Epiphone G-400 vs Gibson Voodoo SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone G-400 vs Gibson Voodoo SG

OK, does anyone have one of these things? It's the Epiphone version of the Gibson SG. I've always really applauded the quality of Epiphone guitars, having owned a few that I've never been disappointed with. This particular model has the smaller pickguard, like the early 60's Epiphones, which I prefer to the larger pickguards on Gibson SG Standards. GuiTtarget(GC/MF) has these things for $350 new, which sounds like a good deal. I'd love a real '61 reissue, or better yet a real '61, but in the meantime, this looks like a decent guitar, anyone here with any opinions on these?

Another guitar I am looking at is the Gibson Voodoo SG. I know it's not a "real" SG with a swamp ash body, ebony fretboard, and that sort of weird finish, but it does have a distinct look that I kind of dig. It looks like it might be a interesting guitar. Anyone know anything about these? [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Re: Epiphone G-400 vs Gibson Voodoo SG

I had a G-400, indeed a nice gutiar for the price. I find the voodoo ugly and as you already mentioned, isn't really an SG with an ash body. I have noticed that most, if not all, of the unbound ebony board Gibsons I've owned/checked out had shitty sharp frets hanging off the end of the board. I'd be concerned about that if you're ordering sight unseen. If it were me? I'd save the money and get the G-400, and I'm a die-hard Gibson guy. But I have to ask, why not consider a used standard for less than a new voodoo?

Comment

I've considered a used standard, but the Voodoo just has a different vibe to it than the usual SG. "Ugly" is a matter of opinion, but a valid one none the less. I think the Voodoo lured me in with that damn payment plan, where for $28/mo I could have a new Gibson. Of course that would just end up being another fuking bill in the pile that seems to get harder to pay every single month. I think I might just save up a few bucks for the G-400 and then drop in some new pickups and hardware as time goes on.

Comment

I had a black G400C, the 3 pickup model. I replaced the bridge pickup and machines and the guitar was a killer for cheap money. I hated the 3 volumes and 1 tone control, so I disconnected the middle pickup and wired it like a 2 pickup model. 2 vol and 2 tone. I gigged heavily with it and enjoyed the hell out of it.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

1 of my students has a G400 Epi. Nice guitar. I had several "real" SG's and the G400 stands up no problem. My student got his used on Ebay for $250.00 with case. BTW... the stock pickups sounded great in it.

Comment

I've had a few SGs, but they were all vintage ones, so my testimony isnt too relevant. I found that the Epi G400 was far from the SG, in terms of sound, build and feel. I found the G400 to have a thicker body, a really insane thick poly finish, and of course that hardware......I once tried a modern Faded SG, and although I didnt like it, I'd still say its a very different guitar than the G400........

Comment

I picked up a Voodoo SG about a year ago. One of the online places had them on sale for $799 and like Ace, I thought it had kind of cool vibe so I figured "what the heck".

I do dig the oddball finish on it. The fretwork on mine is fine. I think they could have left the fretboard totally blank instead putting that cheezy looking skull thing on the fifth fret and it would look better, but I guess it kind of grew on me. The bridge pickup is pretty close to the strings and it is super bright and loud.

One thing I noticed right off was that the balance is a little different, not bad, just different because of the swamp ash body being fairly light.

It comes with a cool looking case.

All in all I like mine. I don't play it very often but I'll probably hold on to it.

Comment

I had a G400 and also have an early 60s Gibson SG that it was patterned after. The Epi is definitely a very different guitar, but a nice SG for the money.

AMS has the Vintage version of the G400 for $389. It has a "worn" looking finish and neck binding, which the regular G400 doesn't have.
                To me the binding makes a difference, which is why I sold my Epi G400 and got a Samick SG450
                which is their version of that guitar, and also a nice SG for the $.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

One of my best friends has a G400 and its a great playing guitar, sounds decent too for the price (electronics wise), but DAMN gibson makes fat necks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    To me the binding makes a difference

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.

Comment

Working...
                    X