Whats up with Gibson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats up with Gibson?

I just got my Musicians Friend catalog and it had a Gibson brochure in it. It must have cost quite a bit to mail out all those color brochures. That makes me wonder how their sales are doing if they are doing that.... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I wonder if things are getting tight for sales and they are needing to drum up more business??? any ideas on that?
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: Whats up with Gibson?

Gibson has banned all internet advertising of their guitars. Now places like MF have to send out literature to let people know they carry all Gibson products.

Comment

Oh, for those that haven't read the dealer memo floating around:

Recently you received a letter from Gibson regarding significant changes in the company's web policy. Gibson's intent is to drive more customers into your store, thus making your store a destination location. It has always been Gibson's desire to have sales of their instruments be done on a personal level, not on a "point and click" shopping cart level. It is only when the end consumer interacts with your sales staff can the "Gibson story" be told, and an instrument be truly matched to that individual consumer's personal needs.

Pursuant to that goal, and effective immediately, all authorized Gibson & Epiphone dealers are expected to comply with the following:

Internet sales of all new Gibson Brand instruments and products, including Gibson USA, Gibson Montana, Gibson Memphis, Gibson OAI, Slingerland, Tobias, Gibson Custom/Historic, Epiphone, Valley Arts, Gibson Strings and Accessories are to cease immediately.
      All authorized GMI dealers will be allowed to advertise that they are an "AUTHORIZED GIBSON DEALER" and link to the Gibson website, www.gibson.com.
      Photos of "in-stock" instruments currently in dealer's inventory will not be allowed to be published on dealer's website.
      Consumers are to be encouraged to actually visit the store to purchase instruments, or contact the store regarding a purchase via phone or email. Authorized GMI dealers will be allowed to email consumers photos of specific guitars in dealer's inventory.
      Specific artwork and advertising templates for authorized dealers will be made available for dealer's use on their websites. These materials will be made available for download on Gibson's internet press site, www.gibson.com/press.
      Advertising outside of dealer's immediate market area as specified in the Gibson Dealer Agreement will not be allowed. This includes (but not limited to) any printed materials such as catalogs, flyers, etc. If there is a question as to your specific market area, please contact XXXXXXXXXXX at Gibson, XXXXXXXXXXX, XXXX.
      Sales of new Gibson brand instruments at guitar shows, music events, concerts, music festivals, etc. outside of dealer's approved market area are not allowed.

Comment

Gibson and Fender aren't worried about anything. They now have a cartel on the guitar making industry and are currently working as hard as they can to put independent builders like Lentz, Anderson, GMW etc. out of buisiness.

Comment

Damn, HTF can they get away with that [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] ? That cannot be legal. It is so obviously anti-competitive / anti-trust-like, and the consumers will end up paying higher prices because of it.

I was seriously considering purchasing something high end Les Paul-like for the stable. This action has just made me scratch Gibsons off my list of options. I won't even consider doing business with a company like that. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Wait a sec...

Are you sure about that, Jim? I just checked MF and Sam Ash's web sites, and they both still have all of their Gibby's listed. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

we'll see if the retailers are willing to hold up there end of the deal. i've heard that becuase of this demand by gibson as well as the MAP price soaring high as hell, that GC and SA are seriously considering dropping Gibson completely. i'm anxious to see who wins this battle.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

GIBSON IS GOING **** THEMSELVES IN THE ASS WITH THIS ACTION LOL

Comment

I know they are trying to save the local dealers, but this is pretty high-handed. I know, I'll walk into a local strip mall music store, whose rent payments would choke a horse, and be happy to plop down the full price, and maybe then some. Not!!! If I want a Gibson, I will buy it on the net and forgo the "Personal Gibson Experience". What a bunch of hooey. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Trust me, Guitar Center is not going to drop Gibson any time soon...in fact we're gonna push Gibson even more now since we are really the biggest Gibson dealer in the world.

Comment

WOW, I cant imagine a company not allowing internet sales in this day and age. Thats a strange move. I mean, the whole world is moving more towards "E business" and internet sales. I dont know how they feel they can make it go without the net. thats certainly a gutsy move. wow......

Comment

What they're trying to do is go old-school and make buying a Gibson a more personal experience, kinda like in the old days I guess. Maybe the higher-ups at Gibson think that internet dealing is too impersonal, and when I had my Gibson training, there was a big emphasis on all the stuff that they do at the factory that's supposed to reflect quality and old-school craftsmanship. Works good for me since I get paid on commision, but I don't think that it's gonna make for a very fair market. Personally I'd buy another PRS or a Hamer before I bought a Gibson though.

Comment

I understand their old school approach, but I just dont think its gonna work in todays world. Yes the internet is impersonal, but most people dont care. They are consumers who have money to spend, and they want everything NOW! I think they are making a mistake on this one. we will see....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Gibson has banned all internet advertising of their guitars. Now places like MF have to send out literature to let people know they carry all Gibson products.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            I believe MF can still show Gibsons on their site and in their catalogs.. at least the newest catalog shows them and so does the website still. They're a part of GC anyway. The stupid little Gibson brochure was sent by Gibson saying here is your new MF catalog enclosed. The brochure isn't really that big and doesn't go into detail about any of their guitars... it's just basically a "look at some of the guitars we make and some people that play them".
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This sounds to me like they're just doing a marketing move to try and say "Look at us, we forge a relationship with our customers instead of selling things to them over the cold and inhuman internet." By getting people into the stores its much easier to sell them a guitar when you can talk about the fine craftsmanship and the amount of detail that goes into the guitars. Sales people can direct customers towards specific guitars (the higher priced ones) and thus make Gibson (and their store) a lot of money.

I'd never buy a new Gibson in a store, the prices are hiked up so high its not even funny in most stores other than the super chains. I've seen Les Paul Studio's at the hole in the wall shops going for over $2,000!

Boxcar, you work at GC, so maybe you can answer my question. Is GC making some sort of move to carry mainly Fender / Gibson? Every GC in my area has a huge wall of Fenders and Gibby's and then maybe 5 Ibanez, 5 Jacksons and a couple of assorted Schecters.

Comment

Working...
                              X