don't think there should be a problem. It might be really easy, as the bridge has a large, master tuning knob that you can use to move the entire bridge, changing the entire tuning. I understand that you are supposed to use that to balance the bridge between locked and unlocked positions so it will maintain the same tuning between them, not to change tunings, but I bet it would work for that, too. As far as drop-D tuning, I think the fact that it compresses the spring instead of stretching it, as the Floyd Rose does, would help maintain stability, as it seems to help the other strings stay in tune when you bend one, unlike my Floyds. Mind you, I love Floyds. I do like the feel of my Floyds better than this bridge, which is kinda stiff. But I'm getting used to it, and I do like its clever ideas. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X