Ibanez RG vs Jackson Dinky low end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG vs Jackson Dinky low end

I have to JDR 94s which I really like and am not really going to replace, but I've always been curious about MIJ RGs mainly because I really dig my MIJ Ibanez basses (Im primarily a bass player in bands). I just tried one that was in the local GC and got the

As the owner of (former and current) many Jackson and Ibanez guitars....
    I like them both. One is my favorite (here's a clue - I am not a member of Jemsite). And, while they are both fairly similar (certainly no Strat vs LP situation), one of them makes me play differently from all other brands - Ibanez feels like I should be playing "technically correct" music.

As to the differences. That can't actually be answered. I've found that it will vary from model to model.
    But, in general, I don't think you will hate Ibanez or replace Jackson (other than the fact that Ibanez are readily available on the used market, making it far easier to acquire many).

Comment

Haha actually I never thought of your point that Ibanez makes you feel like you should play a certain way, kind of like if you have a tuxudo on you feel you should act classier, I can see that like Paul Gilbert is frowning at your sloppy scales, lol. Well I love Ibanez basses and Jackson guitars not a bad combo

Comment

You have good taste is all I can say. What kind of basses do you have since you mention they’re mij? I personally want a SR885
        Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
        My collection also there!

Comment

Sorry, I have horded 3 SR885, but it's practical: 2 to take to each gig, and 1 extra at home in case something has to be at shop. but yeah perfect versatile bass, I have the JJ versions and replaced with EMGS but totally happy with them (except for the occasional Korn joke, lol)

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
            Haha actually I never thought of your point that Ibanez makes you feel like you should play a certain way, kind of like if you have a tuxudo on you feel you should act classier, I can see that like Paul Gilbert is frowning at your sloppy scales, lol. Well I love Ibanez basses and Jackson guitars not a bad combo

Not just playing.
            They also make me concerned about tone. I am always flipping the switch and spinning the knobs.
            Just looking at the RG, their lines are very straight. Like they were drawing on a grid and said every thing needs to be parallel. Everything about them just makes me want to be "pristine" - that's just not me.

*and yes, I do know about how a tuxedo makes you want to act classy - and Cadillac makes you want to put on a tuxedo.

But, to the original question - while they are their own guitar, they are very similar to Jackson. Jackson vs Ibanez, while I have my preference, is certainly not a Gibson vs Fender kind of difference where if you like one you will loathe the other.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              Jackson vs Ibanez, while I have my preference, is certainly not a Gibson vs Fender kind of difference where if you like one you will loathe the other.
              You should have seen what JCF was like in the 2000s. We were very prejudiced towards Ibanez and took every opportunity to make fun of that brand. It was really bizarre in retrospect.

OP, is half of your first post cut off mid-sentence?

I agree with pianoguyy's observations of buying used Jackson and Ibanez guitars. I'm known to say inexpensive Jacksons and Charvels are plentiful on the used market, but inexpensive used ibanez guitars might actually outnumber them in my experience. In the past three years I think I managed to scoop up more Ibanez deals (the majority of them being Japanese Ibanez guitars) than Jacksons and Charvels combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                OP, is half of your first post cut off mid-sentence?
                Yes, and he posted twice, the other time with the complete thought.
                My dumbass responded to the one that was cut off even though I specifically thought I was doing it on the longer one.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post

You should have seen what JCF was like in the 2000s. We were very prejudiced towards Ibanez and took every opportunity to make fun of that brand. It was really bizarre in retrospect.
                  In 1987, when Vai ripped off Grover....
                  I probably would have been right there with ya. Poking fun at Ibanez, king of the knockoffs.
                  But, today, 2019, just looking at designs and specs and measurements.... I say they are similar. Because they are.

Comment

Sorry, It did get cut off, I basically was wondering why RGs seemed to be so much thinner sounding than dinkys, when spec wise they seem very similar: same size basswood(usually, I guess) bodies, very thin maple necks, floating trems. I'm not super picker or a tone wood nut, but I've noticed everytime I've picked up a MIJ RG, even though they feel fantastic.

Comment

I meant super picky, not super picker, lol

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
                        Sorry, It did get cut off, I basically was wondering why RGs seemed to be so much thinner sounding than dinkys, when spec wise they seem very similar: same size basswood(usually, I guess) bodies, very thin maple necks, floating trems. I'm not super picker or a tone wood nut, but I've noticed everytime I've picked up a MIJ RG, even though they feel fantastic.
                        the stock v1/v2 pickups are pretty vanilla sounding...later they put in v7/v8 which had some midrange cut out and they were...well not good either...that being said i have a few late 80's 550's with the stock v1/v2 set and theyve aged very well but theyre not really for metal...long story even longer, theres a reason why many people replace the pickups in those guitars...i run duncan customs in some but when i want thick i turn to the ones with gravity storm pickups in them...d.m.
                        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Working...
                        X