My new Cobra, er,...I mean, my new GMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Cobra, er,...I mean, my new GMP

A couple months ago I started selling off a bunch of my guitars and stuff to raise money for a Wayne Star with hot rod flames. Thought I wanted it more than any guitar EVER, and then I clicked onto the Easton Guitars site and saw this:

I immediately filled my trousers with man sap and decided that THIS, and NOT the Wayne, was the axe for me. So after numerous calls to Kevin...not to mention a few PMs to several of my trusted JCF bros (thanks Sully, Keith, and Chuck), I decided to finally snag it.

It arrived yesterday. I was so busy, I only had a little time to fondle/strum it. This morning, I took a couple quick snaps. Here they are (and they're not as good as the ones on Easton's site).

I obviously haven't had a chance to plug this into my Marshall, so I'll give a follow up report once I do. But I will tell you my first impressions:

I have never EVER seen a guitar of better build quality, finish, etc. This thing is a freaking work of art. I don't know if this is par for the course with all GMPs or just because this was a winter NAMM guitar. (By the way, my second NAMM show guitar). The Shelby finish is incredible. Just enough sparkle to be cool, but not over the top. The abalone inlays are the most colorful I've ever seen, and the ebony slab fingerboard is simply amazing.

The neck has a thicker feel than on most of my other guitars, though not as thick as the baseball bat I recently tried out on a Gibson Custom Shop firebird. It fits my hand perfectly and feels great.

Speaking of that Gibby custom Shop firebird (which came with a $2000 plus price tag) -- this thing BLOWS IT AWAY on all counts. I have to tell you that I was literally shocked that the Gibby was a custom shop. It just felt and looked cheap...cheaper than some of the imported Korean Deans/Schecters you're seeing these days. Very, very sad.

Anyway...the GMP. It's awesome, and I can't tell you how glad I am I finally decided on this over the Wayne. Thanks Kevin, for a great deal and a great set up.

I will post again tomorrow once I've had a chance to crank it up. And by the way...this will make its on-stage debut Monday, September 20th at New York City's legendary Irving Plaza...

Like Sully always says...good times. REALLY good times.

Re: My new Cobra, er,...I mean, my new GMP

Very nice..... Love the Color....

Comment

Dammit! Do you own ANY guitars that aren't totally cool?
      [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Beautiful guitar. Good luck with it.

Comment

Yes, like You said, a work of art. Very gorgeous axe. Plus I'm very partial to the Firebird shape. This makes me consider getting a GMP in the future.

Comment

Bitchen Guitar!!!
            GMP Guitars are indeed works of art. I can't imagine how they can have such attention to detail and still get product out the door. Incredible guitars. Congratulations!!!

Comment

hey tom, i was wondering this morning if you pulled the trigger on that bad boy! good times indeed, muthafucka!

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I almost pulled the trigger on that one 2 weeks ago. Looks awesome.

Comment

Don't forget to drop me a line and remind me about that gig. I will definitely try and make it.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Congrats!
                      [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

That is a sweet one. Good luck with it.
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

So I took it home and had band practice last night.

Ooof.

Great growl, nice and meaty. Thicker than my Dean TC V.

Here's another bonus I was hoping for: It fits me. Literally. My wife and bandmates say it's a perfect size/shape for me, cause I'm a big guy. (I made my Les Paul look like a toy!)

I think I'll keep it!

Comment

Ah, I wavered between that one and the NAMM double cut I just bought. I'm contemplating that exact finish as a custom order.

Comment

I love your double cut with the cross!

How great are these guitars, bro? I mean, I've NEVER been more impressed with a guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X