Aria Pro II Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aria Pro II Les Paul

I just came home from my brothers place. Played his yellow sunburst Aria Pro II LP. My brother bought it from one of my friends back in the 1980's for $80. My brother doesn't play guitar (never did), he thought it looked cool back then, so he bought it and hung it on his wall. It's been hanging there ever since. My friend sold it to my brother because he wanted another guitar and quite frankly thought the Aria played like ****. I think i agreed at that time. Shitty guitar. Note: we were guitar newbies and could play Smoke on the water and..... yeah, that was it.

Now, me, many years later, many guitar experiences later and a much better guitar player - took the Aria LP down from the wall, where it had been hanging in a thin steel wire wrapped around its headstock for so many years, the wire cutting deeper every day into the red stained wood. Torture. It didn't bother me, it has never bothered me, you know shitty guitar - until i tuned it up today and hit the first note. WTF! Massive tone! Mind you, my brother doesn't have an amp of course, so i'm playing this LP un-amplified. I'm doing Hideaway (Healey version) and it sounds so good! No matter how hard i hit the E chord theres NO twang or boooing. It's rock solid and i like that! I remember now. I had a black Gibson LP Custom back in the 80's and it had the same tone to it. Huge, loud and solid. The intonation on the Aria is just great and the old strings sounds very fresh.

I don't know exactly where i'm going with this [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but damn that Aria played great! I asked if he would consider selling it, but never got a straight answer. Maybe later. I really feel dumbfounded to ignore that guitar back then and then love it today. Man, that makes me wonder what guitars i discarded back then, that might have been great players. That's funny.

Anyone have any comments on these old 80's Aria Pro II's?
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: Aria Pro II Les Paul

Something like this? This one is also from early 80's.
    I think they are good guitars.
    Congrats!

Comment

When you're a kid you think if it doesn't have the big brand name, it's sh!t. When you get to knowing what you're doing, you realize it's wood, plastic and metal, and take it on its own merits. Aria Pro IIs are nice guitars, though some of them are ugly (RS Knight Warrior).

Persevere with your brother, but don't lead him to think it's a high-line guitar or he may sell it on the open market thinking he'll get more for it.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Those Aria Pro II Super Basses from the 80s are some of the nicest basses I've ever played!

Comment

Most of the Japanese made Arias are/were very high quality guitars and basses. Somewhere in the mid/late80s they started building them in Korea those are pure junk. It may be ugly but I love my RS Knight Warrior. It was gigged heavily in the 80s.

Comment

I'm with ya, Mudkicker! I have a Westone Paduak I from 1982; nice guitar but it is ugly looking. To me it's beautiful, but it's my baby so I have to like it.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Persevere with your brother, but don't lead him to think it's a high-line guitar or he may sell it on the open market thinking he'll get more for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] When i showed interest in it, he immediately jokingly said that by now it would probably be worth around $450 due to its vintage character and age. He don't know sh*t about that, so we both laughed.

dinkyjacksonman, i haven't bought it so no congrats are needed [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I don't have a pic of the guitar, but it does not have the headstock you showed in your pictures and it has kinda trapeze shaped inlays in a rosewood fretboard.

Did these Aria Pro II had serialnumbers? My brothers don't.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
              X