Lp Custom or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lp Custom or not?

Hi, I've just sold all the guitars that were sitting in my room collecting dust day after day(a 1996 Gibson Flying V reissue '67 and an old Yamaha rgx211m with maple board).

Now my only axe is the 1994 Soloist I use to play in my thrashing death band and for practice in general (i find it perfect to play Satriani/Vai kind of stuff).

I'm starting a new band pretty different form the other (kind of Motorhead/Pride and Glory/Sabbath related stuff) and so I'm looking for the right axe for the job.

Probably I'll end buying a Les Paul, but I'm still considering other kind of guitar. any Suggestions?

What do you think of the LP? I just tried different versions and I'm still trying to make my mind about this guitar...

I tried a studio version that sounded pretty muddy... and the neck profile seems really "fat" to me...

I tried also a couple of Lp custom that sounded really good to me. I really like the ebony board feeling, also the neck was "faster" than the studio version.

Aesthetic of the guitars isn't really an issue to me anyway from a pretty close inspection of the customs I've tried it seems that Gibson can't compare to Jackson... my soloist seems to have better binding, fretwork and general finish.

here in Italy used LP custom goes from 2000 to 3000 euros, a lot of money if you ask me, so I'm trying to figure out if it worth what it cost. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

hope you will give me your opinions!

Re: Lp Custom or not?

I would love to have a LPC.
    I prefer Ebony fingerboard over Rosewood.
    So Custom is my choice as well.
    They are expensive.
    Some 80's used LPC seems cheaper on E-bay and some 90's.
    I have seen these sell around $1200-1600 and some newer ones sell for little more.
    I would love to get one and put jumbo frets and EMGs or Duncan.
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Damn bro, I am in the same bind. I find myself wanting a LPC off and on, but now I am being tempted by PRS as well.

Comment

You've already got the perfect guitar for that or any other type of music - A Jackson. While the LP Custom and Standard are long-time all-purpose guitars and DO have their own sound, there's nothing that really makes them "better" or "worse" than a Jackson. If you get a Les Paul, get it because you WANT one, not because someone recommended that you get one. I'll probably never part with my LP Standard, but then again I haven't really played it in months. I have Jacksons that I haven't played in months as well, and tend to favor 2 or 3 specific ones for the most part. If the Soloist is doing what you like well enough, I'd say stick with it. If you want a Les Paul, get one.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, I'm not looking for a better guitar... I'm looking for a different guitar.

My Jackson will remain my main axe for a certain kind of music but now I'm looking for something with a different vibe... something warmer and less sharpen sounding.

Probably with the right mods on the soloist I would be able to get closer to the sound I'm seeking (now it has a Duncan Distortion at the bridge... not exactly what I call a 'warm' pu ) but I like the actual sound I get from my Sl1 and dont'even think to change it.

I really like the LP and think it would be ok for the sound I've been looking, anyway, as I said in my previous post, I'm still considering other kind of guitars.

Comment

Ah I get it. While I'm more the type that would adjust EQ to get different tones (like, a massive rack unit EQ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), I can see where you're coming from [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In that case, if you can't find an LP, you might look into an Explorer. SGs are nice, but I've found them to be nose-heavy and a little bit light.

Maybe a Jackson JJ or Kelly? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

hmmmm... Jackson JJ..... [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

I think I'm going to do some serious shop touring in the near future...

Comment

If you're interested in a Les Paul chck out a Jackson JJP,kinda like a 1-hum smaller Les Paul!!

Comment

Apples and oranges. The only thing that sounds and responds like a Les Paul is a Les Paul.
                  If you want a Les Paul-ish guitar, there are a ton of choices. If you want a Les Paul, there is only one. Gibson.

Comment

Les Pauls are my favorite guitar. Although i only have a Greco Les Paul Custom and a 1983 Gibson Studio [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

Get a Gibson Les Paul Custom..I have 4....1980,1985,1986 and 1987.They can be found used around $1500.Some more some less.I have had over 10 the past 25 years.I usually don't part with them.I recently got a nice used PRS STD 22.Another great guitar.I think the PRS are the best off the shelf guitar made right now.IMHO...Cort

Comment

So ....who has pix of their LPC on JCF?

Comment

Here is a picture of Cort's LPCs.
                          I need one of these White LPCs!
                          [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            So ....who has pix of their LPC on JCF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is mine.

EJ

Comment

Thanks Dinkyjacksonman...Cort..I'll get pics of the 3 pickup Black Beauty soon...

Comment

Working...
                              X